Wednesday, December 21, 2011
We hinted a few weeks back that Cloo (aka Sleuth) will air some Old School Saturday marathons in 2012. Now we can reveal the shows that will get the Old School Saturday marathon treatment. First off, the marathons will now be called "Cloo Classics" in 2012. If you're not familiar with these marathons, they are classic series marathons once a month on a Saturday. For the first two months of 2012, they have scheduled series they do not air regularly, so that is why we are bringing you this story because they usually air series they already air or air on other Universal-owned cable networks.
The first "Cloo Classics" marathon is on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012 with 24-hours of the late '60s/early '70s drama Mannix beginning bright and early at 6am ET. The series of course starred Mike Connors as Joe Mannix. For this marathon, Cloo will air various episodes, mostly from seasons 3-5. Then a few weeks later in February, Cloo will air a "Cloo Classics" marathon of a sitcom! On Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 from 6am-12pm, Cloo will air six-hours of the '60s comedy Get Smart starring Don Adams. It's too bad it isn't a full 24 hours like Mannix, but I guess we "missed it by that much?" These are NOT going to be joining the line-up, but hopefully they do well and perhaps they can be considered for the line-up like how classics T.J. Hooker and Charlie's Angels air regularly on sister network Universal HD. Both Mannix and Get Smart come from CBS Television Distribution. Sister network USA Network also obtained rights to a CBS Television Distribution comedy in Cheers, as we announced. Is there some sort of deal between Universal cable networks and CBS Television Distribution or is it just a coincidence?
Elsewhere on Cloo in January and February, there will be a Psych marathon on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and a President's Day "Mount Rushmore" marathon featuring MacGyver, Monk, Walker, Texas Ranger, and T.J. Hooker. Finally, also of note on sister network Universal HD, catch a Charlie's Angels Supergirls Marathon starring Farrah Fawcett, Jaclyn Smith and Kate Jackson on Super Bowl Sunday (Sunday, Feb. 5) from 6am-6am. Who needs the NFL when you have Farrah?
Some of Hollywood's biggest stars -- including Mary Tyler Moore, Hugh Jackman, Jay Leno, Amy Poehler and Carol Burnett -- will celebrate the birthday of one of the world's most beloved entertainers in Betty White's 90th Birthday: A Tribute to America's Golden Girl on Monday, January 16 for 90-minutes (in honor of Betty turning 90!) from from 8-9:30 p.m. ET on NBC. White's Hot in Cleveland co-stars Valerie Bertinelli, Wendie Mallick and Jane Leeves, along with her Mary Tyler Moore Show co-stars Ed Asner, Valerie Harper and Gavin MacLeod, will also be on hand to deliver birthday wishes, as will Joel McHale, William Shatner and many more. The special, taping at the Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles, will include special musical performances, surprise appearances and comedy, featuring the irreverent tone, spirit and energy that is the hallmark of Betty's six-decade career in show business. White will take the stage to share some memories and give thanks to those who've come to honor her.
From her first words on radio in 1947, to her current TV Land series Hot In Cleveland, viewers will be taken on an unprecedented journey through Betty's storied career. Her work on game shows, talk shows, CBS's The Mary Tyler Moore Show and NBC's The Golden Girls will be featured, along with her work in movies and commercials. And most importantly, Betty will be saluted for her favorite role: making the world a better place for animals. It's just too bad no one from The Golden Girls is with us anymore to celebrate Betty turning 90. Betty turns 90 the following day on Tuesday, Jan. 17.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.