Tuesday, April 01, 2014
Antenna TV's Matchup Madness Marathon; Episodic Reviews: The Mindy Project - "French Me, You Idiot" and "Indian BBW" Airing Tonight on Fox
Today the winners of the Antenna TV Matchup Madness (a play on the NCAA Basketball March Madness) will air from 11am-5am. Fans voted for their favorite match-ups for their favorite Antenna TV shows and now we will see the winners. The sitcoms airing will be the same shows that air in their regularly scheduled time periods but we have different episodes from the normal rotation. Did you pick a perfect bracket? Tune in today for these shows: Hazel, McHale's Navy, The Patty Duke Show, Dennis the Menace, Mister Ed, Green Acres, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Good Times, Diff'rent Strokes, Sanford & Son, All in the Family, Maude, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Burns and Allen Show and The Jack Benny Program. And since I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched air for two-hours each, you'll get four episodes each! Among the winners are Sammy Davis Jr. on All in the Family, Muhammad Ali on Diff'rent Strokes, and the classic "Black Jesus" episode of Good Times. Dyno-mite! Antenna TV launched on January 1, 2011 and is available as a digital multicast channel on 84 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 70% of TV households, including WPIX-TV (11.2) New York, KTLA-TV (5.2) Los Angeles, and WGN-TV (9.2) Chicago. And don't forget, Three’s Company and Too Close for Comfort Join Antenna TV's schedule beginning next week - Monday, April 7!
On the next...The Mindy Project:
It has been over two months since we last saw a new episode of The Mindy Project, but tonight, the series returns from the extended hiatus with two new episodes: "French Me, You Idiot" (airing at 9:00PM ET/PT) and "Indian BBW" (airing at 9:30 PM ET/PT) When we last saw Mindy, she was on a mission to get Cliff (Glenn Howerton) back into her life, when plans are interrupted with a cliffhanger of a kiss between Mindy and Danny... a cliffhanger that could have a real impact on the series.
In the first episode, "French Me, You Idiot," Mindy is forced to deal with the aftermath of the kiss, which may possibly include leaving Cliff and beginning a relationship with Danny. Everything seems to be heading into that direction without a flaw until tragedy hits Cliff's life, with the death of his grandmother. The death complicates Mindy's plans to the point that she is forced to be there to comfort him, even forced to attend her funeral (along with Danny). Unfortunately, the funeral turns out to be somewhat of a disaster, so much of one that it requires assistance from the fire department.
It's hard to know at this point what the consequences of this episode will be at this point, but part of me enjoys seeing the fact that Mindy could perhaps be settling down with somebody, rather than continuing to play the somewhat tiring dating game. But I don't think we can end that story just yet. The episode itself wasn't particularly great, as it seemed to focus on this one story (with no major subplot) and while there were a few funny moments, it really seemed to drag on without much going on. C+
In "Indian BBW," Mindy begins to get a little more serious with Danny, and is determined to "take it slow," which of course, is not exactly a common trait of Mindy's. That is particularly obvious when Peter discovers a video sex tape (courtesy of her ex-boyfriend Tom, played by Bill Hader) on the internet where she wasn't taking it slow at all. Now Mindy is on a quest to get the video removed from the porn website that has posted it, but that proves to be a challenge as she appears in one of their few "Indian big beautiful women" videos, a type of video in high demand on their website. But getting the video off of the internet is the least of her worries when she has to consider the possibility that it could be seen by the wrong person.
I found this episode to not only be a rather enjoyable episode, but one of the stronger episodes of the series that I've seen in quite a while. The episode stayed focused on the one main plot, but the plot was full enough to fill the entire episode without being too thin. There were plenty of solid moments in the episode, and I think in a sense, some fans are sort of rooting for a relationship between Mindy and Danny. The plot of the episode was a little more absurd than usual, and at times it felt like an episode of 30 Rock, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm hopeful that we'll see more of these episodes that get into a plot that brings us a little more comedy that isn't centered solely on who Mindy is dating in a given episode. A
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.