Tuesday, April 01, 2014
Antenna TV's Matchup Madness Marathon; Episodic Reviews: The Mindy Project - "French Me, You Idiot" and "Indian BBW" Airing Tonight on Fox
Today the winners of the Antenna TV Matchup Madness (a play on the NCAA Basketball March Madness) will air from 11am-5am. Fans voted for their favorite match-ups for their favorite Antenna TV shows and now we will see the winners. The sitcoms airing will be the same shows that air in their regularly scheduled time periods but we have different episodes from the normal rotation. Did you pick a perfect bracket? Tune in today for these shows: Hazel, McHale's Navy, The Patty Duke Show, Dennis the Menace, Mister Ed, Green Acres, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Good Times, Diff'rent Strokes, Sanford & Son, All in the Family, Maude, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Burns and Allen Show and The Jack Benny Program. And since I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched air for two-hours each, you'll get four episodes each! Among the winners are Sammy Davis Jr. on All in the Family, Muhammad Ali on Diff'rent Strokes, and the classic "Black Jesus" episode of Good Times. Dyno-mite! Antenna TV launched on January 1, 2011 and is available as a digital multicast channel on 84 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 70% of TV households, including WPIX-TV (11.2) New York, KTLA-TV (5.2) Los Angeles, and WGN-TV (9.2) Chicago. And don't forget, Three’s Company and Too Close for Comfort Join Antenna TV's schedule beginning next week - Monday, April 7!
On the next...The Mindy Project:
It has been over two months since we last saw a new episode of The Mindy Project, but tonight, the series returns from the extended hiatus with two new episodes: "French Me, You Idiot" (airing at 9:00PM ET/PT) and "Indian BBW" (airing at 9:30 PM ET/PT) When we last saw Mindy, she was on a mission to get Cliff (Glenn Howerton) back into her life, when plans are interrupted with a cliffhanger of a kiss between Mindy and Danny... a cliffhanger that could have a real impact on the series.
In the first episode, "French Me, You Idiot," Mindy is forced to deal with the aftermath of the kiss, which may possibly include leaving Cliff and beginning a relationship with Danny. Everything seems to be heading into that direction without a flaw until tragedy hits Cliff's life, with the death of his grandmother. The death complicates Mindy's plans to the point that she is forced to be there to comfort him, even forced to attend her funeral (along with Danny). Unfortunately, the funeral turns out to be somewhat of a disaster, so much of one that it requires assistance from the fire department.
It's hard to know at this point what the consequences of this episode will be at this point, but part of me enjoys seeing the fact that Mindy could perhaps be settling down with somebody, rather than continuing to play the somewhat tiring dating game. But I don't think we can end that story just yet. The episode itself wasn't particularly great, as it seemed to focus on this one story (with no major subplot) and while there were a few funny moments, it really seemed to drag on without much going on. C+
In "Indian BBW," Mindy begins to get a little more serious with Danny, and is determined to "take it slow," which of course, is not exactly a common trait of Mindy's. That is particularly obvious when Peter discovers a video sex tape (courtesy of her ex-boyfriend Tom, played by Bill Hader) on the internet where she wasn't taking it slow at all. Now Mindy is on a quest to get the video removed from the porn website that has posted it, but that proves to be a challenge as she appears in one of their few "Indian big beautiful women" videos, a type of video in high demand on their website. But getting the video off of the internet is the least of her worries when she has to consider the possibility that it could be seen by the wrong person.
I found this episode to not only be a rather enjoyable episode, but one of the stronger episodes of the series that I've seen in quite a while. The episode stayed focused on the one main plot, but the plot was full enough to fill the entire episode without being too thin. There were plenty of solid moments in the episode, and I think in a sense, some fans are sort of rooting for a relationship between Mindy and Danny. The plot of the episode was a little more absurd than usual, and at times it felt like an episode of 30 Rock, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm hopeful that we'll see more of these episodes that get into a plot that brings us a little more comedy that isn't centered solely on who Mindy is dating in a given episode. A
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.