Tuesday, February 07, 2017
Pop Slates '90s Centric Comedies Starting April 12; Amazon Brings Back Mozart and Final Season of Red Oaks
Wednesday nights will soon be all that and a bag of chips as Pop gears up to debut two new original comedies Hollywood Darlings and Return of the Mac (formerly The Joey Mac Project) on April 12. The back-to-back television premieres will reunite fans with their favorite stars from the '90s, including Jodie Sweetin (Full House), Beverley Mitchell (7th Heaven) and Christine Lakin (Step by Step) in Hollywood Darlings at 8:00 PM, ET/PT, followed by Joey McIntyre in the CBS Television Studios scripted comedy Return of the Mac at 8:30 PM, ET/PT. A bevy of guest stars in both series will showcase the ultimate line-up of '90s sitcom stars, boy band artists and cultural icons. Hollywood Darlings will feature cameos from Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster), Andrew Keegan (10 Things I Hate About You), Tamera Mowry (Sister, Sister), Lance Bass (NSYNC), Andrea Barber (Full House), Nicholle Tom (The Nanny), Heather Tom (Y&R), Patrick Duffy (Dallas, Step by Step), Staci Keanan (Step by Step) and Wanya Morris (Boyz II Men). Hollywood Darlings turns the camera on real-life friends who are bonded by a sisterhood that only they can share as former child stars who grew up in the '90s limelight - Jodie Sweetin, Christine Lakin and Beverley Mitchell. In this improvised comedy, the three actresses play exaggerated versions of themselves in their current Hollywood lives. With the support of one another, this girl squad can take on anything when it comes to parenting, marriage, friendship and revived careers in Hollywood.
Return of the Mac will feature series stars and executive producers Donnie Wahlberg (New Kids on the Block, Blue Bloods) and Jenny McCarthy (Singled Out), as well as guest appearances by Joey Lawrence (Melissa and Joey, Blossom), Joey Fatone (*NSYNC), Chris Kirkpatrick (*NSYNC), January Jones (Mad Men), Jack Osbourne (The Osbournes), Aisha Tyler (The Talk, Ghost Whisperer), David Koechner (Anchorman), and Gilles Marini (Sex and the City). Return of the Mac is a scripted comedy starring boy band heartthrob Joey McIntyre as a version of himself alongside his real-life family - wife Barrett and their three children, Griffin (8), Rhys (6) and Kira (5). As he embarks on a hilarious quest to be taken seriously as a legit actor, Joey is thrown into the reluctant role of a talk show host at a fledgling cable network called The Comfy Channel. As Joey starts to navigate the talk show circuit, he is joined by his often misguided manager and team played by a hysterical cast, including Adam Ray, Jamie Denbo, Katie Wee, Punam Patel and Jordan Black.
Amazon Studios announced it has green lit a fourth season of the Golden Globe award-winning comedy series Mozart in the Jungle, and a final, third season of the hit comedy series Red Oaks. Both are scheduled to premiere later this year on Prime Video in the US and UK, and additional territories in the future. Based on the critically acclaimed memoir Mozart in the Jungle: Sex, Drugs & Classical Music by Blair Tindall, Mozart in the Jungle draws back the curtain at the New York Symphony, where artistic dedication and creativity collide with mind games, politicking and survival instincts. Starring Gael García Bernal (Neruda), and Lola Kirke (American Made), Mozart in the Jungle will begin production later this year and will continue the story of the talented musicians who perform and live with passion under the baton of its spirited conductor, best known simply as Rodrigo. Along with Bernal and Kirke, Mozart in the Jungle also stars Saffron Burrows (Night of the Lotus), Malcolm McDowell (American Satan), Bernadette Peters (Smash), and Hannah Dunne (Caring).
Set in the 1980s, Red Oaks explores the comic misadventures of the misfit staffers and clueless members of a country club in suburban New Jersey. Starring Craig Roberts (Submarine: The Fundamentals of Caregiving), and Paul Reiser (Mad About You), Red Oaks will begin production later this year on its third and final season, concluding the stories of aspiring young filmmaker David Meyers and the colorful characters he's met on his journey to adulthood. Starring alongside Roberts and Reiser is a talented ensemble cast including Richard Kind (Inside Out), Jennifer Grey (Dirty Dancing), Alexandra Socha (Cut Shoot Kill), Oliver Cooper (Office Christmas Party), Ennis Esmer (Blindspot), Gina Gershon (Staten Island Summer) and Alexandra Turschen (Boy Meets Girl).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, April 29
Henry Danger - "Stuck in Two Holes" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Whaaaat?!? Captain Man and Kid Danger are each stuck in a hole?!? Charlotte and Jasper better go help, 'cuz Schwoz is takin' a bean bath!
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "I Want My Mae B. Back" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After Mae starts to spend more time with her new boyfriend, Dawn begins to get jealous so enlists Nicky, Ricky, and Dicky to help separate them so that she can have her friend back.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.