Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Ryan Sypek (Wildfire) and Kate Lang Johnson (Persons Unknown) have been cast in the lead roles of the ABC Family sitcom pilot Phys Ed. The pilot is a half-hour multi-camera comedy about a high school's star jock, Ed (Sypek), who returns to teach at his former alma mater only to find that, even though he's changed, nothing else really has. Johnson will play Janie, a teacher at the school who was ignored by Ed in high school and is now the object of his affections.
The pilot is written and-executive produced by David H. Steinberg (American Pie 2). It is produced by Prodco, Inc. Ryan Sypek is an ABC Family alum, having starred in the network's first original scripted series Wildfire. Now should Phys Ed get picked-up to series, we will let you know...but for now this is just a pilot. This piece of casting follows the casting of a drama pilot, as ABC Family has cast Denise Richards (Two and a Half Men) to star in drama series pilot Socio, as Karen Ryder. Also cast is Kimberly Quinn as Tess. They join the previously announced Avan Jogia as Danny, Maddie Hasson as Jo and Kylie Bunbury as Lacey in the project. The pilot is currently in preproduction. The pilot follows Danny Ryder (Jogia), who has returned to town after serving five years in custody for murdering his aunt when he was 11. Admitting his guilt, but stubbornly refusing to discuss his motive, Danny returns to a hostile reception and a media firestorm. Ostracized by his peers, Danny reconnects with his former best friends Jo (Hasson) and Lacey (Bunbury), who are still struggling to put the past behind them. But when another student is murdered, suspicion falls on Danny and the question remains: Is Danny a serial slayer, a "socio," or is he a victim with a shocking secret?
Richards will portray Karen Ryder, Danny's perfectly coiffed mother who once ruled the town's social scene but who now struggles to put on a brave face with her son returning home under a cloud of scandal and shame. Quinn portrays Jo's mother, Tess, who tries to give Danny the benefit of the doubt and clashes with her husband over his harsh attitude towards the teen.
Fox has ordered a fourth season of 22 all-new episodes of the Emmy-nominated animated comedy Bob's Burgers. The series is currently in its third season, but there are episodes from the second season still airing this season, as only 9 aired last season. So this fourth season cycle order will probably not get to air for another year or two. Bob's Burgers recently was nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program as well as for a 2012 Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Animated Series.
This season, Bob's Burgers also serves up holiday cheer with the series' first-ever Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes. In the upcoming Thanksgiving episode, Bob's eccentric landlord, Mr. Fischoeder (guest voice Kevin Kline), invites the Belchers for an unusual Thanksgiving dinner to impress a former flame. In the Christmas episode, Zach Galifianakis guest-voices as a man who is infatuated with a mannequin, and believes he used to be a mannequin himself. Other guest voices this season include Jon Hamm, Jeffrey Tambor, Aziz Ansari, Bill Hader and Sarah and Laura Silverman. Bob's Burgers follows a third-generation restaurateur as he runs his own burger joint with the help of his wife and their three kids. Bob has big ideas about burgers, condiments and sides, but only a few thoughts on customer service and business management. Despite his greasy counters, lousy location and occasionally spotty service, Bob is convinced his burgers speak for themselves. The animated series features the voice talents of H. Jon Benjamin, John Roberts, Dan Mintz, Eugene Mirman and Kristen Schaal.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.