Thursday, May 29, 2014
The Broadcast Television Journalists Association (BTJA) announced nominations for the 4th annual Critics' Choice Television Awards, which will be broadcast live on The CW from the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Thursday, June 19, 2014 (8:00pm ET/8:00pm PT) and hosted by actor/comedian Cedric the Entertainer. Cedric is currently the star, co-creator and executive producer of the hit comedy series The Soul Man on TV Land as well as one of the stars of The Original Kings of Comedy. FX leads the networks in nominations with 19, followed closely by HBO which garnered 18. Topping the list of nominated series are The Big Bang Theory (CBS), Fargo (FX), The Good Wife (CBS), Masters of Sex (Showtime) and The Normal Heart (HBO) with five nominations each. Other top-nominated series include The Americans (FX), Breaking Bad (AMC), Orange Is the New Black (Netflix) and Sherlock: His Last Vow (PBS), which each received four nominations. Walton Goggins, Allison Janney and Martin Freeman were all nominated for their performances in two different shows. Goggins earned a Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series nomination for Justified, while Janney earned a Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series nomination for Mom. The two will compete against each other in the Best Guest Performer in a Drama Series category for Sons of Anarchy and Masters of Sex, respectively. Freeman was nominated in the Best Actor in a Movie or Mini-Series category for Fargo as well as Best Supporting Actor in a Movie or Mini-Series for Sherlock: His Last Vow.
View and discuss the complete list of nominations.
Danny McBride, star of the hit HBO comedy series Eastbound & Down, will return to the network in the comedy series Vice Principals. The show is slated for 18 episodes, with the debut date and number of episodes per season to be announced as they are confirmed. Created by Danny McBride and Jody Hill, who were also the creators of Eastbound & Down, Vice Principals tells the story of a high school and the people who almost run it, the vice principals. Concluding its four-season run on HBO in 2013, Eastbound & Down starred McBride as irrepressible former major league pitcher Kenny Powers. Vice Principals is executive produced by Danny McBride, Jody Hill, David Gordon Green and Stephanie Laing, who were also executive producers of Eastbound & Down.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.