Friday, January 27, 2012
Remembering Robert Hegyes from Welcome Back, Kotter; Sitcom Stars On Talk Shows (Week of January 30, 2012)
We have some sad news to report. Actor Robert Hegyes, best known as high school student Juan Epstein on Welcome Back, Kotter, has died. Hegyes suffered from chest pains at his Metuchen, New Jersey home Thursday morning (January 26) and later died from an apparent heart attack at John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Edison, New Jersey. He had health problems in recent years, including a hip replacement and a heart attack. Mr. Hegyes was 60.
His career began with stage work in New York both on and off Broadway. In 1975, he landed the role of Juan Luis Pedro Felipo de Huevos Epstein on Welcome Back, Kotter. The show ran for 95 episodes over 4 seasons on ABC from 1975-79. He would later play undercover detective Manny Esposito on Cagney & Lacey. His other television guest appearances included The Streets of San Francisco, The Love Boat, Chico and the Man, CHiPs, Mr. Rhodes, NewsRadio, Diagnosis Murder and The Drew Carey Show. In his later years, he taught acting and screenplay writing classes at his alma mater, Rowan University. In 2011, he reunited with most of the cast members (except for Ron Palillo who was unable to attend due to recent surgery) of Welcome, Back Kotter for the show's 35th anniversary at the TV Land Awards.
Hegyes is survived by three siblings, Mark, Stephanie and Elizabeth, two children, Cassie and Mack, and two stepchildren, Sophia and Alex. Unfortunately, there are no stations currently airing Welcome Back, Kotter. Only a single volume and the complete first season have been released on DVD. This is a show that would be great for original and new generations of fans to see more episodes available. We thank him for playing such a memorable character and bringing us many laughs. He will be deeply missed.
Our friends at Just My Show interviewed him in 2007. What are your favorite Juan Epstein moments? Discuss them on our Welcome Back, Kotter message board.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of January 30 - February 3, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, January 30, 2012
- Rob Schneider (Rob/Men Behaving Badly) - Watch Rob on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- John Krasinksi (The Office) - John visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings. Big Miracle opens in theaters February 3.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - John chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kunal Nayyar and Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal and Simon visit The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. Simon will also be on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny McCarthy (Jenny) - Jenny is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect) - Sherri appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- John Krasinksi (The Office) - Watch John on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Catch Woody on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends - Lisa chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - John continues to make the rounds on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Joyce DeWitt (Three's Company) and Suzanne Somers (Three's Company/Step by Step/She's the Sheriff) - Watch the duo reunite after over 30 years on Suzanne's web series Breaking Through! http://www.cafemom.com/SuzanneSomers
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Watch Debra on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- John Krasinski (The Office) - John wraps up his appearances this week on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Melissa appears on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.