Friday, January 27, 2012
Remembering Robert Hegyes from Welcome Back, Kotter; Sitcom Stars On Talk Shows (Week of January 30, 2012)
We have some sad news to report. Actor Robert Hegyes, best known as high school student Juan Epstein on Welcome Back, Kotter, has died. Hegyes suffered from chest pains at his Metuchen, New Jersey home Thursday morning (January 26) and later died from an apparent heart attack at John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Edison, New Jersey. He had health problems in recent years, including a hip replacement and a heart attack. Mr. Hegyes was 60.
His career began with stage work in New York both on and off Broadway. In 1975, he landed the role of Juan Luis Pedro Felipo de Huevos Epstein on Welcome Back, Kotter. The show ran for 95 episodes over 4 seasons on ABC from 1975-79. He would later play undercover detective Manny Esposito on Cagney & Lacey. His other television guest appearances included The Streets of San Francisco, The Love Boat, Chico and the Man, CHiPs, Mr. Rhodes, NewsRadio, Diagnosis Murder and The Drew Carey Show. In his later years, he taught acting and screenplay writing classes at his alma mater, Rowan University. In 2011, he reunited with most of the cast members (except for Ron Palillo who was unable to attend due to recent surgery) of Welcome, Back Kotter for the show's 35th anniversary at the TV Land Awards.
Hegyes is survived by three siblings, Mark, Stephanie and Elizabeth, two children, Cassie and Mack, and two stepchildren, Sophia and Alex. Unfortunately, there are no stations currently airing Welcome Back, Kotter. Only a single volume and the complete first season have been released on DVD. This is a show that would be great for original and new generations of fans to see more episodes available. We thank him for playing such a memorable character and bringing us many laughs. He will be deeply missed.
Our friends at Just My Show interviewed him in 2007. What are your favorite Juan Epstein moments? Discuss them on our Welcome Back, Kotter message board.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of January 30 - February 3, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, January 30, 2012
- Rob Schneider (Rob/Men Behaving Badly) - Watch Rob on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- John Krasinksi (The Office) - John visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings. Big Miracle opens in theaters February 3.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - John chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kunal Nayyar and Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal and Simon visit The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. Simon will also be on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny McCarthy (Jenny) - Jenny is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect) - Sherri appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- John Krasinksi (The Office) - Watch John on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Catch Woody on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends - Lisa chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - John continues to make the rounds on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Joyce DeWitt (Three's Company) and Suzanne Somers (Three's Company/Step by Step/She's the Sheriff) - Watch the duo reunite after over 30 years on Suzanne's web series Breaking Through! http://www.cafemom.com/SuzanneSomers
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Watch Debra on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- John Krasinski (The Office) - John wraps up his appearances this week on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Melissa appears on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, October 23
The Simpsons - "Treehouse of Horror XXVI" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
In an encore of last season’s Halloween episode, Sideshow Bob finally kills Bart, only to reanimate him; Homer wakes up with short-term memory loss; and Lisa, Bart, and Milhouse get super powers from radiation.
Bob's Burgers - "Teen-a-Witch" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
With Halloween quickly approaching, Tina reveals her brilliant idea that will finally win her first place in the annual costume contest. When Tammy steals her idea, Tina is forced to seek the help of Mr. Ambrose, who leads her to alternate and other-worldly methods of winning. Meanwhile, Bob is on a mission to figure out who is stealing his perfectly crafted pumpkins.
The Simpsons - "Trust But Clarify" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Lisa and Bart investigate Krusty’s suspicious new “Krustaceans” candy. Meanwhile, Homer wants a promotion at the nuclear plant and asks Marge to help him dress the part, and news anchor Kent Brockman struggles to find his feet in the changing media world.
Son of Zorn - "A Taste of Zephyria" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After learning how Zephyria is depicted in the media, Zorn attempts to teach Alan about his culture. Meanwhile, Edie wages war with her new neighbors over their talking garden gnome.
Family Guy - "Inside Family Guy" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
FAMILY GUY takes viewers behind the scenes of a regular “FAMILY GUY” production week, with James Woods as the guide. See the ins-and-outs of what goes into the making of a “FAMILY GUY” episode and watch the drama unfold as Peter is replaced and ends up in the office of Fox Television Group Chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman to pitch his very own new series.
The Last Man on Earth - "Five Hoda Kotbs" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
A post-apocalyptic road trip has everyone at war with each other and Gail is really pushed to her breaking point.
Bizaardvark - "Spoiler Alert: Belissa Returns" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Paige and Frankie hit a writing slump and other bad things start happening to them, Paige begins to think they are cursed; Amelia and Dirk are at odds when the lifestyle Diva declutters the Dare Lair.
Sunday, October 23
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.