Thursday, December 01, 2011
Cheers Comes To USA Network, As Wings & Becker Leave; FX Midseason Has New Animated Comedy, Plus New Season of Archer
USA Network has acquired an off-network sitcom! The popular sitcom Cheers will be joining the USA Network line-up this January replacing Becker and Wings. The sitcom will air regularly Saturdays at 3am & 3:30am, but as with Wings & Becker, it will fill some half-hour during early morning slots on any given day as dictated by movie lengths. Cheers' first actual airing will be Wednesday, January 4 at 6am. Hopefully Cheers gets a more of a regular slot soon, or at least on another Universal-owned network like Universal HD. Cheers will continue airing on cable on Hallmark Channel, WGN America and ReelzChannel TV as well. As for Becker, since it will be leaving USA Network, the only place to catch it will be on ReelzChannel TV. Also as of January, Universal HD will remove Becker (maybe Universal networks are losing rights?), as well as Hogan's Heroes, so you might want to watch both of these sitcoms on Universal HD in December before they leave in January. And with it leaving USA Network, Wings will not be seen anywhere now.
In other Universal-owned cable network news, Cloo (formerly known as Sleuth) will have some cool Old School Saturday marathons in 2012 that they usually do once a month. We'll reveal to you what some are soon, so stay tuned for that. And yes, Universal HD is removing Becker and Hogan's Heroes in January, but they will continue to air Charlie's Angels and TJ Hooker, so don't worry classic TV fans. Unfortunately, the Friday night Universal Rediscovered TV block (the short lived series block from 9-11pm) will also be removed in January for a classic series block featuring an episode each of Charlie's Angels and TJ Hooker.
FX has announced release dates for two of its returning hits, as well as a brand new animated comedy series. FX opens the new year with the return of the Emmy Award®-winning hit drama Justified on January 17, and will continue to run Tuesdays at 10 PM ET/PT. Starring Timothy Olyphant. FX's acclaimed animated comedy series Archer returns for its third season starting January 19 and will air Thursdays at 10 PM ET/PT. Archer is an animated, half-hour comedy that revolves around the International Secret Intelligence Service (ISIS) and the lives of its employees. Archer's three part series "Heart of Archness," which aired this past September, gained 26% in P18-49 (1.37 vs. 1.08 million), 34% in M18-49 (1.04 million vs. 775,000) and 12% in Total Viewers (1.72 vs. 1.53 million) over its second season. And finally, FX will premiere its newest series with the animated comedy Unsupervised, which will premiere on January 19 at 10:30 ET/PT and will air immediately following Archer. This series is a comedy about optimistic best friends "Gary" and "Joel" navigating the harsh landscape of teenage life and trying to do what's right without any parental guidance whatsoever. The series was created by and is executive produced by Rob Rosell, Scott Marder and David Hornsby, all who currently serve as writer/producers on FX's hit comedy series It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. It features an outstanding voice cast including Justin Long, Kristen Bell, Fred Armisen, Romany Malco, Kaitlin Olson and Alexa Vega, along with Rosell and Hornsby.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, October 20
Superstore - "Dog Adoption Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After new parents Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) and Bo (recurring guest star Johnny Pemberton) get into a fight, Amy (America Ferrera) and Glenn (Mark McKinney) take vastly different approaches in giving them advice. Meanwhile, Mateo (Nico Santos) and Jonah (Ben Feldman) get assigned to handle dog adoptions in the store and work feverishly to get all of the dogs adopted once they find out what will happen to the dogs if they don't. Dina (Lauren Ash) refuses to adjust Garrett's (Colton Dunn) timecard based on "store rules," leaving Garrett happy to taunt Dina in revenge.
The Good Place - "The Eternal Shriek" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) and Chidi (William Jackson Harper) set off on a quest with Janet (D'Arcy Carden) as their guide. Meanwhile, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) attempts to show Michael (Ted Danson) how much he is appreciated.
Better Things - "Duke's Chorus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam and the family go-to-meeting.
Thursday, October 20
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Catch Elijah on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Lena Dunham (Girls) - Lena is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- John Mulaney (Mulaney) - John is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show/Family Guy) - Mila appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt chats about Man with a Plan on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat) - Randall is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Derek Theler (Baby Daddy) - Derek appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Patrice Lovely (Love Thy Neighbor) - Patrice visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach and the cast of Keeping Up with the Joneses will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Victoria Justice (Victorious/Zoey 101) - Victoria talks about The Rocky Horror Picture Show on People Now at 8:30am.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie is a guest on Harry on Netflix.