Saturday, November 29, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: Network Development Season Means Lots of Remakes; Guest Hosts for The Late Late Show Post-Craig Ferguson
- As the network development season marches on, it should come as no surprise that the big thing that the networks are banking on next season is remakes of movies and series from the past. (Deadline)
- Fox is looking into making a single camera sitcom based upon the comic strip Jump Start. (Deadline)
- CBS is taking a somewhat unusual approach for The Late Late Show to fill the gap after current host Craig Ferguson leaves and incoming host James Corden arrives, and it involves having the series hosted by guests, including Drew Carey, Kunal Nayyar, Will Arnett, Sean Hayes, and (very oddly) John Mayer, as well as special "after dark" versions of the daytime series The Talk. (CBS News)
- While the name won't sound familiar to many in the United States, Mexican comedian Chespirito died over the weekend; it should be noted that the Simpsons character Bumblebee Man was based upon him. (The Guardian)
- Selfie and Manhattan Love Story may be history, but that doesn't mean that you can't watch the remaining episodes, as ABC has plans to allow you to do just that (though not on the actual network). (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Sony's release of Maude - The Complete First Season is now out-of-print, but for those who still want it, Mill Creek will be re-releasing it on February 3 (it isn't available to pre-order just yet).
DECEMBER 2 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Happy Days - The Sixth Season (DVD, $39.98): Richie, The Fonz, and the rest of the gang return for this release of the classic show on DVD.
- The Simpsons - The Complete Seventeenth Season (DVD, $49.98; Blu-ray, $59.99): Sideshow Bob graces the cover of the latest release of The Simpsons on home media, which brings fans the 2005-2006 season along with plenty of special features.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, December 10
Saturday, December 10
- Dennis Haskins (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Dennis will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Watch Jennifer Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also chats about the film Why Him? on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Chris visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS. She joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Matthew stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will talks about Collateral Beauty on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Out of Practice/Arrested Development) - Henry will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) - Megan is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.