Thursday, April 25, 2013
Friends Coming to TV Land in June With 5-Night Marathon Event; Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Human Anatomy" Airing Tonight on NBC
On the next...Community:
NBC's Thursday night comedy that stars Joel McHale airs Thursdays at 8|7c and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (April 25). In the episode airing tonight, "Basic Human Anatomy," when Annie (Alison Brie) and Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) learn that Leonard (Richard Erdman) is actually holding the spot as the class valedictorian, they join forces to bring him down. Meanwhile, Troy (Donald Glover) and Abed (Danny Pudi) reminisce about one of their favorite body switching films and when they inadvertently re-enact a critical scene, things start becoming a little funky at Greendale.
Watching Community has been kind of hard this season. Not because it's been bad - it's felt slightly off at times, but remains a very enjoyable show - but because, after the firing of creator Dan Harmon, it's hard to objectively look at an episode and not wonder how Dan Harmon would've done it. No matter how talented the cast and remaining writers are, Harmon had such a distinct vision for the show that there was no way the show could've matched what it was under his control. That's why Community tends to be most enjoyable these days when it's not trying any big concepts and is just letting you hang out with the characters - you don't have to worry if the concept could've been better under Harmon, you just get the spend some time with a bunch of characters that are still among the best on television.
Having said all of that, tonight's Community - which, notably, was written by Jim Rash, who plays Dean Pelton - is one of the better ones of its current season, and it's one that many would consider a "concept" episode, paying tribute to the movie Freaky Friday. (Though, considering this is a show that turned its entire cast into Muppets two weeks ago, it's not all that big of a concept for Community standards). And yet, it isn't the concept that makes it such a strong episode - it's the small, intimate character moments make is such a stand-out. One of the things that Community has moved away from a bit without Harmon is its darker, emotional side - the side that wasn't afraid to take its characters out to a bar and put all of their serious flaws on display, or to give one of its characters a mental breakdown in its Christmas episode. This episode doesn't go quite that deep, but the emotion here feels more real than it's been in most of this season. Additionally, this episode just feels more comfortable than most of the season has - it doesn't feel like it's trying far too hard to re-create the Harmon years, which makes everything flow a bit more naturally. There's still some issues here and there - the Dean plot felt a bit over-the-top (a little ironic, considering he wrote the episode), the dialogue still feels a little stilted, and the show still isn't quite as funny as it was in years past. But other than that, this episode was really enjoyable to watch - and most importantly, it didn't make me stop and wonder if Dan Harmon could've done it better. B+
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, September 17
The Middle - "The Wonderful World of Hecks" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
The ultimate prank battle is on between brother and sister when Sue discovers that Axl stole the high school's Thundering Hens mascot head over a year ago, forcing Sue to wear an embarrassing chicken head in her role as the school mascot. Meanwhile, a friendless Dr. Goodwin tries to make friends with a reluctant Frankie and invites her to accompany him to after-work social gatherings, Frankie agrees to attempt to find her dog Colin Firth's owner if Mike tries - and fails - to make friends with him; and Brick tries to muster some interest in a recommended book on Debbie Reynolds.
The Goldbergs - "Livin' on a Prayer" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Murray learns his high school free throw record has been broken, he begrudgingly attends a banquet as the guest of honor. Reliving his glory years, his school spirit is re-energized until he is mocked by the crowd. Elsewhere at home, Barry decides to throw a party where he quickly loses the spotlight and it is up to Erica’s friend Lainey to help him get it back.
Modern Family - "The Wedding, Part 1" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Wedding planner extraordinaire Pepper Saltzman (guest star Nathan Lane) and assistant Ronaldo are busy coordinating Mitch and Cam's big day and wondering why that "boozy huss-hag" Sal (guest star Elizabeth Banks) is officiating. When a wildfire near the wedding site forces Pepper to push up the ceremony by four hours, Mitch, Cam and Lily are left scrambling to retrieve Cam's tux from the dry cleaners, which happens to be closed.
Modern Family - "The Wedding, Part 2" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
The wedding day chaos continues as the entire party shifts from one contingency plan to another. Guests start to get testy, Mitchell and Cameron are feeling discouraged and poor Claire shows physical wear and tear, but an unexpected turn of events leads to the ceremony that everyone has been waiting for.
The League - "The Height Supremacist" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Andre gets punished by the rest of the League, Jenny picks her team based on height, Ellie invites Darren Sproles to a dance, Pete needs the help of TacoCorp.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Too Much Sex" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus accidentally takes canine fertility pills; Angela can only handle so much sex.
Wednesday, September 17
- Ty Burrell (Modern Family/Back to You/Out of Practice) - Watch Ty on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. He will also be on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Cera (Arrested Development) - Michal appears on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Paul Reiser (Mad About You) - Paul is a guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Aimee Garcia (George Lopez/Greetings from Tucson) - Aimee visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tina Fey (30 Rock) - Tina stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Adam Pally (The Mindy Project/Happy Endings) - Adam appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about The Mindy Project on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about Celebrity Name Game on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Tamera Mowery-Housley (Sister/Roommates) - Tamera and the ladies of The Real are guests on 106 & Park on BET at 6pm.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra talks about The Mysteries of Laura on NBC's Today between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Dawn Wells (Gilligan's Island) - Dawn discusses her new book (What Would Mary Ann Do? A Guide to Life) on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Cybill Shepherd (Cybill) - Cybill discusses her latest project on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.