Thursday, April 25, 2013
Friends Coming to TV Land in June With 5-Night Marathon Event; Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Human Anatomy" Airing Tonight on NBC
On the next...Community:
NBC's Thursday night comedy that stars Joel McHale airs Thursdays at 8|7c and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (April 25). In the episode airing tonight, "Basic Human Anatomy," when Annie (Alison Brie) and Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) learn that Leonard (Richard Erdman) is actually holding the spot as the class valedictorian, they join forces to bring him down. Meanwhile, Troy (Donald Glover) and Abed (Danny Pudi) reminisce about one of their favorite body switching films and when they inadvertently re-enact a critical scene, things start becoming a little funky at Greendale.
Watching Community has been kind of hard this season. Not because it's been bad - it's felt slightly off at times, but remains a very enjoyable show - but because, after the firing of creator Dan Harmon, it's hard to objectively look at an episode and not wonder how Dan Harmon would've done it. No matter how talented the cast and remaining writers are, Harmon had such a distinct vision for the show that there was no way the show could've matched what it was under his control. That's why Community tends to be most enjoyable these days when it's not trying any big concepts and is just letting you hang out with the characters - you don't have to worry if the concept could've been better under Harmon, you just get the spend some time with a bunch of characters that are still among the best on television.
Having said all of that, tonight's Community - which, notably, was written by Jim Rash, who plays Dean Pelton - is one of the better ones of its current season, and it's one that many would consider a "concept" episode, paying tribute to the movie Freaky Friday. (Though, considering this is a show that turned its entire cast into Muppets two weeks ago, it's not all that big of a concept for Community standards). And yet, it isn't the concept that makes it such a strong episode - it's the small, intimate character moments make is such a stand-out. One of the things that Community has moved away from a bit without Harmon is its darker, emotional side - the side that wasn't afraid to take its characters out to a bar and put all of their serious flaws on display, or to give one of its characters a mental breakdown in its Christmas episode. This episode doesn't go quite that deep, but the emotion here feels more real than it's been in most of this season. Additionally, this episode just feels more comfortable than most of the season has - it doesn't feel like it's trying far too hard to re-create the Harmon years, which makes everything flow a bit more naturally. There's still some issues here and there - the Dean plot felt a bit over-the-top (a little ironic, considering he wrote the episode), the dialogue still feels a little stilted, and the show still isn't quite as funny as it was in years past. But other than that, this episode was really enjoyable to watch - and most importantly, it didn't make me stop and wonder if Dan Harmon could've done it better. B+
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/03 - Mad About You - The Complete Series
05/03 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season One
05/10 - Newhart - The Complete Fifth Season
05/17 - Angie Tribeca - The Complete First Season
05/17 - The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season
05/24 - The Wonder Years - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 31
Fresh Off the Boat - "Tight Two" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Louis prides himself on being a fun dad, but after he has an accident and is forced to stay home with the boys, he scrambles to find ways to entertain the kids. And while Louis is stuck at home, Jessica struggles to manage the staff and the new takeout service at Cattleman’s Ranch.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Phillip Goldstein" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eddie tries to befriend the only other Chinese kid in school (guest star Albert Tsai, “Trophy Wife”), but he’s in for a letdown after he finds out that they have nothing in common; Louis feels betrayed when Mitch (Paul Scheer) accepts a job at the rival Golden Saddle.
Tuesday, May 31
- Megan Fox (Hope & Faith) - Catch Megan on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) - Melissa is a guest on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Morris Chestnut (Out All Night) - Morris appears on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rob Corddry (Ballers/The Winner) - Rob appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Paul F. Tompkins (DAG) - Paul is a guest on a repeat of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Rob Lowe (The Grinder/Parks and Recreation) - Rob appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya talks about Maya and Marty on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin talks about Maya and Marty on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- David Schwimmer (Friends) - David will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Michael Urie (Partners) - Michael discusses hosting the 61st Drama Desk Awards on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Ashley Tisdale (Clipped/The Suite Life of Zack & Cody) - Ashley discusses her first ever beauty line Illuminate by Ashley Tisdale on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose) - Jenna and her husband Bodhi discuss their hit podcast Kicking and Screaming on the the AOL Build Show at 5pm.
- Kenan Thompson (Kenan & Kel) - Kenan talks about Maya and Marty on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Laura Marano (Austin & Ally/Back to You) - Laura appears on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.