Friday, February 08, 2013
Episodic Review: Bob's Burgers - "My Fuzzy Valentine" Airing Sunday on Fox; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of February 11, 2013)
On the next...Bob's Burgers:
Fox's Sunday Animation Domination comedy with the Belcher family airs Sunday nights at 8:30pm immediately following The Simpsons and we have just watched the next episode that airs this Sunday (Feb. 10). Love is in the air (well, sort of), in an all-new Valentine's Day-themed episode of Bob's Burgers. In the episode airing Sunday, "My Fuzzy Valentine," Bob (H. Jon Benjamin) realizes that giving Linda (John Roberts) a heart-shaped pancake for the most romantic day of the year simply doesn't cut it. To help their well-meaning father, the kids convince him to let them skip school in order to help find a gift that will "wow" their mom. Meanwhile, in the spirit of the romantic holiday, Linda sets up a speed-dating event at the restaurant that doesn't go exactly as planned, thanks to a meddlesome Sergeant Bosco, guest-voiced by Gary Cole (Desperate Housewives, Office Space).
It is a special Valentine's Day for the Belcher Family in this episode, when Bob tries to win over Linda's heart with heart-shaped flapjacks. Of course, Linda is never one to complain, but it is very obvious to the kids (and eventually Bob) that she would probably appreciate a nicer gift. This leads him and the kids on a journey around town to find a "Love Tester" machine that Bob and Linda once used... and also a day for the kids to play hooky. It should be an easy enough task, except that Hugo, the health inspector, is determined to make Bob's day miserable, and prevent him from doing anything that may possibly please Linda. But Linda seems to be pleased enough as it is back at the restaurant, as she is celebrating the holiday by starting her own speed-dating service. It doesn't really seem to matter to her that the service is a disaster, at least not until the police get involved in it. All in all, it is a bit of a hokey holiday themed episode, but it fits the tone of the series. C+
Bob's Burgers is one of those "wonders" of the Fox Sunday night lineup, as it is really not heralded as one of Fox's major series (and in fact, it plays a very low key role), but yet it is currently in the third season with a fourth to come. I really didn't like this series much at all at the beginning, but as I've watched it more, it has started to grow on me. It isn't as fast-paced or vulgar as some of the Seth MacFarlane offerings, so it makes a perfect pair for Fox mainstay The Simpsons, which airs immediately before it.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of February 11-15, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, February 11, 2013
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) - Watch Carl on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- John Goodman (Roseanne) - John visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules) - David is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Ted Danson (Cheers/Becker) - Catch Ted on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Craig Robinson (The Office) - Craig appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Jackée (The First Family/Sister, Sister/227) - Jackée sits down with Marie and discusses her new role in the sitcom, The First Family, on Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm.
- Cheryl Hines (Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl joins co-host Clinton Kelly to make Gulf Shrimp Fritters with Remoulade and a Soda Stinger Inferno cocktail on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Regina King (227) - Regina guest co-hosts Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Watch Allison on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Sarah visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show) - Mila is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Lenny Venito (The Neighbors/The Knights of Prosperity) - Lenny chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. On Potluck Party day, funny man Lenny aides co-host Mario Batali who whips up an out of this world potluck classic on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Fran Drescher (Happily Divorced/The Nanny) - Fran guest co-hosts Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi) - Marilu presents her energy makeover plan on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Catch Jerry on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- George Lopez (George Lopez) - George visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Molly Shannon (Kath & Kim) - Molly appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. Molly also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Sofia stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny is a guest on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Nene guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Helen Hunt (Mad About You) - Helen chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Meredith Baxter (Family Ties/Bridget Loves Bernie) and Michael Gross (Family Ties) - Iconic TV couples, including Meredith and Michael, are reunited on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Helen Hunt (Mad About You) - Watch Helen on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Kathy appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell) - Mario is a guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.