Tuesday, February 03, 2015
Seven Questions with Baby Daddy's Derek Theler and Guest Star Kelly Monaco; CBS Pulls McCarthys for Big Bang Repeats
Then on General Hospital, Melissa Peterman plays an old friend of Olivia's from Bensonhurst and Derek Theler plays a colleague of Dr. Patrick Drake. In this episode, it is Valentine's Day in Port Charles. Olivia receives a surprise visitor from her Bensonhurst days. Melissa Santoro-Picard (Melissa Peterman) and the two old friends quickly catch up on life and loves. Later in the day, Melissa runs into another familiar face in Port Charles. Meanwhile, Dr. Patrick Drake is called to consult on a case at the last minute, delaying his date with Sam. Coincidentally, Patrick's colleague Derek (Derek Theler) was also stood up by his date. Derek and Sam agree to keep each other company until their significant others arrive. As the night progresses, the two discover the true meaning of Valentine's Day.
"Seven Questions with Baby Daddy's Derek Theler and Kelly Monaco"
SitcomsOnline: So, to start it off...wow a sitcom and a soap opera doing a crossover. We love the idea...I know the sitcom Hope & Faith did a soap opera type episode on ABC about 10 years ago, but not an actual crossover like this. Can you let us know how it was to shoot the Baby Daddy episode and what's in store in the episode?
SitcomsOnline: Are Kelly and Danny going to hit it off both on and off-camera? And will maybe a love quadrangle form between Danny, Riley, Kelly and Ben?
Derek Theler: Yeah, it was really fun having Danny actually go through acting and see his lack of skills obviously as an actor and just play around with the heightened reality of what would it be like for a sitcom in General Hospital in the Baby Daddy world, so it was a great time playing with Kelly in front of an audience and things.
SitcomsOnline: Kelly is this your first real sitcom experience and what was it like doing it? I think you did a Spin City episode many years ago, but obviously this Baby Daddy episode you get to play a somewhat version of yourself, so that's cool!
SitcomsOnline: Then we have the General Hospital episode with Derek and Melissa guest starring. But they're not in character of Danny and Bonnie, right? Can you let us know what happens in that episode?
Kelly Monaco: So funny!
Derek Theler: Yeah it was very funny to watch. She was kind of going in and out of it and she was cracking me up.
Kelly Monaco: (Laughs)
Derek Theler: My character's name is Derek, and he's the chief of plastics in the hospital. That was fun to play. It was a lot different than Danny, so I definitely enjoyed myself the two days that I was on set. It was a big difference when it comes to the atmosphere and way the show works and how fast paced it is on a soap opera and I really was kind of nervous but at the end of it I felt a little more comfortable with that kind of atmosphere. And it's the Valentine's Day episode airing on Friday the 13th, February 13. And what happens in it Kelly, I guess everyone is trying to get to their big date?
Kelly Monaco: There is a little bit of Derek and Sam. They actually wind up at dinner together, so we'll tease you with that and the audience can tune into see what happens.
SitcomsOnline: Derek how was it like doing the soap opera format? Did you get pointers from Kelly and the GH gang and did you have to learn any of the key soap opera face movements and acting, haha?
Derek Theler: I did, yeah. She helped a lot. On set she kind of told me where to go and you know how fast I needed to be ready, which was a huge help.
Kelly Monaco: (Laughs)
Derek Theler: Like I keep saying, just the pace of it and how fast it is and how focused everybody is on set because they have so many things to get through in one day. I don't want to be the guy that messes up the scene, which I feel like I was once or twice (laughs).
Kelly Monaco: No, not at all.
Derek Theler: And nobody is used to that because everyone is so professional on the set there but I definitely felt at home and it was fun...it was a great experience!
SitcomsOnline: Going back to the Baby Daddy episode for a bit, I'm hoping that you come back for another episode or two, Kelly. Any plans on for you to return to stir things up with Danny? Or is it just a one-off guest appearance?
SitcomsOnline: And finally, what key learning item did you guys take away from each other's format? So, Derek, what did you take away from the soap opera format and Kelly what did you take away from the sitcom format? And also please share with our readers some other interesting facts!
Kelly Monaco: For me it was the exact opposite. To have the luxury of rehearsing all week and working out the kinks and being able to try different things was definitely a departure from what I am used to like Derek said we have to pretty much in one take go-go-go and you have to go with your instincts and kind of spread it out. And to be able to like really kind of marinate in a character is pretty fun.
Kelly Monaco: (As for some interesting facts) Derek is really tall.
Derek Theler: (Laughs). And Kelly is pretty short. That's about it, I had a great time, it was an enjoyable experience and I'm glad I did it.
We appreciate Derek and Kelly taking the time to talk with us! They were both very fun and informative. They really seemed excited about this crossover event and wanted to share with us as much as they can. We encourage fans to check out the crossover event on Baby Daddy on ABC Family this Wednesday and on ABC's General Hospital on Feb. 13.
CBS has pulled the last two scheduled airings of The McCarthys from its line-up. Instead, CBS will once again air repeats of The Big Bang Theory the next two Thursdays at 9:30pm. Now CBS will have four episodes left to air of The McCarthys, if they ever schedule it. Because come Feb. 19, The Odd Couple is joining the CBS Thursday line-up and there is no room for The McCarthys to air. Has CBS given up on the freshman comedy? It sure seems like it because they already had preempted the show on Jan. 22 for a Big Bang repeat. The McCarthys is a multi-camera comedy about a loud, sports-crazed Boston family whose somewhat athletically challenged son, Ronny (Tyler Ritter), is chosen by his father to be his assistant high school basketball coach, much to the surprise of his more qualified siblings. Ronny wants nothing more than to move away, join the singles scene and find a partner. His distraught mother, Marjorie (Laurie Metcalf), is not upset that her favorite son is gay, but that he wants to leave Boston and his family. Ronny's plans change, however, when his politically incorrect and outspoken father, Arthur (Jack McGee), stuns everyone with his choice for an assistant. Touched by his father's offer, Ronny embarks on a completely different future - and he can be sure that his loving, tight-knit family is going to have a very vocal opinion about it.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.