Wednesday, December 21, 2011
We hinted a few weeks back that Cloo (aka Sleuth) will air some Old School Saturday marathons in 2012. Now we can reveal the shows that will get the Old School Saturday marathon treatment. First off, the marathons will now be called "Cloo Classics" in 2012. If you're not familiar with these marathons, they are classic series marathons once a month on a Saturday. For the first two months of 2012, they have scheduled series they do not air regularly, so that is why we are bringing you this story because they usually air series they already air or air on other Universal-owned cable networks.
The first "Cloo Classics" marathon is on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012 with 24-hours of the late '60s/early '70s drama Mannix beginning bright and early at 6am ET. The series of course starred Mike Connors as Joe Mannix. For this marathon, Cloo will air various episodes, mostly from seasons 3-5. Then a few weeks later in February, Cloo will air a "Cloo Classics" marathon of a sitcom! On Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 from 6am-12pm, Cloo will air six-hours of the '60s comedy Get Smart starring Don Adams. It's too bad it isn't a full 24 hours like Mannix, but I guess we "missed it by that much?" These are NOT going to be joining the line-up, but hopefully they do well and perhaps they can be considered for the line-up like how classics T.J. Hooker and Charlie's Angels air regularly on sister network Universal HD. Both Mannix and Get Smart come from CBS Television Distribution. Sister network USA Network also obtained rights to a CBS Television Distribution comedy in Cheers, as we announced. Is there some sort of deal between Universal cable networks and CBS Television Distribution or is it just a coincidence?
Elsewhere on Cloo in January and February, there will be a Psych marathon on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and a President's Day "Mount Rushmore" marathon featuring MacGyver, Monk, Walker, Texas Ranger, and T.J. Hooker. Finally, also of note on sister network Universal HD, catch a Charlie's Angels Supergirls Marathon starring Farrah Fawcett, Jaclyn Smith and Kate Jackson on Super Bowl Sunday (Sunday, Feb. 5) from 6am-6am. Who needs the NFL when you have Farrah?
Some of Hollywood's biggest stars -- including Mary Tyler Moore, Hugh Jackman, Jay Leno, Amy Poehler and Carol Burnett -- will celebrate the birthday of one of the world's most beloved entertainers in Betty White's 90th Birthday: A Tribute to America's Golden Girl on Monday, January 16 for 90-minutes (in honor of Betty turning 90!) from from 8-9:30 p.m. ET on NBC. White's Hot in Cleveland co-stars Valerie Bertinelli, Wendie Mallick and Jane Leeves, along with her Mary Tyler Moore Show co-stars Ed Asner, Valerie Harper and Gavin MacLeod, will also be on hand to deliver birthday wishes, as will Joel McHale, William Shatner and many more. The special, taping at the Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles, will include special musical performances, surprise appearances and comedy, featuring the irreverent tone, spirit and energy that is the hallmark of Betty's six-decade career in show business. White will take the stage to share some memories and give thanks to those who've come to honor her.
From her first words on radio in 1947, to her current TV Land series Hot In Cleveland, viewers will be taken on an unprecedented journey through Betty's storied career. Her work on game shows, talk shows, CBS's The Mary Tyler Moore Show and NBC's The Golden Girls will be featured, along with her work in movies and commercials. And most importantly, Betty will be saluted for her favorite role: making the world a better place for animals. It's just too bad no one from The Golden Girls is with us anymore to celebrate Betty turning 90. Betty turns 90 the following day on Tuesday, Jan. 17.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.