Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Yahoo and Mandalay Sports Media have confirmed that production has begun in Las Vegas, NV on Sin City Saints, a new half-hour comedy slated for release this winter. Conceived by Mandalay Sports Media, SCS follows the triumphs, travails and transgressions of Las Vegas' brand-new pro basketball franchise. Andrew Santino (ABC's Mixology) has been cast as Jake Tullus, the Saints' unpredictable and charismatic owner, who made his fortune as an internet disruptor in the field of Big Data. Malin Akerman (ABC's Trophy Wife) will star opposite Santino as Dusty Halford, a Stanford-educated lawyer who is the special assistant to the Commissioner, and Tom Arnold (Gardens of the Night, Hit and Run, Sons of Anarchy) will star as Kevin Freeman, a private casino host who happens to know all the city's secrets. The eight-episode run began production last week in Las Vegas at The Orleans Hotel and Casino. Mike Tollin will executive produce alongside Chris Case and Bryan Gordon who will also direct. Fred Savage (Modern Family, Happy Endings) is also on board to direct two episodes. Rounding out the cast is; B.K. Cannon (Switched at Birth), Justin Chon (Twilight), Keith Powers (Pretty Little Liars), Rick Fox (The Game) and former NBA player Baron Davis.
Shout! Factory announced that one of the most iconic and groundbreaking television shows from Sony Pictures Television, All in the Family, is now available on iTunes at iTunes.com/NormanLear from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. As of yesterday, Seasons 1 through 4 of Norman Lear's All in the Family are available on Digital HD for the first time, featuring all 85 original episodes from Seasons 1 through 4. iTunes will also offer Digital HD bonus content, including the original pilot, "Those Were The Days," along with the alternative pilot, and two featurettes on the history and making of the series. Simultaneously, Norman Lear's autobiography, "Even This I Get to Experience," is also available on iBooks at iTunes.com/NormanLear. The memoir, also available in an audio version, details never-before-heard stories about the development and creation of All in the Family. Find Norman Lear on twitter at @TheNormanLear.
Few television shows have left such a substantial and enduring footprint on American popular culture as Norman Lear's masterpiece, All in the Family. The revolutionary series looked at the state of the world through the eyes of an argumentative, but loving family and introduced some of the most fully-dimensional characters in television history. The jokes had a million targets, touching on race, politics, sex and human foibles, but the humor was firmly rooted in the characters of Archie, Edith, Mike and Gloria. Produced and developed by legendary TV producer Norman Lear (Sanford and Son; One Day at a Time; The Jeffersons; Good Times; Maude; Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman), All in the Family premiered on Jan. 12, 1971. The show focused on a middle-class family living in Queens, NY in the 1970's, starring Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker, Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker, Rob Reiner as liberal son-in-law Mike "Meathead" Stivic, and Sally Struthers as daughter Gloria. All in the Family was No. 1 in the ratings for most of its nine-season run and won multiple Emmy® Awards. The release of the show on iTunes is a long overdue celebration of the enormously influential series and delivers fans something to treasure for years to come. Forty-three years after its debut, All in the Family still resonates and continues to receive praise from critics. In 2012, television critic Tom Shales wrote that "All in the Family was a great contribution to television, and to the human race." That same year, Neil Genzlinger of The New York Times said "we can now see that it may also have been a high-water mark for television in terms of how much impact a single series can have in shaping American culture."
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.