Friday, January 27, 2012
Remembering Robert Hegyes from Welcome Back, Kotter; Sitcom Stars On Talk Shows (Week of January 30, 2012)
We have some sad news to report. Actor Robert Hegyes, best known as high school student Juan Epstein on Welcome Back, Kotter, has died. Hegyes suffered from chest pains at his Metuchen, New Jersey home Thursday morning (January 26) and later died from an apparent heart attack at John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Edison, New Jersey. He had health problems in recent years, including a hip replacement and a heart attack. Mr. Hegyes was 60.
His career began with stage work in New York both on and off Broadway. In 1975, he landed the role of Juan Luis Pedro Felipo de Huevos Epstein on Welcome Back, Kotter. The show ran for 95 episodes over 4 seasons on ABC from 1975-79. He would later play undercover detective Manny Esposito on Cagney & Lacey. His other television guest appearances included The Streets of San Francisco, The Love Boat, Chico and the Man, CHiPs, Mr. Rhodes, NewsRadio, Diagnosis Murder and The Drew Carey Show. In his later years, he taught acting and screenplay writing classes at his alma mater, Rowan University. In 2011, he reunited with most of the cast members (except for Ron Palillo who was unable to attend due to recent surgery) of Welcome, Back Kotter for the show's 35th anniversary at the TV Land Awards.
Hegyes is survived by three siblings, Mark, Stephanie and Elizabeth, two children, Cassie and Mack, and two stepchildren, Sophia and Alex. Unfortunately, there are no stations currently airing Welcome Back, Kotter. Only a single volume and the complete first season have been released on DVD. This is a show that would be great for original and new generations of fans to see more episodes available. We thank him for playing such a memorable character and bringing us many laughs. He will be deeply missed.
Our friends at Just My Show interviewed him in 2007. What are your favorite Juan Epstein moments? Discuss them on our Welcome Back, Kotter message board.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of January 30 - February 3, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, January 30, 2012
- Rob Schneider (Rob/Men Behaving Badly) - Watch Rob on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- John Krasinksi (The Office) - John visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings. Big Miracle opens in theaters February 3.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - John chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kunal Nayyar and Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal and Simon visit The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. Simon will also be on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny McCarthy (Jenny) - Jenny is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect) - Sherri appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- John Krasinksi (The Office) - Watch John on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Catch Woody on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends - Lisa chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - John continues to make the rounds on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Joyce DeWitt (Three's Company) and Suzanne Somers (Three's Company/Step by Step/She's the Sheriff) - Watch the duo reunite after over 30 years on Suzanne's web series Breaking Through! http://www.cafemom.com/SuzanneSomers
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Watch Debra on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- John Krasinski (The Office) - John wraps up his appearances this week on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Melissa appears on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, January 24
The Middle - "A Tough Pill to Swallow" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When a devastated Sue discovers that she has been kicked out of college because she forgot to renew her financial aid, Mike tries to come to her rescue and convince a tough college bursar to reinstate her. Meanwhile, having only taken oral liquid medication all of his life, a frustrated Frankie does everything in her power to teach Brick how to swallow a pill when he gets an ear infection; and Hutch becomes angry with Axl after he keeps driving the Winnebago without permission to Orson to visit new girlfriend April – leaving Hutch without any means of transportation to get to class.
American Housewife - "Art Show" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Anna-Kat draws a super plus-sized portrait of Katie for the school art show, Katie sets out to retrieve it by any means necessary. Meanwhile, with Katie away, Doris is left in charge of Oliver and Taylor. She’s determined to whip them into shape with her Tiger Mom skills, but she may have met her match.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Coming From America" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Louis flies the entire family to Taiwan in an effort to make things right with Gene (Ken Jeong). Upon meeting Gene’s beautiful fiancé, Margaret, and seeing the wonderful life he has built for himself, Louis questions whether his life in Orlando is just as great as it could be in Taiwan. Meanwhile, Jessica takes Eddie, Emery and Evan to her favorite childhood locales, including Dihua Street and Shilin Night Market.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Match" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Jimmy recruits a reluctant Kenny to join his wrestling team for a one-time match, a surprise victory gives him the confidence to join the team full time to become the first, openly gay athlete at St. Barklays. Kenny’s newfound stardom makes Jimmy feel a bit replaced, but when an opponent refuses to wrestle his brother, Jimmy puts his feelings aside and rallies the team around Kenny. Meanwhile, Pat injures his back trying to help Eileen prepare for a weekend getaway, but things only get worse when she tries to be the perfect caregiver to impress VP Murray but fails miserably.
New Girl - "The Hike" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
While on a day hike, Jess and Robby (guest star Nelson Franklin) discover something unexpected about their relationship. Also, Winston throws a surprise welcome home party for Aly (guest star Nasim Pedrad). Meanwhile, Schmidt and Cece fail to impress their new neighbors.
The Mick - "The Master" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
All hell breaks loose, as the kids fight over who will take the master bedroom. Also, Mickey pursues a wealthy businessman who quickly discovers that she is not the prize he thought she was.
Teachers - "Stranger Danger" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
There’s a trespasser at Fillmore and a new security guard is hired. Ms. Snap and Ms. Bennigan hold a “Women Empowering Women” workshop, Mrs. Adler takes stranger danger too far, and Ms. Watson purchases a male safety dummy.
Tuesday, January 24
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Catch Retta on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Claudia O'Doherty (Love) - Claudia is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John talks about Patriots Day on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette visits Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Esposito (Samantha Who?/Spin City) - Jennifer appears on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina talks about the new Netflix series One Day at a Time on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.