Friday, December 17, 2010
Our Exclusive Interview with Me-TV Network's Neal Sabin; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of December 20, 2010)
We had the pleasure to interview Neal Sabin, Executive Vice President at Weigel Broadcasting. A Windy City original, Neal has spent nearly a quarter century programming, managing and reinventing independent television stations in Chicago. Currently, he oversees the company's three local stations (soon to be four stations,) plus contributes to the management for the television properties in Milwaukee and South Bend. He most recently launched the Me-TV Network which mirrors the highly successful classic television brand that he developed on a local level in Chicago and Milwaukee. Neal also co-created various aspects of THIStv Network, a digital multicast program service with partner MGM. Previously, he transformed WCIU, a.k.a. The U, into a personality-driven local independent powerhouse that reflects the diversity of its urban market. Neal got his start in television as Program Director of WPWR-TV. Neal is a graduate of Northwestern University's School of Speech.
Me-TV Network is from Weigel Broadcasting Co. and is a classic TV network that launched nationally on December 15, 2010. Me-TV (Memorable Entertainment Television) is a 24/7 program service for broadcasters searching for quality programming that audiences and advertisers find comfortable and engaging. Me-TV's library includes series from Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution and CBS Television Distribution as well as independent series owners and producers. Some of the comedies on Me-TV include: M*A*S*H, Cheers, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy and The Bob Newhart Show. Dramas on the network include: Perry Mason, The Untouchables, The Big Valley, the original Star Trek and the original Hawaii Five-O series. In total, the Me-TV Network will premiere with approximately 50 series under long-term license agreements. This allows for the type of seasonal and thematic program stunts which have defined Me-TV in Chicago for more than seven years as the destination for true, classic television presented with respect for the programs and viewers.
"Seven Questions with Me-TV Network's Neal Sabin"
SitcomsOnline: Thank you for agreeing to do an interview. We are very pleased that Me-TV is going national as the Me-TV Network. Now fans outside of Chicago and Milwaukee can see this classic TV network and what it is all about! When and why was it decided to bring Me-TV to a national level and why now?
Me-TV Network's Neal Sabin: Thanks to you for letting people know all about Me-TV. We are very passionate about classic TV at Weigel Broadcasting and have wanted to take Me-TV national for a long time. The planning has been going on for about two years, just after our launch of THIStv with MGM Studios. It has taken this long because we wanted to have what we consider to be a significant selection of the best television series ever produced. Getting the rights nailed down was not easy nor inexpensive.
SitcomsOnline: MGM will be handling the distribution for the national Me-TV Network, like they do with This TV. I know we have asked you this already and we mentioned it on a story last week that it will take time to negotiate station clearances, but I'm sure everyone still asks about when affiliates will be announced. Is there some idea on when more the first batch of Me-TV affiliates will go live, as right now only Chicago, Milwaukee and South Bend are going to air during the national launch? And what can people out there do to help if they really want the network?
Me-TV Network's Neal Sabin: We have an incredible number of inquiries for affiliation, and it's MGM's job to investigate them all. Just as it took time to collect all the great programs such as M*A*S*H, Cheers, The Honeymooners, Batman, etc. We are going to take our time in signing affiliates who understand and are passionate about carrying the Me-TV Network. You will be able to enter your zip code on our website, metvnetwork.com in the near future and find the affiliate in your area. If your readers wish to help out, they can contact the stations in their markets and request they affiliate with Me-TV Network.
SitcomsOnline: And after viewers hear about some new affiliates joining, they will want to know if cable providers will carry the Me-TV Network in their market. Is the process to secure cable companies to carry the Me-TV Network also being negotiated right now or is the main priority getting station clearances?
Me-TV Network's Neal Sabin: Part of the affiliation process is determining cable and other carriage options. We are looking for partners that can provide that kind of distribution. Again, another reason to take our time.
SitcomsOnline: In lieu of the network launch, Chicago and Milwaukee have turned their local Me-TV stations into the national network feed. Good news for those two cities is that the shows that couldn't be cleared nationally will still remain locally in Chicago on Me-Too (which has merged the local Chicago Me-TV and Me-Too into one) and you told us Milwaukee will launch a local Me-Too in early 2011. Will it be similar to Chicago's version of Me-Too with shows that can't air nationally and the type of shows that aired on the local Milwaukee Me-TV? Where can we expect the Milwaukee Me-Too station to be placed?
Me-TV Network's Neal Sabin: The Me-Too programming stream in Milwaukee will be on one of our digital full power stations and have cable carriage. It will include some of the shows we don't have national rights to that air on Me-Too Chicago and some others such as Emergency! and Matlock.
SitcomsOnline: Moving back to the national Me-TV Network, most of the series acquired are from CBS Paramount with some classics from 20th Century Fox as well. Does Me-TV have an overall library deal with CBS and/or Fox where Me-TV Network can pick and choose series? If so, can we expect more series to join the schedule at some point? Some shows that haven't been seen nationally include CBS Paramount's Webster and Dear John, so those would be nice.
Me-TV Network's Neal Sabin: We have over 50 series from those two studios as well as programs such as The Dick Van Dyke Show from independent producers. You will see The Mod Squad, The Millionaire, Bosom Buddies, The Rebel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space and others later. Batman joins in the fall. Webster was a syndication disaster and I don't think you'll see it on Me-TV Network. Dear John and many other shows from that vintage are caught up in the residual payment issue that plagues broadcast TV but not cable. Don't get me started.
SitcomsOnline: Me-TV in Chicago is known for changing its schedule every season (fall, winter, spring, summer), will this also be the case for the national Me-TV Network? Are there certain airing restrictions for any of these shows, since some long-running hits like Happy Days are only on weekends?
Me-TV Network's Neal Sabin: We will "mix it up" from time to time. We don't have restrictions, the schedule is based on our experience with what works best for our audiences as well as advertisers.
SitcomsOnline: Finally, what is your goal for the national Me-TV Network? How do you envision the network eventually being? Will it be the place to be for classic series from the 50s-70s?
Me-TV Network's Neal Sabin: Our goal is to be the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) of classic television. That's a simple way to say, quality programming presented with respect for the viewer and advertisers.
Our thanks to Neal Sabin and Me-TV Network. We wish them the best of luck and we hope affiliates will be announced soon so everyone can enjoy these shows once again. For more information on Me-TV Network, continue to stay with us for info and don't forget to view their website http://www.metvnetwork.com/. So, stay tuned right here on the blog for continued news and programming updates for this network.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars (but we won't cover movie stars like Tom Hanks or John Travolta, since they won't be talking about their past sitcoms likely), so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of Dec. 20-24, 2010, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, December 20, 2010
- Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) - Watch Jason on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun) - Catch Jason on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly on NBC at 1:37am.
- Jack McBrayer (30 Rock) - Jack appears on the TODAY Show on NBC sometime between 7-9am.
- Kelsey Grammer (Frasier/Cheers/Hank/Back to You) - Watch Kelsey on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show, so check listings or watch on BET at 12am.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Catch Sofia on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show/Family Guy) - Watch a repeat of Mila on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12:06am on ABC.
- Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) - Jason makes the rounds this week, today he will be on ABC's The View at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Donal Logue (Knights of Prosperity/Grounded for Life) -Watch a repeat of Donal on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:37am on NBC.
- Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development/Better Off Ted) - Watch Portia on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your listings.
- Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) - Segel promotes his movie on the Early Show on CBS between 7-9am. And also on NBC's TODAY Show, in the 10am hour.
- Zachary Levi (Less than Perfect) - Catch Zachary on The Tonight Show at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) - Watch Jason on an all-new Conan on TBS at 11pm. You can also see him on a repeat of LIVE! with Regis & Kelly, so check listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, March 30
2 Broke Girls - "And the Zero Tolerance" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Max and Caroline attempt to bring in extra money to help pay off their bank loan by taking second jobs as a pastry chef and a hostess at a chic restaurant. Sandra Bernhard guest stars as Joe, the owner of the high-end restaurant.
Mike & Molly - "Cocktails and Calamine" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Molly is nervous about Mike attending a celebratory party her publisher puts on for her and Peggy.
American Dad - "The Shrink" (TBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Stan goes to a shrink after he sees a couple die in a car crash; Roger and Klaus study for a wine tasting.
Monday, March 30
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Watch Neil on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kristen Schaal (The Last Man on Earth/The Hotwives of Orlando/30 Rock) - Kristen visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Becki Newton (Weird Loners/The Goodwin Games/How I Met Your Mother) - Becki appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. Becki and Zachary Knighton also talk about Weird Loners on Good Day LA on Fox 11 LA KTTV in Los Angeles.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Regina King (227) - Regina chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy talks about the game show Monopoly Millionaires’ Club on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace discusses her new Hallmark Movies & Mysteries original A Bone to Pick: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kevin Rahm (I Hate My Teenage Daughter) - Kevin talks about what to expect on the final season of his popular show Mad Men on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Sutton Foster (Younger) - Sutton discusses her starring role in TV Land's Younger and talks about her exciting solo debut at Carnegie Hall on HuffPost Live at 3:40pm.
- Rob Corddry (The Winner) - Rob is a guest on SportsNation at 3pm on ESPN2.
- Garcelle Beauvais (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Garcelle guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee is a guest on VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live at 9am.
- The Cast of Younger - Patricia Field, Sutton Foster, Hilary Duff, Debi Mazar, Miriam Shor, Nico Tortorella and creator Darren Star are guests on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.