Wednesday, December 21, 2011
We hinted a few weeks back that Cloo (aka Sleuth) will air some Old School Saturday marathons in 2012. Now we can reveal the shows that will get the Old School Saturday marathon treatment. First off, the marathons will now be called "Cloo Classics" in 2012. If you're not familiar with these marathons, they are classic series marathons once a month on a Saturday. For the first two months of 2012, they have scheduled series they do not air regularly, so that is why we are bringing you this story because they usually air series they already air or air on other Universal-owned cable networks.
The first "Cloo Classics" marathon is on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012 with 24-hours of the late '60s/early '70s drama Mannix beginning bright and early at 6am ET. The series of course starred Mike Connors as Joe Mannix. For this marathon, Cloo will air various episodes, mostly from seasons 3-5. Then a few weeks later in February, Cloo will air a "Cloo Classics" marathon of a sitcom! On Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 from 6am-12pm, Cloo will air six-hours of the '60s comedy Get Smart starring Don Adams. It's too bad it isn't a full 24 hours like Mannix, but I guess we "missed it by that much?" These are NOT going to be joining the line-up, but hopefully they do well and perhaps they can be considered for the line-up like how classics T.J. Hooker and Charlie's Angels air regularly on sister network Universal HD. Both Mannix and Get Smart come from CBS Television Distribution. Sister network USA Network also obtained rights to a CBS Television Distribution comedy in Cheers, as we announced. Is there some sort of deal between Universal cable networks and CBS Television Distribution or is it just a coincidence?
Elsewhere on Cloo in January and February, there will be a Psych marathon on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and a President's Day "Mount Rushmore" marathon featuring MacGyver, Monk, Walker, Texas Ranger, and T.J. Hooker. Finally, also of note on sister network Universal HD, catch a Charlie's Angels Supergirls Marathon starring Farrah Fawcett, Jaclyn Smith and Kate Jackson on Super Bowl Sunday (Sunday, Feb. 5) from 6am-6am. Who needs the NFL when you have Farrah?
Some of Hollywood's biggest stars -- including Mary Tyler Moore, Hugh Jackman, Jay Leno, Amy Poehler and Carol Burnett -- will celebrate the birthday of one of the world's most beloved entertainers in Betty White's 90th Birthday: A Tribute to America's Golden Girl on Monday, January 16 for 90-minutes (in honor of Betty turning 90!) from from 8-9:30 p.m. ET on NBC. White's Hot in Cleveland co-stars Valerie Bertinelli, Wendie Mallick and Jane Leeves, along with her Mary Tyler Moore Show co-stars Ed Asner, Valerie Harper and Gavin MacLeod, will also be on hand to deliver birthday wishes, as will Joel McHale, William Shatner and many more. The special, taping at the Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles, will include special musical performances, surprise appearances and comedy, featuring the irreverent tone, spirit and energy that is the hallmark of Betty's six-decade career in show business. White will take the stage to share some memories and give thanks to those who've come to honor her.
From her first words on radio in 1947, to her current TV Land series Hot In Cleveland, viewers will be taken on an unprecedented journey through Betty's storied career. Her work on game shows, talk shows, CBS's The Mary Tyler Moore Show and NBC's The Golden Girls will be featured, along with her work in movies and commercials. And most importantly, Betty will be saluted for her favorite role: making the world a better place for animals. It's just too bad no one from The Golden Girls is with us anymore to celebrate Betty turning 90. Betty turns 90 the following day on Tuesday, Jan. 17.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.