Monday, July 14, 2014
The TCA Summer 2014 press tour continued this weekend and it was time for broadcast networks to take over. First up is NBC. Among the key announcements made were: renewals to a 10th season of America's Got Talent, a ninth season of Last Comic Standing and a fourth season of American Ninja Warrior, which airs in partnership with Esquire Network. These series all air in the summer. A new special is coming to NBC next May. Red Nose Day, the U.K.'s #1 television fundraising event, is finally coming to America in a spectacular star-studded special live on NBC. In collaboration with Comic Relief U.K. - the British charity behind Red Nose Day - NBC will televise a three-hour benefit in May 2015 as a celebration for the U.S. inaugural Red Nose Day event. Guest stars on the NBC broadcast, as well as the charities involved, will be announced at a later date. Then, Oscar-winning actor Christopher Walken, one of the most revered talents of his generation and a veteran of film, television and stage, will portray the iconic Captain Hook in NBC's Thursday, Dec. 4 telecast of Peter Pan Live! As far as the panels yesterday, after the executive session there was a panel for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards hosted by Seth Meyers. The telecast airs Monday, Aug. 25 on NBC. The first series panel was for the upcoming new drama State of Affairs starring Katherine Heigl and Alfre Woodard. After lunch, there was a panel for The Mysteries of Laura. On hand were stars Debra Messing, Laz Alonso, Janina Gavankar and Josh Lucas. The first sitcom panel went to the new comedy Marry Me starring Casey Wilson, Ken Marino, John Gemberling, Tymberlee Hill, Sarah Wright and Tim Meadows. Then the floor was to the new drama Constantine with stars Matt Ryan, Charles Halford and Harold Perrineau. Next up was the risque comedy Bad Judge starring Kate Walsh and Tone Bell and produced by Anne Heche. More comedy was next with a panel for A to Z with stars Lenora Crichlow, Ben Feldman, Christina Kirk, Cristin Milioti, and Henry Zebrowski, along with producers Rashida Jones and Will McCormack. And finally, the final panel of the day went to just showrunners of NBC's signature dramas: The Blacklist, Grimm, Parenthood, and Chicago Fire/Chicago P.D. The All-Star Party closed the day out. Up today will be NBC Cable networks, NBC Sports and NBC Television Distribution. We'll cover anything noteworthy from it.
Entourage is now going to air on another Viacom cable network. It has aired on other Viacom-owned networks like Spike TV, Comedy Central, TV Land and MTV2 but it never has taken off in the ratings. Now VH1 Classic will try airing the series. It will launch on Sunday, July 20 with a primetime marathon from 8pm-12am (with an encore from 3-7pm on July 21). The series will then regularly air Mon-Thurs at 11:30pm beginning Monday, July 21. An encore of the the previous night's episode will air Tues-Fri at 4pm beginning July 22. The series chronicles the acting career of Vincent Chase, a young A-list movie star, and his childhood friends from Queens, New York City, as they navigate the unfamiliar terrain of Los Angeles, California. The series stars Kevin Connolly, Adrian Grenier, Kevin Dillon, Jerry Ferrara, Jeremy Piven, Debi Mazar, Perrey Reeves, Rex Lee, Rhys Coiro, Gary Cole, Emmanuelle Chriqui, and Scott Caan.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.