Thursday, November 29, 2012
ABC Picks Up More Episodes of Last Man Standing, Malibu Country; FX Schedules Season 2 of Anger Management for January 17, 2013
ABC has picked up five additional episodes each of Friday night comedies Last Man Standing and Malibu Country, giving each series 18 total episodes each for this season. These pick-ups join previously announced orders for new drama Nashville, new comedy The Neighbors, and sophomore drama Scandal. Both comedies Last Man Standing and Malibu Country air Friday nights at 8:00 and 8:30pm ET/PT, respectively, on ABC. Since its season premiere on Nov. 2, ABC sophomore comedy Last Man Standing starring Tim Allen is the top-rated show in Friday's 8:00pm half-hour with Adults 18-49 (2.1/7). Boosting its time period year to year by 76% in Total Viewers and by 91% in Adults 18-49 on average, Last Man Standing premiered with ABC’s biggest numbers in the Friday 8pm half-hour in well over 2-1/2 years – since 1/1/10.
Retaining 100% Adult 18-49 lead-in (2.1/7) from Last Man Standing and gaining total viewers, ABC's Malibu Country starring Reba stands as TV's most-watched freshman comedy this season (8.7 million). The new ABC sitcom is No. 1 in the time period across all key Women demographics (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54) and is the broadcast leader with Teens 12-17. Like its lead-in, the sitcom is producing big year-over-year increases for ABC, improving its half-hour by 85% in Total Viewers and by 91% in Adults 18-49 from the same nights last year. Among Adults 18-49, Malibu Country opened as Friday's top-rated scripted series debut on any network in over 5 years -- since October 2007.
The comedies premiered late in the fall so a full season is probably not necessary to order, but 18 episodes should be enough to last them the rest of the season. ABC will air seven episodes each through December, so at least 11 episodes will be able to air from Jan-May. ABC has yet to announce its midseason 2013 schedule, so we will give that to you as soon as it is announced. With the additional episodes for Malibu Country, we now know the fate for all of ABC's fall freshman series as 666 Park Avenue and Last Resort are the only ones not moving forward after the initial 13 episodes.
FX has announced its early 2013 release dates, which includes season two of Charlie Sheen's sitcom Anger Management. First up, the Emmy(R) Award-winning Justified returns for its fourth season on January 8, and will continue to run Tuesdays at 10pm ET/PT. Anger Management will begin its back-90 run on Thursday, January 17 with consecutive episodes at 9:00 & 9:30pm before airing in its regularly scheduled timeslot of Thursdays at 9:30pm ET/PT. Charlie Sheen stars as "Charlie," a non-traditional therapist specializing in anger management. FX's acclaimed animated series Archer returns for its fourth season starting January 17 and will air Thursdays at 10pm ET/PT. Archer is an animated, half-hour comedy that revolves around the International Secret Intelligence Service (ISIS) and the lives of its employees. FX will premiere its newest original comedy series Legit, on January 17 at 10:30pm ET/PT immediately following Archer. In Legit, Jim Jefferies is an edgy, foul-mouthed stand-up comedian from Australia, in his mid-30s and living in LA, struggling to make his life and career more "legit," only to find it a difficult, uncomfortable uphill struggle every step of the way. Jim is encouraged in his quest by Steve (Dan Bakkedahl), his neurotic best friend and roommate, a cyber-law library salesman who struggles to stay on his feet in the wake of a divorce, and Steve's brother, Billy (DJ Qualls), who suffers from advanced staged Muscular Dystrophy and is confined to a wheelchair. FX has ordered 13 episodes of Legit.
In late night, Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell will return with a new cycle of episodes Thursday, January 17 at 11pm ET/PT. Totally Biased, from Bell and Executive Producers Chris Rock, Chuck Sklar and Keri Smith Esguia, stars standup comedian W. Kamau Bell as he hilariously dissects politics, pop culture, race, religion, sex and the media from his own unique point of view. The show features live guests and taped segments.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, March 5
The Big Bang Theory - "The Colonization Application" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Trouble arises when Amy learns Sheldon has applied for a one-way mission to colonize Mars. Also, a trip to the pet store ends in a fight for Sheldon and Amy, Leonard surprises Penny with a very “adult” purchase, and, Raj is caught snooping in Emily’s apartment.
The Odd Couple - "The Birthday Party" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar realizes he’s forgotten Felix’s birthday, he pulls together a last-minute surprise party in his honor in an attempt to impress Casey.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Cleanroom Infiltration" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Leonard and Wolowitz nearly come to blows and turn to Raj for help in dealing with a work emergency. Meanwhile, Amy throws an authentic Victorian Christmas party, and Sheldon seeks revenge on her for making him celebrate the holidays.
Mom - "Dirty Money and a Woman Named Mike" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie are shocked when they discover how prison has changed their friend Regina. Octavia Spencer returns as Regina. Jaime Pressly returns as Jill.
Thursday, March 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Catch Will on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Tiffani stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew guest co-hosts The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jonathan Banks (Community/Fired Up) - Jonathan appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Stacey Dash (Clueless) - Stacey reveals what it was like working with Bill Cosby and discusses her own parenting style on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Ritter (The Class) - Jason is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne talks about DIG on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Dan Bucatinsky (Marry Me) - Dan talks about Marry Me and Who Do You Think You Are on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Mircea Monroe (Episodes) - Mircea talks about the season finale of her Golden Globe-winning show on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Debby Ryan (Jessie/The Suite Life on Deck) - Debby is a guest on Fox & Friends on Fox News Channel at 7:22am and on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.