Thursday, April 25, 2013
Friends Coming to TV Land in June With 5-Night Marathon Event; Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Human Anatomy" Airing Tonight on NBC
On the next...Community:
NBC's Thursday night comedy that stars Joel McHale airs Thursdays at 8|7c and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (April 25). In the episode airing tonight, "Basic Human Anatomy," when Annie (Alison Brie) and Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) learn that Leonard (Richard Erdman) is actually holding the spot as the class valedictorian, they join forces to bring him down. Meanwhile, Troy (Donald Glover) and Abed (Danny Pudi) reminisce about one of their favorite body switching films and when they inadvertently re-enact a critical scene, things start becoming a little funky at Greendale.
Watching Community has been kind of hard this season. Not because it's been bad - it's felt slightly off at times, but remains a very enjoyable show - but because, after the firing of creator Dan Harmon, it's hard to objectively look at an episode and not wonder how Dan Harmon would've done it. No matter how talented the cast and remaining writers are, Harmon had such a distinct vision for the show that there was no way the show could've matched what it was under his control. That's why Community tends to be most enjoyable these days when it's not trying any big concepts and is just letting you hang out with the characters - you don't have to worry if the concept could've been better under Harmon, you just get the spend some time with a bunch of characters that are still among the best on television.
Having said all of that, tonight's Community - which, notably, was written by Jim Rash, who plays Dean Pelton - is one of the better ones of its current season, and it's one that many would consider a "concept" episode, paying tribute to the movie Freaky Friday. (Though, considering this is a show that turned its entire cast into Muppets two weeks ago, it's not all that big of a concept for Community standards). And yet, it isn't the concept that makes it such a strong episode - it's the small, intimate character moments make is such a stand-out. One of the things that Community has moved away from a bit without Harmon is its darker, emotional side - the side that wasn't afraid to take its characters out to a bar and put all of their serious flaws on display, or to give one of its characters a mental breakdown in its Christmas episode. This episode doesn't go quite that deep, but the emotion here feels more real than it's been in most of this season. Additionally, this episode just feels more comfortable than most of the season has - it doesn't feel like it's trying far too hard to re-create the Harmon years, which makes everything flow a bit more naturally. There's still some issues here and there - the Dean plot felt a bit over-the-top (a little ironic, considering he wrote the episode), the dialogue still feels a little stilted, and the show still isn't quite as funny as it was in years past. But other than that, this episode was really enjoyable to watch - and most importantly, it didn't make me stop and wonder if Dan Harmon could've done it better. B+
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, June 30
The Big Bang Theory - "The Application Deterioration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Leonard, Sheldon, and Wolowitz run into problems when they file for a patent for their infinite persistence gyroscope. Also, Penny, Amy and Bernadette give Koothrappali dating advice when Emily reaches out to him after their breakup.
Life in Pieces - "Bite Flight Wing-Man Bonnie" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Heather and Tim finally find another couple they actually like to socialize with, but Sophia and their son don’t hit it off. Also, Greg insists he and Jen take separate flights in case something happens to the plane, Matt and John take Gary (Martin Mull) out to meet women, and Matt’s ex-wife, Bonnie (Brenda Song), surprises him with a visit. NFL Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk guest stars as himself. Academy Award winner Helen Hunt directed the episode.
Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll - "All That Glitters Is Gold" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
The sudden death of an old friend forces the band to question where they're at and where they're going.
Thursday, June 30
- Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/The Office) - Catch Ellie on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show) - Cedric appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Rebel Wilson (Super Fun Night) - Rebel is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- David Schwimmer (Friends) - David appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) and Adam Goldberg (The Jim Gaffigan Show) - Jim and Adam are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Jim will also be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Adam Devine (Workaholics/Modern Family) - Adam and Zac Efron are guests on Conan at 11pm on TBS. Adam will also be on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Nick Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Nick appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar (The Crazy Ones) - Sarah shares two of her favorite dessert recipes you can make with your kids on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Sayeed Shahidi (Uncle Buck/The First Family) - Sayeed is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Mario Cantone (Sex and the City) - Mario is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Denis Leary (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/The Job) and Elizabeth Gillies (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/Victorious) - Denis and Leary talk about Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll on the AOL Build Show at 1pm. Denis will also beon CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Donald Faison (The Exes/Scrubs) - Donald guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Nia Long (Uncle Buck/The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Nia is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101) - Jamie is a guest on People Now at 8:30am.
- Jane Krakowski (Undateable Kimmy Schmidt/30 Rock) - Jane appears on People Now at 8:30am.