Wednesday, February 25, 2015
Netflix, the world's leading Internet TV network, will premiere exclusively in all of its territories the new feature film, Pee-wee's Big Holiday, starring Paul Reubens as the beloved fun-loving hero of TV, stage and film, Pee-wee Herman. Judd Apatow (Anchorman, Bridesmaids) and Reubens, who worked together to bring the project to fruition, will produce the film. Reubens and Paul Rust (Comedy Bang! Bang!, Arrested Development) wrote the film. John Lee (Broad City, Inside Amy Schumer) makes his feature film directorial debut with production beginning in early 2015. In Pee-wee's Big Holiday, a fateful meeting with a mysterious stranger inspires Pee-wee Herman to take his first-ever holiday in this epic story of friendship and destiny.
Paul Reubens of course created the iconic character, Pee-wee Herman, while a member of the famed Los Angeles improv group The Groundlings. The Pee-wee Herman Show premiered at The Groundlings Theatre on February 7, 1981 at midnight. It quickly moved to The Roxy on Sunset Strip where it ran for an unprecedented five months. The HBO broadcast of the show introduced Pee-wee to a national audience. Pee-wee Herman was brought to the big screen in the hit 1985 comedy Pee-wee's Big Adventure, which Paul Reubens co-wrote and marked Tim Burton's directorial debut. Reubens went on to create, co-write and co-direct Pee-wee's Playhouse on CBS where the series earned 22 Emmy(R) Awards during its five year run. Reubens has been nominated for 14 Emmy(R) Awards, winning twice. In January of 2010, Reubens starred in, produced and co-wrote The Pee-wee Herman Show which completed a critically acclaimed four week run at LA Live's Club Nokia in Los Angeles. With the incredible success in Los Angeles, Reubens brought The Pee-wee Herman Show to Broadway which opened November 11, 2010 to rave reviews with The New York Times calling the show, "Yummier than chocolate;" New York saying, "Welcome Back, Pee-wee! You were sorely missed;" and the New York Post saying, "the audience screams for joy!" Three decades after his first HBO special, Reubens returned to the network with an exclusive version of the hit Broadway show.
TBS is hitting the road with a 10-episode order for a new comedy series from The Daily Show's Jason Jones & Samantha Bee. Jones stars in the series, which is inspired by his and Bee's own experiences with family getaways. Also starring are Natalie Zea (Justified, The Following), Ashley Gerasimovich (Louie, We Need to Talk about Kevin) and Liam Carroll (The Neighbors). Production is slated to begin this summer, with the TBS launch scheduled for Q4 2015. An honest and darkly comedic look at family, TBS's new series will follow a couple and their two young kids as they take a road trip to Florida. Jones stars as unfiltered dad Nate, who packs his wife, Robin (Zea), along with their rebellious daughter Delilah (Gerasimovich) and simpleton son Jared (Carroll), into the family car for what Nate is convinced will be the adventure of a lifetime. Every leg of their trip, however, is fraught with unforeseen disaster as they encounter one hellish turn after another. Plans call for each season of the show to chronicle a different family adventure.
With the addition of Bee and Jones' new series, TBS now has four scripted comedies set to debut in 2015, including Angie Tribeca, starring Rashida Jones and created by Daily Show alum Steve Carell and Nancy Carell; Your Family or Mine, a domestic comedy with a twist starring Kyle Howard, Kat Foster, Richard Dreyfuss, Ed Begley Jr. and Cynthia Stevenson; and Buzzy's, a workplace comedy with Ashley Tisdale, Mike Castle, Lauren Lapkus, Ryan Pinkston, Matt Cook and George Wendt.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, February 25
The Thundermans - "Ditch Perfect" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Phoebe learns Max’s band plans to dump him, she suspects that his superhero training is hurting his friendships. Determined to help, she attempts to repair things with the band, but her good deeds quickly backfire.
Game Shakers - "Wedding Shower of Doom" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Dub’s brother shows up at Game Shakers and invites everyone except Dub to his wedding, the kids convince him to bring his brother into the fold, promising to make Dub behave himself at the event.
Monday, February 27
- Keri Russell (Running Wilde) - Watch Keri on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Slink Johnson (Black Jesus) - Slick is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about The Arrangement on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) - David chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Leighton Meester (Making History) - Leighton stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John Lithgow (Trial & Error/Twenty Good Years/3rd Rock from the Sun) - John talks about Trial & Error on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy dishes on how This is Us is following in Mike & Molly’s footsteps – and why both shows are so beloved on People Now at 8:30am.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) and Craig Robinson (The Office) - Lisa and Craig talk about their new film Table 19 on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig appears on The Real, so check your local listings.