Saturday, August 16, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Hosting Gig for Craig Ferguson; Wonder Years DVD Music Update; New DVDs from Mill Creek
- Craig Ferguson may be leaving CBS soon, but it appears that he may be staying in the talk show arena after all, as he is in talks with Tribune to do a half hour talk show that would likely air in the prime access hour, to compete against classic staples such as Entertainment Tonight, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy. (TVLine)
- Desperate Housewives has been off the air for two seasons, and now, it appears that Nicollette Sheridan's wrongful termination lawsuit has ended. (The Hollywood Reporter)
- We used to all watch our favorite TV shows at the same time, but in the era of DVR and video on demand, that is no longer the case... so how long should we wait before revealing spoilers in this new era? (Deadline)
- Grit and Escape, two new broadcast digital networks, are set to launch on Monday at noon. You can check out their websites to see if any of your local stations will carry the networks. (Grit, Escape)
- iHeartRadio, the app that you probably have on your smartphone to play radio stations from ClearChannel, Cumulus, Cox, and several other large radio corporations, is not just for music anymore. NBC will be using it to allow fans to preview the sitcom A to Z before it airs, which debuts this fall. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Every week, it seems that we have more news about the release of The Wonder Years - The Complete Series, and this week is no exception, as the studio gave a complete listing of all of the original music that will be included... an astonishing 96% of the original music can be found. And for those who wonder what's missing, a fan of the series on the website Home Theater Forum made a list of songs that appeared in the series that are not on the list provided by StarVista. While we suspect some of the "missing" songs may be oversights (such as public domain songs that StarVista didn't bother to include on their list), it is worth noting that music is notably missing from The Doors, Richie Havens, and Blood, Sweat & Tears.
- Mill Creek is re-releasing more Sony DVD sets on October 21, with Married... With Children - Seasons 5 and 6 and Square Pegs - The Complete Series.
- Universal will be re-releasing the classic series Quantum Leap as a complete series on November 4, with Quantum Leap - The Complete Series.
AUGUST 19 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Millers - The First Season (DVD, $49.98): The first season of the CBS sitcom arrives on DVD, along with a nice collection of special features.
- The Mindy Project - Season Two (DVD, $29.98): The sophomore season of the Fox sitcom debuts on DVD with this release.
- Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season (DVD, $29.93): Fans of the classic series can return to the Stratford Inn with this release.
- Parks and Recreation - Season Six (DVD, $39.98): The NBC sitcom starring Amy Poehler returns to DVD once again with this release.
- Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door (DVD, $134.98): Return to the place where the kisses are hers and hers and his with this complete series release, which puts all of the previously released season sets into one box.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, December 7
The Goldbergs - "Globetrotters" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Adam attends a Globetrotters game, he falls in love with the “theatrics” of the team and tries doing his own tricks on the court. But when he cuts together a video that makes Barry look like he lost a game to Adam and his friends, Barry demands a rematch, culminating in an epic battle at the school gym. Meanwhile, it’s Murray’s 50th birthday, and, despite his protests, Beverly throws yet another surprise party for him but gets more than she bargained for.
Speechless - " S-L--SLED H-O--HOCKEY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
JJ instantly wants to join a sled hockey team made up entirely of people with disabilities, but Jimmy is not thrilled and thinks it’s dangerous. Meanwhile, Maya takes a CPR class with Kenneth, and she sees how popular he is and realizes that she needs to be nicer in order to keep him as JJ’s aide.
Modern Family - "A Tale of Three Cities" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After recent trips take the Dunphys to New York; Mitch, Cam and Lily to the Midwest; and Jay, Gloria, Manny and Joe to Juarez, Mexico; the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clan reunites.
black-ish - "Nothing but Nepotism" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Bow urges Dre to use his connections and secure Zoey a fellowship, but he doesn’t want his daughter relying on nepotism. When Bow finds Zoey a place at the hospital, Dre balks at the idea and successfully pulls some strings at Teen Vogue. Meanwhile, Junior loses his first job at an arcade pizza joint that the twins love after he reports their unclean practices to corporate, and they shut it down.
Younger - "Pigeons, Parrots, and Storks" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Liza and Josh’s future together is thrown into question after having opposing reactions to a near miss.
Impastor - "The Neighbor's Wife" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Buddy deals with the shocking arrival of Alexa’s husband. Dora makes a frightening discovery. Schmidt’s engagement party takes an unexpected turn.
Wednesday, December 7
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - Watch T.J on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Lily appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Melissa is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Chris visits ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jane Lynch (Angel from Hell) and Kate Flannery (The Office) - Jane and Kate give a musical performance on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Michael Rosenbaum (Impastor/Zoe, Duncan, Jack and Jane) and Mircea Monroe (Impastor/Episodes) - Michael and Mircea are guests on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Jennifer and the cast of Office Christmas Party are guests on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Aimee Carrero (Young & Hungry) - Aimee appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emmanuelle is a guest on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10am.