Saturday, August 16, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Hosting Gig for Craig Ferguson; Wonder Years DVD Music Update; New DVDs from Mill Creek
- Craig Ferguson may be leaving CBS soon, but it appears that he may be staying in the talk show arena after all, as he is in talks with Tribune to do a half hour talk show that would likely air in the prime access hour, to compete against classic staples such as Entertainment Tonight, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy. (TVLine)
- Desperate Housewives has been off the air for two seasons, and now, it appears that Nicollette Sheridan's wrongful termination lawsuit has ended. (The Hollywood Reporter)
- We used to all watch our favorite TV shows at the same time, but in the era of DVR and video on demand, that is no longer the case... so how long should we wait before revealing spoilers in this new era? (Deadline)
- Grit and Escape, two new broadcast digital networks, are set to launch on Monday at noon. You can check out their websites to see if any of your local stations will carry the networks. (Grit, Escape)
- iHeartRadio, the app that you probably have on your smartphone to play radio stations from ClearChannel, Cumulus, Cox, and several other large radio corporations, is not just for music anymore. NBC will be using it to allow fans to preview the sitcom A to Z before it airs, which debuts this fall. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Every week, it seems that we have more news about the release of The Wonder Years - The Complete Series, and this week is no exception, as the studio gave a complete listing of all of the original music that will be included... an astonishing 96% of the original music can be found. And for those who wonder what's missing, a fan of the series on the website Home Theater Forum made a list of songs that appeared in the series that are not on the list provided by StarVista. While we suspect some of the "missing" songs may be oversights (such as public domain songs that StarVista didn't bother to include on their list), it is worth noting that music is notably missing from The Doors, Richie Havens, and Blood, Sweat & Tears.
- Mill Creek is re-releasing more Sony DVD sets on October 21, with Married... With Children - Seasons 5 and 6 and Square Pegs - The Complete Series.
- Universal will be re-releasing the classic series Quantum Leap as a complete series on November 4, with Quantum Leap - The Complete Series.
AUGUST 19 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Millers - The First Season (DVD, $49.98): The first season of the CBS sitcom arrives on DVD, along with a nice collection of special features.
- The Mindy Project - Season Two (DVD, $29.98): The sophomore season of the Fox sitcom debuts on DVD with this release.
- Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD, $29.93): Fans of the classic series can return to the Stratford Inn with this release.
- Parks and Recreation - Season Six (DVD, $39.98): The NBC sitcom starring Amy Poehler returns to DVD once again with this release.
- Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door (DVD, $134.98): Return to the place where the kisses are hers and hers and his with this complete series release, which puts all of the previously released season sets into one box.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, September 30
Last Man Standing - "Gameday Forecast: Showers" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When a Jack and Jill wedding shower for Mandy and Kyle is announced, Mike is disappointed to learn it’s on the same day as the big Broncos-Chargers game. In an effort to catch the game with Joe (Jay Leno) and the guys, Mike convinces the couple to hold separate showers. Ryan offers to host the men’s festivities at his place, and to Mike’s dismay, he’s more into party planning than anyone would have thought. Meanwhile, Ed’s convinced that sticking to his superstitious rituals is the only way to see to it that the Broncos pull out a big win, even if it means interfering with Mandy’s wedding shower.
Dr. Ken - "Ken and Allison Share a Patient" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Allison’s first work day at Welltopia, she and Ken try to prove the other wrong when it comes to a patient’s diagnosis. After Damona introduces her new boyfriend, Eric, to co-workers, Pat surprises everyone and announces he’s also dating someone. Meanwhile, it’s Dave’s first day of middle school, and he’s nervous he won’t be able to make friends, so he turns to D.K. to help reinvent his image.
Liv and Maddie - "Linda & Heather-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Liv thinks she landed a small role on a hit show called ``Linda and Heather'' but her part turns out to be much bigger; Joey experiences relationship woes.
Bunk'd - "Luke Out Below" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Luke comes back to camp and takes Griff and Zuri on an adventure to prove that he's just as responsible as the other CITs.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Three Times" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Leslie and Angela try to fix their seemingly broken friendship with Jennifer.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "The Flower Delivery" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Keisha manages to intercept Richard's gift for his new love interest.
Friday, September 30
- Minnie Driver (Speechless/About a Boy) - Watch Minnie on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) - Nathan visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Abby Elliott (Odd Mom Out) - Abby appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Clark Gregg (The New Adventures of Old Christine) - Clark is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Margo Martindale (The Millers) - Margo joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Ashley Williams (The Jim Gaffigan Show/How I Met Your Mother/Good Morning, Miami) - Ashley talks about her Hallmark Channel original movie Love on a Limb on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah stops by Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim talks about Madam Secretary on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Sara Rue (Impastor/Less Than Perfect) and Michael Rosenbaum (Impastor) - Sara and Michael talks about Season 2 of TV Land's Impastor on People Now at 8:30am.