Friday, April 12, 2013
Episodic Review: Happy Endings - "She Got Game Night" and "The Storm Before the Calm" Airing Tonight on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 15, 2013)
On the next...Happy Endings:
ABC's Friday night comedy starring an ensemble cast including Elisha Cuthbert airs Friday nights at 8:00pm & 8:30pm and we have just watched the two episodes that air tonight (April 12). In the first episode airing tonight, "She Got Game Night," Brad (Damon Wayans, Jr.) and Jane (Eliza Coupe) host a couples game night with Penny (Casey Rose Wilson), Pete (guest star Nick Zano), Max (Adam Pally) and Scotty (guest star Seth Morris) and the competitiveness gets a little out of hand, prompting Penny to make an unexpected move. Meanwhile Dave (Zachary Knighton) has a big decision to make on the career front, and Alex (Elisha Cuthbert) tries to help but they end up at a psychic instead. In the second episode tonight, "The Storm Before the Calm," Penny insists that she's fine after her breakup with Pete, but the gang begin to wonder when she writes a play entitled "Black Plague: A Love Story" and asks Derrick (guest star Stephen Guarino) and his theater group to stage it. They brace for "drama" in more ways than one. Meanwhile a marketing group asks Alex and Max to be tastemakers, but is it a scam?
Sup, suckas. The first airing tonight is classic (say classic how they say it on the show) Happy Endings. It's a lot of fun, has laughs, some touching moments and a shocker. Each character does what we usually expect from each one and that's a good thing because all of them are unique and so cool. It's what we expect each episode and that's what makes this show so fun. The centerpiece of the episode is a couples game night that Brad & Jane host and only couples are invited. Newly engaged coupled Penny and Pete are in, while Max wants in as well and he does what Max would usually do, find a random person...classic Max. Dave and Alex are also on the way to the game night but they get distracted at a tarot reader place because Dave, as usual, can't make a decision on whether keeping his food truck or going into the actual restaurant business. The smarter than she is given credit for Alex, helps him more than the psychic. The game night is so fun and works well and the couple to beat, Brad & Jane, bring in most of the laughs. Max and random guy Scotty aren't bad either, while Penny and her fiance Pete make such a cute couple, suh kewt! But what will happen at game night that might make their relationship go south? "Oh buoy." You'll have to tune in tonight, so don't give me that Alex blank face.
In the very next episode, we continue where we left off in the Penny and Pete storyline. But don't expect an emotional episode or anything because it still brings the funny. Penny deals with the aftermath her own way...by writing a play. The main character in the play is Clete. Now who does that rhyme with? Is she dealing with what happened in her own way? The other storyline is a guerrilla marketing group recruiting Alex and Max at Rosalita's (the bar). These two work well with each other like usual. It's a hilarious storyline because I think Alex and Max actually know they're getting scammed. And Jane wants in. Elisa Cuthbert (Alex) has the best facial expressions I have ever seen on television (see image). Suh kewt! So many cool references are made in this episode, like the show usually does. 3rd Rock from the Sun, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Aziz Ansari, Taye Diggs, Practice Practice, Becker, etc. The main draw of the episode is the play, of course, but I think the Alex, Max and Jane storyline steals the episode. It's another good episode, maybe not as good as the previous one, but very solid. Let's hope we get to have more of this show after this season. Happy Endings is one of the best comedies on TV and it needs to continue. Ir's smart, funny, and easy to like. Each character is ah-mazing. #SaveHappyEndings. First episode: B+, Second episode: B
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of April 15-19, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, April 15, 2013
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Watch Steve on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Bob Saget (How I Met Your Mother/Full House) - Bob is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Rob Lowe (Parks and Recreation) - Rob visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hilary Duff (Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. and Dancing with the Stars partner Cheryl Burke are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Cheryl Hines (Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl gives a sneak peek at the season finale of ABC's hit show, Suburgatory and reveals if Curb Your Enthusiasm will ever return to HBO on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations. The show repeats on Friday.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Brooke guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Selma Blair (Anger Management) - Catch Selma on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie) - Peter guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Andy Dick (Less Than Perfect/NewsRadio) - Andy opens up about how his drinking affected his family and his current sobriety on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon appears on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette is a guest on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Watch Selena on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Breckin Meyer (Married to the Kellys/Inside Schwartz) - Breckin drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve appears on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew brings classic games on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Brad Garrett (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)/'Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad stops by LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings. He will also be on Joy Behar: Say Anything! at 9pm on Current.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris), David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules) and Kevin James (The King of Queens) - The cast of Grown Ups 2 are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Tune in to see Sofia on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Nick on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Seinfeld) - Julia is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Jennifer Anison (Friends) - Jennifer appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kym Whitley (Sparks/My Brother and Me) - Kym visits The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Sofia drops by The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Fischer (The Office) - Jenna talks about motherhood on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon guest co-hosts a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Brad Garrett (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)/'Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Catch Melissa on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily appears on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Angela Kinsey (The Office) - Angela is a guest on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Elizabeth Perkins (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)) - Tune in to see Elizabeth on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. guest co-hosts a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, May 22
Angie Tribeca - "License to Drill" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Geils lands in trouble when he helps a woman investigate whether her husband is having an affair.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Amnesia" (Freeform, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi attempts to cure Josh's amnesia by re-creating the first time they met.
Baby Daddy - "Daddy's Girl" (Freeform, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Riley is confined to the couch; Ben struggles to answer Emma's questions about her mother.
Monday, May 22
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Bloodline on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Seaton Smith (Mulaney) - Seaton stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nicole Richie (Great News) - Nicole visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/The Parkers) - Kym guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Tichina Arnold (Survivor's Remorse/Happily Divorced/Everybody Hates Chris/Martin) - Tichina appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Brenda Strong (The Help/Scorch) - Brenda talks about Supergirl on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss joins Clinton Kelly to whip up a delicious delight on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti performs a jazz song from her new album on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine and Lil Rel Howery (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta and Lil are guests on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Ellie Reed (Girlboss) - Ellie talks about Girlboss on the AOL Build Show at 5pm.