Saturday, August 16, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Hosting Gig for Craig Ferguson; Wonder Years DVD Music Update; New DVDs from Mill Creek
- Craig Ferguson may be leaving CBS soon, but it appears that he may be staying in the talk show arena after all, as he is in talks with Tribune to do a half hour talk show that would likely air in the prime access hour, to compete against classic staples such as Entertainment Tonight, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy. (TVLine)
- Desperate Housewives has been off the air for two seasons, and now, it appears that Nicollette Sheridan's wrongful termination lawsuit has ended. (The Hollywood Reporter)
- We used to all watch our favorite TV shows at the same time, but in the era of DVR and video on demand, that is no longer the case... so how long should we wait before revealing spoilers in this new era? (Deadline)
- Grit and Escape, two new broadcast digital networks, are set to launch on Monday at noon. You can check out their websites to see if any of your local stations will carry the networks. (Grit, Escape)
- iHeartRadio, the app that you probably have on your smartphone to play radio stations from ClearChannel, Cumulus, Cox, and several other large radio corporations, is not just for music anymore. NBC will be using it to allow fans to preview the sitcom A to Z before it airs, which debuts this fall. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Every week, it seems that we have more news about the release of The Wonder Years - The Complete Series, and this week is no exception, as the studio gave a complete listing of all of the original music that will be included... an astonishing 96% of the original music can be found. And for those who wonder what's missing, a fan of the series on the website Home Theater Forum made a list of songs that appeared in the series that are not on the list provided by StarVista. While we suspect some of the "missing" songs may be oversights (such as public domain songs that StarVista didn't bother to include on their list), it is worth noting that music is notably missing from The Doors, Richie Havens, and Blood, Sweat & Tears.
- Mill Creek is re-releasing more Sony DVD sets on October 21, with Married... With Children - Seasons 5 and 6 and Square Pegs - The Complete Series.
- Universal will be re-releasing the classic series Quantum Leap as a complete series on November 4, with Quantum Leap - The Complete Series.
AUGUST 19 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Millers - The First Season (DVD, $49.98): The first season of the CBS sitcom arrives on DVD, along with a nice collection of special features.
- The Mindy Project - Season Two (DVD, $29.98): The sophomore season of the Fox sitcom debuts on DVD with this release.
- Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD, $29.93): Fans of the classic series can return to the Stratford Inn with this release.
- Parks and Recreation - Season Six (DVD, $39.98): The NBC sitcom starring Amy Poehler returns to DVD once again with this release.
- Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door (DVD, $134.98): Return to the place where the kisses are hers and hers and his with this complete series release, which puts all of the previously released season sets into one box.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.