Thursday, January 12, 2017
Fox was up at the TCA 2017 Winter Press Tour yesterday and a whole bunch of news came out. First up, Fox is announcing premiere dates for new comedy Making History, new unscripted series Kicking & Screaming and new event series Shots Fired and Prison Break. New comedy Making History premieres Sunday, March 5 at 8:30PM ET/PT, and follows three friends from two different centuries as they try to balance the thrill of time travel with the mundane concerns of their everyday lives. The wildly original series stars Adam Pally, Leighton Meester and Yassir Lester. Also that night, Last Man on Earth makes its spring return at 9:30 PM ET/PT. Comedic competition series Kicking & Screaming teams 10 expert survivalists with pampered partners to face the toughest challenges of their lives. Debuting Thursday, March 9 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), and hosted by Hannah Simone, the series drops these unlikely duos into a tropical jungle in Fiji, where they must overcome dangerous animals, raging rivers, hunger and extreme weather.
Examining the dangerous aftermath of two racially charged shootings in a small Southern town, event series Shots Fired launches Wednesday, March 22 at 8:00PM ET/PT, followed by the spring premiere of Empire at 9:00 PM ET/PT. The compelling series stars Sanaa Lathan, Stephan James, Helen Hunt, Richard Dreyfuss, and Stephen Moyer. In the next action-packed chapter of Prison Break, premiering Tuesday, April 4 at 9:00 PM ET/PT, original series stars Wentworth Miller, Dominic Purcell, Sarah Wayne Callies, Amaury Nolasco, Robert Knepper, Rockmond Dunbar and Paul Adelstein are reunited for an all-new adventure spanning the globe. As previously announced, 24: Legacy begins its two-night premiere event on Sunday, Feb. 5, following Super Bowl LI, and continues Monday, Feb. 6. New police drama APB launches Monday, Feb. 6, following 24: Legacy. Season Five of MasterChef Junior premieres Thursday, Feb. 9. Brooklyn Nine-Nine has its spring premiere Tuesday, April 11. After the season finale of 24: Legacy on Monday, April 17, Gotham returns Monday, April 24. Following APB's season finale on Monday, April 24, Lucifer's spring premiere airs Monday, May 1.
In other Fox news at the press tour, Fox has ordered four additional episodes of new comedy, The Mick, bringing the total to 17 episodes. The next all-new episode of The Mick, starring Kaitlin Olson, will air on a special night and time Sunday, Jan. 15 at 9:00PM ET/PT, following The Simpsons' first-ever one-hour episode. In the all-new episode, "The Balloon," Mickey (Kaitlin Olson) learns that the family has forgotten Ben's (Jack Stanton) seventh birthday, and forces them to put their selfish tendencies aside for one day and throw him the celebration he deserves, which proves way harder than planned. In its regular time period on Tuesday, Jan. 17 (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT), the all-new "The Fire" episode airs, in which Mickey tries to quit smoking, while Chip (Thomas Barbusca) attempts to be a role model for Ben, who will only listen to his new imaginary friend.
Other Fox tidbits: Grammy-, Golden Globe- and Academy Award-winning actor and musician Jamie Foxx is set to host Beat Shazam, a unique and interactive game show in which teams of two race against the clock and each other as they attempt to identify the biggest hit songs of all time. In the end, the team with the highest score will outlast the competition and go against Shazam, the world's most popular song identification app, for the chance to win a cash prize. Executive-produced by Mark Burnett, the straight-to-series order is scheduled to premiere in Summer 2017 on Fox. Next, Fox has renewed the hit drama Empire for a fourth season. The series returns for its spring premiere Wednesday, March 22 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) as we mentioned earlier. And finally, Emmy Award winner Andy Cohen will host Love Connection, a new one-hour series that amps up the original hit dating show for today's audiences. Fox has ordered 15 episodes of the new unscripted series, to be executive-produced by Mike Fleiss (The Bachelor). Additionally, Cohen will serve as a co-executive producer. The series is set to premiere on Fox in Summer 2017.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 28
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck with a Boy Genius" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Harley, Rachel, Georgie and Ethan attend their school spring formal dance, while Lewie and Beast camp out at home in the backyard.
Andi Mack - "It's Not About You" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Andi's frustration boils over when she discovers that Buffy has secretly been confiding in Bex instead of her; Cyrus double-dates with Jonah Beck, Amber and her friend Iris.
Friday, April 28
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Watch Gabourey on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Britt Robertson (Girlboss) - Britt is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened), Joely Fisher (Ellen/'Til Death), Clea Lewis (Ellen/Flying Blind) and David Anthony Higgins (Ellen/Malcolm in the Middle/Big Time Rush) - The Ellen DeGeneres Show celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Ellen coming out episode, so check your local listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec talks about Donald Trump, too much alcohol and the thing that saved his life on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She also dishes about Imaginary Mary on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Transparent/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.