Saturday, November 08, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Cancelation and a Few More Episodes Ordered for Another Series; CHiPs to Continue on DVD
- Another week has passed and another show has been canceled, as it seems that ABC's Selfie was more of a "photo bomb." (Entertainment Weekly)
- While some shows have been getting canceled and others getting full season orders, now we're seeing the series that are sort of on the fence getting additional episodes to prove themselves. This week, NBC's Marry Me got an order for five extra episodes. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Adult Swim is known for debuting odd new programming at hours like 4 AM, as they did with this 11 minute parody on what sitcom opening credits used to be like. (Rolling Stone)
- As they network has been faced with a less than impressive new season, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? will be returning to Fox with new episodes. (Entertainment Weekly)
- CBS has announced the final guests for The Late Late Show as Craig Ferguson prepares to leave the series, with the last guest being Jay Leno. (Deadline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- It looks like after a long hiatus, the series CHiPs will be continuing on DVD, with a release of CHiPs - The Complete Third Season on March 3.
- Mister Ed - The Complete Series arrives on DVD on December 9, and as an added bonus, the set will included unedited versions of the first season.
- For fans of The Bob Newhart Show who didn't get the Shout! Factory release of the complete series, The Bob Newhart Show - Season Five and The Bob Newhart Show - The Final Season will both arrive on DVD on February 3.
RECENT REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE.COM
- WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series: Shout! Factory's release of this series is almost perfect and much improved from the season 1 release that Fox released several years ago. Most original music is included, but there are a few minor issues (though none that make the set less than worthy of owning).
- Highway to Heaven - The Complete Fifth Season: Mill Creek's final release of this series is consistent with most of their previous releases, giving fans a great series in a no-frills, low-priced set.
NOVEMBER 11 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Batman - The Complete Television Series (DVD, $199.70; Blu-ray, $296.97): Once again, a series that was thought to never be possible on DVD arrives not only on DVD, but also on Blu-ray. The highly anticipated release, which is a collaborative release between Warner Home Video and 20th Century Fox, contains every episode of the series and plenty of special features, in multiple configurations. Also available for those who want the series in smaller doses is Batman - The Complete First Season.
- Dads - The Complete Series (DVD, $34.95): The short-lived Fox series arrives on DVD in a two disc set.
- Family Ties - The Complete Series (DVD, $89.98): The classic sitcom returns to DVD with a lower-priced complete series release (but without the special features included on the previous release).
- Taxi - The Complete Series (DVD, $79.98): The classic sitcom from the CBS library comes to DVD in a complete series configuration for the first time.
- Wings - The Complete Series (DVD, $69.98): Mill Creek takes flight as they bring all eight seasons of this classic series to DVD in a single release.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.