Thursday, April 25, 2013
Friends Coming to TV Land in June With 5-Night Marathon Event; Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Human Anatomy" Airing Tonight on NBC
On the next...Community:
NBC's Thursday night comedy that stars Joel McHale airs Thursdays at 8|7c and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (April 25). In the episode airing tonight, "Basic Human Anatomy," when Annie (Alison Brie) and Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) learn that Leonard (Richard Erdman) is actually holding the spot as the class valedictorian, they join forces to bring him down. Meanwhile, Troy (Donald Glover) and Abed (Danny Pudi) reminisce about one of their favorite body switching films and when they inadvertently re-enact a critical scene, things start becoming a little funky at Greendale.
Watching Community has been kind of hard this season. Not because it's been bad - it's felt slightly off at times, but remains a very enjoyable show - but because, after the firing of creator Dan Harmon, it's hard to objectively look at an episode and not wonder how Dan Harmon would've done it. No matter how talented the cast and remaining writers are, Harmon had such a distinct vision for the show that there was no way the show could've matched what it was under his control. That's why Community tends to be most enjoyable these days when it's not trying any big concepts and is just letting you hang out with the characters - you don't have to worry if the concept could've been better under Harmon, you just get the spend some time with a bunch of characters that are still among the best on television.
Having said all of that, tonight's Community - which, notably, was written by Jim Rash, who plays Dean Pelton - is one of the better ones of its current season, and it's one that many would consider a "concept" episode, paying tribute to the movie Freaky Friday. (Though, considering this is a show that turned its entire cast into Muppets two weeks ago, it's not all that big of a concept for Community standards). And yet, it isn't the concept that makes it such a strong episode - it's the small, intimate character moments make is such a stand-out. One of the things that Community has moved away from a bit without Harmon is its darker, emotional side - the side that wasn't afraid to take its characters out to a bar and put all of their serious flaws on display, or to give one of its characters a mental breakdown in its Christmas episode. This episode doesn't go quite that deep, but the emotion here feels more real than it's been in most of this season. Additionally, this episode just feels more comfortable than most of the season has - it doesn't feel like it's trying far too hard to re-create the Harmon years, which makes everything flow a bit more naturally. There's still some issues here and there - the Dean plot felt a bit over-the-top (a little ironic, considering he wrote the episode), the dialogue still feels a little stilted, and the show still isn't quite as funny as it was in years past. But other than that, this episode was really enjoyable to watch - and most importantly, it didn't make me stop and wonder if Dan Harmon could've done it better. B+
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August)
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/20 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 5th Season
07/26 - Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
08/02 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
08/09 - Maude - The Complete Final (Sixth) Season
08/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Three
08/23 - Superstore - Season One
08/23 - The Wonder Years - Complete Series (New Slipcase Version)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, August 24
The Goldbergs - "The Dirty Dancing Dance" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Beverly helps Erica plan a “Dirty Dancing” themed dance at school, only to turn on Erica when she realizes it may be inappropriate. Meanwhile, Murray tries to learn dancing with Adam with little luck.
The Goldbergs - "12 Tapes for a Penny" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Adam learns about a mail-order music club and sets up a scheme to get as many tapes as possible, but Beverly believes Erica is behind it all. Meanwhile, Barry works on getting the approval of Bill, Lainey’s father, but he refuses to budge.
The Goldbergs - "Big Orange" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Barry’s favorite shirt is hated by Beverly and girlfriend Lainey, so they hatch a plan together to destroy it. Once his shirt goes missing, Barry asks Adam and Erica to investigate. Meanwhile, Murray decides to tear down the family tree house, leaving Adam distraught.
The Goldbergs - "Dungeons and Dragons, Anyone?" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Adam convinces Coach Mellor to let him be team captain in gym class. He betrays his friends by picking the jocks first, causing the two rivaling squads to battle it out with the game the nerds know best – Dungeons and Dragons! Meanwhile, Erica decides where she wants to go to college but encounters resistance from both Beverly and Murray.
Modern Family - "Express Yourself" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Phil has the crazy idea of going on a spontaneous trip to Paris with Claire; the only problem is that they are both so ridiculously tired but try to push through it. Meanwhile, Jay has taken over their bathroom remodel, which proves to be pretty hazardous for Gloria, Manny and Joe. Cameron’s sister Pam is staying at the house after her husband has left her, but her emotional outbursts are driving Mitchell crazy, and he’s afraid it’s setting a bad example for Lily. And Haley and Andy go on a wild night bender.
black-ish - "Hope" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When the kids ask some tough questions in the midst of a highly publicized court case involving alleged police brutality and an African-American teenager, Dre and Bow are conflicted on how best to field them. Dre, along with Pops and Ruby, feel the kids need to know what kind of world they’re living in, while Bow would like to give them a more hopeful view about life. When the verdict is announced, the family handles the news in different ways while watching the community react.
Bunk'd - "Dance in My Pants" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Tiffany and Zuri are hoping they'll dance with a cute boy at the annual dance; Emma finds out that Lou and Xander have a history.
Wednesday, August 24
- John Krasinski (The Office) - Watch John on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Adam Pally (The Mindy Project/Happy Endings) - Adam appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Marc Maron (Maron) - Maron appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Tori is a guest on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry guest co-hosts a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika is a guest on Popcorn with Peter Travers on ABC News.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril appears on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local lisitngs.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary teams with Michael Symon to make a Chicken Parmesan Hero on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Tia Mowry (Instant Mom/The Game/Sister, Sister) - Tia will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings/Marry Me) - Casey talks about One Mississippi on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Sabrina Carpenter (Girl Meets World) - Sabrina dishes on the fate of Girl Meets World Season 4 and the big wedding scene on People Now at 8:30am.
- John Krasinski (The Office), Charlie Day (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and Margo Martindale (The Millers) - The cast of The Hollars will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Joey Bragg (Liv and Maddie) - Joey is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.