Thursday, November 29, 2012
ABC Picks Up More Episodes of Last Man Standing, Malibu Country; FX Schedules Season 2 of Anger Management for January 17, 2013
ABC has picked up five additional episodes each of Friday night comedies Last Man Standing and Malibu Country, giving each series 18 total episodes each for this season. These pick-ups join previously announced orders for new drama Nashville, new comedy The Neighbors, and sophomore drama Scandal. Both comedies Last Man Standing and Malibu Country air Friday nights at 8:00 and 8:30pm ET/PT, respectively, on ABC. Since its season premiere on Nov. 2, ABC sophomore comedy Last Man Standing starring Tim Allen is the top-rated show in Friday's 8:00pm half-hour with Adults 18-49 (2.1/7). Boosting its time period year to year by 76% in Total Viewers and by 91% in Adults 18-49 on average, Last Man Standing premiered with ABC’s biggest numbers in the Friday 8pm half-hour in well over 2-1/2 years – since 1/1/10.
Retaining 100% Adult 18-49 lead-in (2.1/7) from Last Man Standing and gaining total viewers, ABC's Malibu Country starring Reba stands as TV's most-watched freshman comedy this season (8.7 million). The new ABC sitcom is No. 1 in the time period across all key Women demographics (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54) and is the broadcast leader with Teens 12-17. Like its lead-in, the sitcom is producing big year-over-year increases for ABC, improving its half-hour by 85% in Total Viewers and by 91% in Adults 18-49 from the same nights last year. Among Adults 18-49, Malibu Country opened as Friday's top-rated scripted series debut on any network in over 5 years -- since October 2007.
The comedies premiered late in the fall so a full season is probably not necessary to order, but 18 episodes should be enough to last them the rest of the season. ABC will air seven episodes each through December, so at least 11 episodes will be able to air from Jan-May. ABC has yet to announce its midseason 2013 schedule, so we will give that to you as soon as it is announced. With the additional episodes for Malibu Country, we now know the fate for all of ABC's fall freshman series as 666 Park Avenue and Last Resort are the only ones not moving forward after the initial 13 episodes.
FX has announced its early 2013 release dates, which includes season two of Charlie Sheen's sitcom Anger Management. First up, the Emmy(R) Award-winning Justified returns for its fourth season on January 8, and will continue to run Tuesdays at 10pm ET/PT. Anger Management will begin its back-90 run on Thursday, January 17 with consecutive episodes at 9:00 & 9:30pm before airing in its regularly scheduled timeslot of Thursdays at 9:30pm ET/PT. Charlie Sheen stars as "Charlie," a non-traditional therapist specializing in anger management. FX's acclaimed animated series Archer returns for its fourth season starting January 17 and will air Thursdays at 10pm ET/PT. Archer is an animated, half-hour comedy that revolves around the International Secret Intelligence Service (ISIS) and the lives of its employees. FX will premiere its newest original comedy series Legit, on January 17 at 10:30pm ET/PT immediately following Archer. In Legit, Jim Jefferies is an edgy, foul-mouthed stand-up comedian from Australia, in his mid-30s and living in LA, struggling to make his life and career more "legit," only to find it a difficult, uncomfortable uphill struggle every step of the way. Jim is encouraged in his quest by Steve (Dan Bakkedahl), his neurotic best friend and roommate, a cyber-law library salesman who struggles to stay on his feet in the wake of a divorce, and Steve's brother, Billy (DJ Qualls), who suffers from advanced staged Muscular Dystrophy and is confined to a wheelchair. FX has ordered 13 episodes of Legit.
In late night, Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell will return with a new cycle of episodes Thursday, January 17 at 11pm ET/PT. Totally Biased, from Bell and Executive Producers Chris Rock, Chuck Sklar and Keri Smith Esguia, stars standup comedian W. Kamau Bell as he hilariously dissects politics, pop culture, race, religion, sex and the media from his own unique point of view. The show features live guests and taped segments.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 28
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck with a Boy Genius" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Harley, Rachel, Georgie and Ethan attend their school spring formal dance, while Lewie and Beast camp out at home in the backyard.
Andi Mack - "It's Not About You" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Andi's frustration boils over when she discovers that Buffy has secretly been confiding in Bex instead of her; Cyrus double-dates with Jonah Beck, Amber and her friend Iris.
Friday, April 28
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Watch Gabourey on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Britt Robertson (Girlboss) - Britt is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened), Joely Fisher (Ellen/'Til Death), Clea Lewis (Ellen/Flying Blind) and David Anthony Higgins (Ellen/Malcolm in the Middle/Big Time Rush) - The Ellen DeGeneres Show celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Ellen coming out episode, so check your local listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec talks about Donald Trump, too much alcohol and the thing that saved his life on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She also dishes about Imaginary Mary on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Transparent/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.