Tuesday, February 07, 2017
Pop Slates '90s Centric Comedies Starting April 12; Amazon Brings Back Mozart and Final Season of Red Oaks
Wednesday nights will soon be all that and a bag of chips as Pop gears up to debut two new original comedies Hollywood Darlings and Return of the Mac (formerly The Joey Mac Project) on April 12. The back-to-back television premieres will reunite fans with their favorite stars from the '90s, including Jodie Sweetin (Full House), Beverley Mitchell (7th Heaven) and Christine Lakin (Step by Step) in Hollywood Darlings at 8:00 PM, ET/PT, followed by Joey McIntyre in the CBS Television Studios scripted comedy Return of the Mac at 8:30 PM, ET/PT. A bevy of guest stars in both series will showcase the ultimate line-up of '90s sitcom stars, boy band artists and cultural icons. Hollywood Darlings will feature cameos from Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster), Andrew Keegan (10 Things I Hate About You), Tamera Mowry (Sister, Sister), Lance Bass (NSYNC), Andrea Barber (Full House), Nicholle Tom (The Nanny), Heather Tom (Y&R), Patrick Duffy (Dallas, Step by Step), Staci Keanan (Step by Step) and Wanya Morris (Boyz II Men). Hollywood Darlings turns the camera on real-life friends who are bonded by a sisterhood that only they can share as former child stars who grew up in the '90s limelight - Jodie Sweetin, Christine Lakin and Beverley Mitchell. In this improvised comedy, the three actresses play exaggerated versions of themselves in their current Hollywood lives. With the support of one another, this girl squad can take on anything when it comes to parenting, marriage, friendship and revived careers in Hollywood.
Return of the Mac will feature series stars and executive producers Donnie Wahlberg (New Kids on the Block, Blue Bloods) and Jenny McCarthy (Singled Out), as well as guest appearances by Joey Lawrence (Melissa and Joey, Blossom), Joey Fatone (*NSYNC), Chris Kirkpatrick (*NSYNC), January Jones (Mad Men), Jack Osbourne (The Osbournes), Aisha Tyler (The Talk, Ghost Whisperer), David Koechner (Anchorman), and Gilles Marini (Sex and the City). Return of the Mac is a scripted comedy starring boy band heartthrob Joey McIntyre as a version of himself alongside his real-life family - wife Barrett and their three children, Griffin (8), Rhys (6) and Kira (5). As he embarks on a hilarious quest to be taken seriously as a legit actor, Joey is thrown into the reluctant role of a talk show host at a fledgling cable network called The Comfy Channel. As Joey starts to navigate the talk show circuit, he is joined by his often misguided manager and team played by a hysterical cast, including Adam Ray, Jamie Denbo, Katie Wee, Punam Patel and Jordan Black.
Amazon Studios announced it has green lit a fourth season of the Golden Globe award-winning comedy series Mozart in the Jungle, and a final, third season of the hit comedy series Red Oaks. Both are scheduled to premiere later this year on Prime Video in the US and UK, and additional territories in the future. Based on the critically acclaimed memoir Mozart in the Jungle: Sex, Drugs & Classical Music by Blair Tindall, Mozart in the Jungle draws back the curtain at the New York Symphony, where artistic dedication and creativity collide with mind games, politicking and survival instincts. Starring Gael García Bernal (Neruda), and Lola Kirke (American Made), Mozart in the Jungle will begin production later this year and will continue the story of the talented musicians who perform and live with passion under the baton of its spirited conductor, best known simply as Rodrigo. Along with Bernal and Kirke, Mozart in the Jungle also stars Saffron Burrows (Night of the Lotus), Malcolm McDowell (American Satan), Bernadette Peters (Smash), and Hannah Dunne (Caring).
Set in the 1980s, Red Oaks explores the comic misadventures of the misfit staffers and clueless members of a country club in suburban New Jersey. Starring Craig Roberts (Submarine: The Fundamentals of Caregiving), and Paul Reiser (Mad About You), Red Oaks will begin production later this year on its third and final season, concluding the stories of aspiring young filmmaker David Meyers and the colorful characters he's met on his journey to adulthood. Starring alongside Roberts and Reiser is a talented ensemble cast including Richard Kind (Inside Out), Jennifer Grey (Dirty Dancing), Alexandra Socha (Cut Shoot Kill), Oliver Cooper (Office Christmas Party), Ennis Esmer (Blindspot), Gina Gershon (Staten Island Summer) and Alexandra Turschen (Boy Meets Girl).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, May 24
Hollywood Darlings - "She's Not All That" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After years of pretending to be her own assistant to avoid saying ``no'' to people, a non-confrontational Beverley finally hires former child star Lori Beth Denberg to be her assistant; Jodie asks a stranger to pretend to be a fan of Christine's.
Return of the Mac - "An Offer Joe Can't Refuse" (Pop, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Joe is forced to book his own celebrity guests, he finds out there's a daytime mafia controlling the booking of celebrities.
Bunk'd - "Girl Meets World" (Disney Channel, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Xander and Emma learn two of their campers have a crush on one another.
Nobodies - "Devil in a Red Dress" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Larry, Rachel and Hugh, at their most fractured, turn to another writing team for help: fellow Groundlings alums Jim Rash and Nat Faxon.
Lopez - "Cuck You George Lopez" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
George’s friends have him worried that Lori wears the pants in their relationship. Pfeiffer complicates Olly’s work life, and Manolo gets laser eye surgery to please Wendy.
Wednesday, May 24
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Watch Zoe on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Hannibal Buress (Broad City) - Hannibal appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/The Office) - Ellie is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Topher Grace (That '70s Show) - Topher stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Gabourey is a guest on a repeat of Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Trevor Noah at 11pm.
- Andree Vermeulen (Angie Tribeca) - Andree appears on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- T. J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T. J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Lennon Parham (Playing House/Best Friends Forever/Accidentally on Purpose) - Lennon appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Eric Stonesteet (Modern Family) - Eric drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jake Smollett (On Our Own) - Jake throws down spicy honey chicken on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan talks about Wakefield on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Morris Chestnut (Out All Night) - Morris and trainer Obi Obadike have tips to lose ten pounds in ten days on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank talks about his new hit, Brockmire, with Clinton Kelly on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.