Tuesday, February 07, 2017
Pop Slates '90s Centric Comedies Starting April 12; Amazon Brings Back Mozart and Final Season of Red Oaks
Wednesday nights will soon be all that and a bag of chips as Pop gears up to debut two new original comedies Hollywood Darlings and Return of the Mac (formerly The Joey Mac Project) on April 12. The back-to-back television premieres will reunite fans with their favorite stars from the '90s, including Jodie Sweetin (Full House), Beverley Mitchell (7th Heaven) and Christine Lakin (Step by Step) in Hollywood Darlings at 8:00 PM, ET/PT, followed by Joey McIntyre in the CBS Television Studios scripted comedy Return of the Mac at 8:30 PM, ET/PT. A bevy of guest stars in both series will showcase the ultimate line-up of '90s sitcom stars, boy band artists and cultural icons. Hollywood Darlings will feature cameos from Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster), Andrew Keegan (10 Things I Hate About You), Tamera Mowry (Sister, Sister), Lance Bass (NSYNC), Andrea Barber (Full House), Nicholle Tom (The Nanny), Heather Tom (Y&R), Patrick Duffy (Dallas, Step by Step), Staci Keanan (Step by Step) and Wanya Morris (Boyz II Men). Hollywood Darlings turns the camera on real-life friends who are bonded by a sisterhood that only they can share as former child stars who grew up in the '90s limelight - Jodie Sweetin, Christine Lakin and Beverley Mitchell. In this improvised comedy, the three actresses play exaggerated versions of themselves in their current Hollywood lives. With the support of one another, this girl squad can take on anything when it comes to parenting, marriage, friendship and revived careers in Hollywood.
Return of the Mac will feature series stars and executive producers Donnie Wahlberg (New Kids on the Block, Blue Bloods) and Jenny McCarthy (Singled Out), as well as guest appearances by Joey Lawrence (Melissa and Joey, Blossom), Joey Fatone (*NSYNC), Chris Kirkpatrick (*NSYNC), January Jones (Mad Men), Jack Osbourne (The Osbournes), Aisha Tyler (The Talk, Ghost Whisperer), David Koechner (Anchorman), and Gilles Marini (Sex and the City). Return of the Mac is a scripted comedy starring boy band heartthrob Joey McIntyre as a version of himself alongside his real-life family - wife Barrett and their three children, Griffin (8), Rhys (6) and Kira (5). As he embarks on a hilarious quest to be taken seriously as a legit actor, Joey is thrown into the reluctant role of a talk show host at a fledgling cable network called The Comfy Channel. As Joey starts to navigate the talk show circuit, he is joined by his often misguided manager and team played by a hysterical cast, including Adam Ray, Jamie Denbo, Katie Wee, Punam Patel and Jordan Black.
Amazon Studios announced it has green lit a fourth season of the Golden Globe award-winning comedy series Mozart in the Jungle, and a final, third season of the hit comedy series Red Oaks. Both are scheduled to premiere later this year on Prime Video in the US and UK, and additional territories in the future. Based on the critically acclaimed memoir Mozart in the Jungle: Sex, Drugs & Classical Music by Blair Tindall, Mozart in the Jungle draws back the curtain at the New York Symphony, where artistic dedication and creativity collide with mind games, politicking and survival instincts. Starring Gael García Bernal (Neruda), and Lola Kirke (American Made), Mozart in the Jungle will begin production later this year and will continue the story of the talented musicians who perform and live with passion under the baton of its spirited conductor, best known simply as Rodrigo. Along with Bernal and Kirke, Mozart in the Jungle also stars Saffron Burrows (Night of the Lotus), Malcolm McDowell (American Satan), Bernadette Peters (Smash), and Hannah Dunne (Caring).
Set in the 1980s, Red Oaks explores the comic misadventures of the misfit staffers and clueless members of a country club in suburban New Jersey. Starring Craig Roberts (Submarine: The Fundamentals of Caregiving), and Paul Reiser (Mad About You), Red Oaks will begin production later this year on its third and final season, concluding the stories of aspiring young filmmaker David Meyers and the colorful characters he's met on his journey to adulthood. Starring alongside Roberts and Reiser is a talented ensemble cast including Richard Kind (Inside Out), Jennifer Grey (Dirty Dancing), Alexandra Socha (Cut Shoot Kill), Oliver Cooper (Office Christmas Party), Ennis Esmer (Blindspot), Gina Gershon (Staten Island Summer) and Alexandra Turschen (Boy Meets Girl).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 23
Superstore - "Mateo's Last Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mateo (Nico Santos) faces complications with his transfer to a Cloud 9 Signature store, he becomes desperate to resolve his undocumented status. Meanwhile, Amy (America Ferrera) helps Glenn (Mark McKinney) battle an Internet troll, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) try to give Mateo legal counsel, and Dina (Lauren Ash) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) take issue with corporate.
Powerless - "I'm a Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Baskets - "Circus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Christine turns to Arby's after Chip joins the Russians.
Thursday, March 23
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Stephanie is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zosia Mamet (Girls) - Zosia is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nick D'Agosto (Trial & Error) - Nick is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody talks about Wilson on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Woody and Laura Dern will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.