Monday, August 11, 2014
Syfy's 2014 Fall Programming primetime lineup will feature the highly anticipated six hour event series Ascension, starring Tricia Helfer (November 24); the series premieres of Z Nation (September 12) and the docuseries Town of the Living Dead (October 7); the season five return of Haven (September 11) and the special 10th anniversary season of Ghost Hunters (October 8). And for the seventh consecutive year, Syfy will celebrate the Halloween season with nearly 600 hours of ghoulish programming during the month-long 31 Days of Halloween (October 1-31), including new original movies Dark Haul (stars Tom Sizemore) and Finders Keepers (stars Jaime Pressly). Highlighting the new series, Z Nation premieres Friday, Sept. 12 at 10 and stars Harold Perrineau (Oz, Lost) Tom Everett Scott (Southland, Beauty and the Beast), DJ Qualls (Supernatural), Michael Welch (Twilight trilogy), Kellita Smith (The Bernie Mac Show) Anastasia Baranova (The Darkness II) as Addy, Russell Hodgkinson (Big Fish) as Doc and Keith Allan (Rise of the Zombies) as Murphy. Ascension premieres Monday, Nov. 24 at 9 and stars Brandon P. Bell (Hollywood Heights) as the confident and capable First Officer Aaron Gault, Brian Van Holt (Cougar Town, The Bridge) as the eponymous ship's captain William Denninger and Tricia Helfer (Killer Women, Battlestar Galactica) as Viondra Denniger, the Captain's beautiful, manipulative and dangerous wife (who also serves as the ship's Chief Steward). And finally, another original movie will air in November called Mutant World, starring Kim Coates and singer Ashanti.
Viewers can smile again, because as we mentioned Candid Camera is back with a fresh new version on TV Land starting tonight! The newly rebooted series, with hosts Mayim Bialik (Blossom, The Big Bang Theory) and Peter Funt, airs new episodes today through Thursday (August 11-14) at 8pm ET/PT, before taking its regularly scheduled spot on Tuesdays at 8pm ET/PT, starting on August 19. Candid Camera, which is executive produced by Funt and Electus Studios' Ben Silverman, features gags that catch unsuspecting people in bizarre, challenging and hilarious situations. Each episode will feature gags that have fun with some of today's most buzzed about topics from a garage that won't service straight people to a mailman revealing he has been replaced with a drone. These modern scenarios, coupled with classic Candid Camera comedy, prove that laughter is timeless.
The premiere episode, airing Monday, August 11, sees patients become increasingly confused when their dental hygienist is actually a mobile device instructing them to perform their own exam. The episode also features guest star Megan Hilty (Smash), who baffles mechanics in a classic "then and now" gag (first pulled years ago on the original Candid Camera) when she rolls into their garages asking for an inspection, only for them to find that the car has no engine. Future episodes will feature more guest stars pulling off gags on an unsuspecting public. New York City's Hot 97 DJ Peter Rosenberg will encourage aspiring rappers to improvise lyrics with non-existent words, singer/actress Carnie Wilson poses as a jittery tattoo artist much to her customers' terror and baseball Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson joins as a special guest with a mystifying magician.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, September 29
Superstore - "Back to Work" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), the district manager from corporate, tells the Cloud 9 employees he is going to be around for the day to see what can improve in the store. Amy (America Ferrera) tries to impress him with a perfect day, but a workplace accident threatens her plan. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to come off as a tough boss in front of Jeff, Jonah (Ben Feldman) attempts to help an unyielding Dina (Lauren Ash) win over the employees she betrayed in the strike and Mateo (Nico Santos) discovers something about Jeff in his pursuit to win him over.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Earworm Reverberation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon has a revelation when he realizes why a song was stuck in his head. Also, Amy invites Dave (Stephen Merchant) over for dinner despite their previously awkward date, and Wolowitz and Koothrappali become obsessed with a fan of their band, “Footprints on the Moon.”
Kevin Can Wait - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin James stars as a newly retired police officer looking forward to spending carefree, quality time with his wife and three kids, only to find he faces tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.
Better Things - "Woman Is the Something of the Something" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam gets really looked at.
Thursday, September 29
- Judith Light (Transparent/Phenom/Who's the Boss?) - Catch Judith on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Meadows (Son of Zorn/Marry Me/The Michael Richards Show) - Tim appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community), Dave Foley (Dr. Ken/NewsRadio) and Suzy Nakamura (Dr. Ken/Go On) - Ken, Dave and Suzy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Ken will also be on Harry, so check your local listings.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Sarah appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be) - Holland talks about The Front Page on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Guys with Kids) - Jamie-Lynn is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.