Thursday, July 03, 2014
FXX Orders Jay Baruchel Comedy; Investigation Discovery's New Series Heartbreakers Features Sitcom Stars
FXX has ordered 10 episodes of the comedy series Man Seeking Woman, starring Jay Baruchel from former Saturday Night Live writer Simon Rich. The series will air on FXX and premiere in 2015. A sweet and absurd look at the surreal life-and-death stakes of dating, Man Seeking Woman centers on "Josh Greenberg" (Baruchel), a naive romantic on a desperate quest for love. Rounding out the cast are series regulars Eric Andre (The Eric Andre Show, Don't Trust the B-- in Apartment 23), Britt Lower (Unforgettable) and Maya Erskine (Betas). Man Seeking Woman is based on Simon Rich's book of short stories, The Last Girlfriend on Earth. Rich wrote the pilot, with Jonathan Krisel (Kroll Show, Portlandia) directing. Rich will be Executive Producer/Showrunner, as Krisel, along with Andrew Singer and Lorne Michaels are Executive Producers on the series. Broadway Video will produce for FX Productions.
Several sitcom stars will be featured in Investigation Discovery's (ID) new series Heartbreakers. Hunky Hollywood actors from the '80s and '90s reunite on screen to portray real-life dreamboats who turned into total nightmares. Directed and written in a sensational, Aaron Spelling-esque style reminiscent of classic primetime soaps, Heartbreakers takes true stories ripped from the headlines to show what really happens when the perfect catch turns out to be the perfect criminal. Featuring Kevin Sorbo (Hercules: The Legendary Journeys), Jack Wagner (Melrose Place), Judd Nelson (The Breakfast Club), Rob Estes (Melrose Place), Tracey Gold (Growing Pains), Nicole Eggert (Charles in Charge, Baywatch), Jamie Luner (Just the Ten of Us, Melrose Place), Christopher Knight (The Brady Bunch), and Antonio Sabato, Jr. (General Hospital), Heartbreakers makes its world premiere debut on ID on Wednesday, August 13 at 10/9c.
Heartbreakers is rooted in real stories that are already truly unbelievable on their own. The series also features interviews and behind-the-scenes commentary with the actual people involved, layering in context and additional information about each case. And not to disappoint, Heartbreakers provides a nod to the actors' previous lives in the primetime soap world, dropping little golden surprises that are sure to appeal to the fan's sense of nostalgia: anyone for The Brady Bunch's pork chops and apple sauce?
Here is the schedule:
"Losing My Religion" - Starring Jack Wagner, Rob Estes and Jamie Luner
World Premiere: Wednesday, August 13 at 10/9c
Pastor David "Brother" Love (Wagner) presides over a close-knit church in a community outside of Kansas City in 2000. The parishioners admire him, maybe none more so than Randy Stone (Estes), a loyal church member and one of his closest friends. But loyalties are tested when Love becomes too close with Randy's wife, Teresa (Luner). The forbidden relationship leads to a decade long affair full of secrets and lies. Manipulation, jealousy, money and heartbreak all play a part in this chilling story that leads to a shocking investigation of murder.
"Shot Through the Heart" - Starring Christopher Knight, Antonio Sabato, Jr. and Tracey Gold
World Premiere: Wednesday, August 20 at 10/9c
Set in the mid-1980s, a small Texas town is rocked by a love triangle that takes place at its Junior High School. Principal Hurley Fontenot (Knight) leaves his wife to be with the pretty, young new school clerk, Laura Nugent (Gold). And their relationship is blossoming, that is until Billy Mac Fleming (Sabato, Jr.) came to town. Fleming, the new Football Coach, swept Laura off her feet. Both men wanted her, but only one could have her. It was a classic showdown of brains versus brawn. They would all end up heartbroken. But one of them would end up in a dark, desolate ditch, the victim of an execution style murder.
"Tainted Love" - Starring Judd Nelson, Kevin Sorbo and Nicole Eggert
World Premiere: Wednesday, August 27 at 10/9c
On New Year's Day in 1991, David Russell Miller (Nelson), a wealthy businessman, and Jayne (Eggert), a beautiful single mother, boarded a flight from Orlando to Los Angeles. It would change both of their lives. The chance encounter led to a whirlwind romance and a Valentine's Day marriage six weeks later. It was a fairy tale life full of expensive dinners, exotic travel and extravagant living that they both loved. But there would be no happy ending. After a few months of marriage, private investigator Bob Brown (Sorbo) made some starling discoveries about the dark secrets that had been hidden. Once exposed, a standoff occurred and one of them was left the victim of a brutal and gruesome killing in broad daylight.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.