Friday, April 12, 2013
Episodic Review: Happy Endings - "She Got Game Night" and "The Storm Before the Calm" Airing Tonight on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 15, 2013)
On the next...Happy Endings:
ABC's Friday night comedy starring an ensemble cast including Elisha Cuthbert airs Friday nights at 8:00pm & 8:30pm and we have just watched the two episodes that air tonight (April 12). In the first episode airing tonight, "She Got Game Night," Brad (Damon Wayans, Jr.) and Jane (Eliza Coupe) host a couples game night with Penny (Casey Rose Wilson), Pete (guest star Nick Zano), Max (Adam Pally) and Scotty (guest star Seth Morris) and the competitiveness gets a little out of hand, prompting Penny to make an unexpected move. Meanwhile Dave (Zachary Knighton) has a big decision to make on the career front, and Alex (Elisha Cuthbert) tries to help but they end up at a psychic instead. In the second episode tonight, "The Storm Before the Calm," Penny insists that she's fine after her breakup with Pete, but the gang begin to wonder when she writes a play entitled "Black Plague: A Love Story" and asks Derrick (guest star Stephen Guarino) and his theater group to stage it. They brace for "drama" in more ways than one. Meanwhile a marketing group asks Alex and Max to be tastemakers, but is it a scam?
Sup, suckas. The first airing tonight is classic (say classic how they say it on the show) Happy Endings. It's a lot of fun, has laughs, some touching moments and a shocker. Each character does what we usually expect from each one and that's a good thing because all of them are unique and so cool. It's what we expect each episode and that's what makes this show so fun. The centerpiece of the episode is a couples game night that Brad & Jane host and only couples are invited. Newly engaged coupled Penny and Pete are in, while Max wants in as well and he does what Max would usually do, find a random person...classic Max. Dave and Alex are also on the way to the game night but they get distracted at a tarot reader place because Dave, as usual, can't make a decision on whether keeping his food truck or going into the actual restaurant business. The smarter than she is given credit for Alex, helps him more than the psychic. The game night is so fun and works well and the couple to beat, Brad & Jane, bring in most of the laughs. Max and random guy Scotty aren't bad either, while Penny and her fiance Pete make such a cute couple, suh kewt! But what will happen at game night that might make their relationship go south? "Oh buoy." You'll have to tune in tonight, so don't give me that Alex blank face.
In the very next episode, we continue where we left off in the Penny and Pete storyline. But don't expect an emotional episode or anything because it still brings the funny. Penny deals with the aftermath her own way...by writing a play. The main character in the play is Clete. Now who does that rhyme with? Is she dealing with what happened in her own way? The other storyline is a guerrilla marketing group recruiting Alex and Max at Rosalita's (the bar). These two work well with each other like usual. It's a hilarious storyline because I think Alex and Max actually know they're getting scammed. And Jane wants in. Elisa Cuthbert (Alex) has the best facial expressions I have ever seen on television (see image). Suh kewt! So many cool references are made in this episode, like the show usually does. 3rd Rock from the Sun, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Aziz Ansari, Taye Diggs, Practice Practice, Becker, etc. The main draw of the episode is the play, of course, but I think the Alex, Max and Jane storyline steals the episode. It's another good episode, maybe not as good as the previous one, but very solid. Let's hope we get to have more of this show after this season. Happy Endings is one of the best comedies on TV and it needs to continue. Ir's smart, funny, and easy to like. Each character is ah-mazing. #SaveHappyEndings. First episode: B+, Second episode: B
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of April 15-19, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, April 15, 2013
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Watch Steve on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Bob Saget (How I Met Your Mother/Full House) - Bob is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Rob Lowe (Parks and Recreation) - Rob visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hilary Duff (Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. and Dancing with the Stars partner Cheryl Burke are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Cheryl Hines (Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl gives a sneak peek at the season finale of ABC's hit show, Suburgatory and reveals if Curb Your Enthusiasm will ever return to HBO on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations. The show repeats on Friday.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Brooke guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Selma Blair (Anger Management) - Catch Selma on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie) - Peter guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Andy Dick (Less Than Perfect/NewsRadio) - Andy opens up about how his drinking affected his family and his current sobriety on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon appears on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette is a guest on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Watch Selena on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Breckin Meyer (Married to the Kellys/Inside Schwartz) - Breckin drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve appears on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew brings classic games on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Brad Garrett (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)/'Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad stops by LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings. He will also be on Joy Behar: Say Anything! at 9pm on Current.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris), David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules) and Kevin James (The King of Queens) - The cast of Grown Ups 2 are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Tune in to see Sofia on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Nick on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Seinfeld) - Julia is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Jennifer Anison (Friends) - Jennifer appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kym Whitley (Sparks/My Brother and Me) - Kym visits The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Sofia drops by The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Fischer (The Office) - Jenna talks about motherhood on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon guest co-hosts a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Brad Garrett (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)/'Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Catch Melissa on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily appears on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Angela Kinsey (The Office) - Angela is a guest on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Elizabeth Perkins (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)) - Tune in to see Elizabeth on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. guest co-hosts a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.