Monday, November 10, 2014
FX is ending Anger Management after 100 episodes. The series is airing Mondays at 10:00pm & 10:30pm et/pt on FX and will conclude with its two-episode series finale on Monday, December 22. The Charlie Sheen sitcom was part of the 10/90 format, where if it met a designated ratings threshold for its test of 10 episodes in its first season, a back 90 would be ordered. Now that back 90 will be concluding this December after 2 years. FX and Debmar-Mercury will not order another season. The series entered broadcast syndication this past fall and is airing five days a week on broadcast stations in repeats. The series was inspired by the film, in which a mild-mannered, non-confrontational man is ordered to attend group anger management sessions led by a therapist who could probably use some anger management himself. Besides Sheen, the series stars and an ensemble that includes Shawnee Smith, Laura Bell Bundy, Noureen DeWulf, Michael Arden, Derek Richardson, Barry Corbin, Brett Butler and Daniela Bobadilla. Stay with us for any other updates, as FX still to make a decision on the 10/90 series Partners, starring Martin Lawrence and Kelsey Grammer. They already didn't pick up the George Lopez sitcom Saint George after it underwhelmed in ratings for its 10 episode test.
Character actor Richard Schaal, who had roles in The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, Rhoda and Phyllis, has died. He died on November 4 at the Motion Picture and Television Fund retirement home in Woodland Hills, California. No cause of death has been announced. Mr. Schaal was 86.
Schaal appeared in five episodes as four different characters in The Mary Tyler Moore Show from 1970-1974. He played Howard Arnell, his brother Paul, Chuckles the Clown (the first on-camera appearance of Chuckles in "The Show Must Go On") and Dino. Schaal also appeared as three different characters in three episodes of The Bob Newhart Show from 1972-1974. He guest starred as Charlie Burke, an annoying friend of Rhoda's husband, in three episodes of Rhoda from 1974-1976.
He starred in the first season of the 1975-1977 CBS sitcom Phyllis. He appeared as Leo Heatherton, a well-meaning but bumbling photographer who worked with Phyllis (Cloris Leachman) and Julie (Liz Torres) at the studio. Schaal also directed one episode of the series in 1976.
In 1983, he had a recurring role as Chuck, Keith Burrow's (Richard Gilliand) neighbor, in the short-lived ABC sitcom Just Our Luck. Some of his other sitcom guest appearances included The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Dream of Jeannie, That Girl, The Doris Day Show, Love, American Style, The Partridge Family, Here We Go Again, It's a Living, The Two of Us, Harper Valley P.T.A. and Sydney.
His drama credits included a recurring role as Dr. David Sandler in eight episodes of Trapper John, M.D. from 1981-1985. He appeared as Dick Long in the 1988-1989 CBS series Almost Grown, which starred Tim Daly and Eve Gordon. Some of his other drama guest appearances included East Side/West Side, The F.B.I., Banacek, Shaft, The Rockford Files, Harry O, Police Woman and The Dukes of Hazzard. His film credits included The Russians Are Coming, the Russians are Coming, Slaughterhouse-Five, Americathon, The Hollywood Knights and Once Bitten.
Survivors include his daughter, actress Wendy Schaal. He was married to actress Valerie Harper from 1964 to 1978.
Mr. Schaal was a fine character actor. He was a familiar face in many sitcoms of the 1970s. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.