Friday, April 12, 2013
Episodic Review: Happy Endings - "She Got Game Night" and "The Storm Before the Calm" Airing Tonight on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 15, 2013)
On the next...Happy Endings:
ABC's Friday night comedy starring an ensemble cast including Elisha Cuthbert airs Friday nights at 8:00pm & 8:30pm and we have just watched the two episodes that air tonight (April 12). In the first episode airing tonight, "She Got Game Night," Brad (Damon Wayans, Jr.) and Jane (Eliza Coupe) host a couples game night with Penny (Casey Rose Wilson), Pete (guest star Nick Zano), Max (Adam Pally) and Scotty (guest star Seth Morris) and the competitiveness gets a little out of hand, prompting Penny to make an unexpected move. Meanwhile Dave (Zachary Knighton) has a big decision to make on the career front, and Alex (Elisha Cuthbert) tries to help but they end up at a psychic instead. In the second episode tonight, "The Storm Before the Calm," Penny insists that she's fine after her breakup with Pete, but the gang begin to wonder when she writes a play entitled "Black Plague: A Love Story" and asks Derrick (guest star Stephen Guarino) and his theater group to stage it. They brace for "drama" in more ways than one. Meanwhile a marketing group asks Alex and Max to be tastemakers, but is it a scam?
Sup, suckas. The first airing tonight is classic (say classic how they say it on the show) Happy Endings. It's a lot of fun, has laughs, some touching moments and a shocker. Each character does what we usually expect from each one and that's a good thing because all of them are unique and so cool. It's what we expect each episode and that's what makes this show so fun. The centerpiece of the episode is a couples game night that Brad & Jane host and only couples are invited. Newly engaged coupled Penny and Pete are in, while Max wants in as well and he does what Max would usually do, find a random person...classic Max. Dave and Alex are also on the way to the game night but they get distracted at a tarot reader place because Dave, as usual, can't make a decision on whether keeping his food truck or going into the actual restaurant business. The smarter than she is given credit for Alex, helps him more than the psychic. The game night is so fun and works well and the couple to beat, Brad & Jane, bring in most of the laughs. Max and random guy Scotty aren't bad either, while Penny and her fiance Pete make such a cute couple, suh kewt! But what will happen at game night that might make their relationship go south? "Oh buoy." You'll have to tune in tonight, so don't give me that Alex blank face.
In the very next episode, we continue where we left off in the Penny and Pete storyline. But don't expect an emotional episode or anything because it still brings the funny. Penny deals with the aftermath her own way...by writing a play. The main character in the play is Clete. Now who does that rhyme with? Is she dealing with what happened in her own way? The other storyline is a guerrilla marketing group recruiting Alex and Max at Rosalita's (the bar). These two work well with each other like usual. It's a hilarious storyline because I think Alex and Max actually know they're getting scammed. And Jane wants in. Elisa Cuthbert (Alex) has the best facial expressions I have ever seen on television (see image). Suh kewt! So many cool references are made in this episode, like the show usually does. 3rd Rock from the Sun, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Aziz Ansari, Taye Diggs, Practice Practice, Becker, etc. The main draw of the episode is the play, of course, but I think the Alex, Max and Jane storyline steals the episode. It's another good episode, maybe not as good as the previous one, but very solid. Let's hope we get to have more of this show after this season. Happy Endings is one of the best comedies on TV and it needs to continue. Ir's smart, funny, and easy to like. Each character is ah-mazing. #SaveHappyEndings. First episode: B+, Second episode: B
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of April 15-19, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, April 15, 2013
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Watch Steve on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Bob Saget (How I Met Your Mother/Full House) - Bob is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Rob Lowe (Parks and Recreation) - Rob visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hilary Duff (Lizzie McGuire) - Hilary stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. and Dancing with the Stars partner Cheryl Burke are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Cheryl Hines (Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl gives a sneak peek at the season finale of ABC's hit show, Suburgatory and reveals if Curb Your Enthusiasm will ever return to HBO on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations. The show repeats on Friday.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Brooke guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Selma Blair (Anger Management) - Catch Selma on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie) - Peter guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Andy Dick (Less Than Perfect/NewsRadio) - Andy opens up about how his drinking affected his family and his current sobriety on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon appears on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette is a guest on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Watch Selena on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Breckin Meyer (Married to the Kellys/Inside Schwartz) - Breckin drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve appears on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew brings classic games on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Brad Garrett (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)/'Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad stops by LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings. He will also be on Joy Behar: Say Anything! at 9pm on Current.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris), David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules) and Kevin James (The King of Queens) - The cast of Grown Ups 2 are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Tune in to see Sofia on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Nick on a repeat of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Seinfeld) - Julia is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Jennifer Anison (Friends) - Jennifer appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Kym Whitley (Sparks/My Brother and Me) - Kym visits The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Sofia drops by The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Fischer (The Office) - Jenna talks about motherhood on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon guest co-hosts a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Brad Garrett (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)/'Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Catch Melissa on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily appears on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Angela Kinsey (The Office) - Angela is a guest on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Elizabeth Perkins (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)) - Tune in to see Elizabeth on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. guest co-hosts a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.