Friday, May 11, 2012
SitcomsOnline.com 2012-13 Upfront Preview: The CW; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of May 14, 2012)
And we enter our last network upfront preview: The CW. The CW continues to struggle, with only one real hit in Vampire Diaries and even that saw some large declines this season. America's Next Top Model continues to struggle and is no longer a hit. They will need to find some hits badly. They also STILL need to solve the two big breaks within the season when everything is in repeats and the network is out of business it seems.
Here is the SitcomsOnline.com The CW 2012-13 preview:
New Series Already Picked-Up: None.
Already Renewed Returning Series: 90210, America's Next Top Model, Supernatural, and The Vampire Diaries.
Likely Returning Series: Hart of Dixie, Nikita and Gossip Girl.
Likey To Be Canceled or Already Canceled: One Tree Hill, H8R, Ringer, Remodeled, LA Complex and Secret Circle.
Likely New Series: Arrow (drama for fall), Beauty and the Beast (drama for mid-season), The Carrie Diaries (drama for fall), The Selection (drama for fall), Cult (drama for mid-season) and First Cut (mid-season drama).
OUR FALL 2012 PREDICTION:
8:00PM The Selection (NEW!)
9:00PM Hart of Dixie
9:00PM Gossip Girl
8:00PM America's Next Top Model
9:00PM The Carrie Diaries (NEW!)
8:00PM Vampire Diaries
9:00PM Arrow (NEW!)
Comments: The CW had its worst season this past season. Many shows were very low and its hits even suffered in the second half. One of the culprits is the long repeat breaks for each series. And they still don't have any comedies in development for 2012-13, but they are coming in 2013-14, so stay tuned! For now, it's all dramas and Top Model. For Mondays, I would certainly change the night as Gossip Girl has faltered leafing off this night. Probably something like Hunger Games style, like The Selection could hit big. Hart of Dixie is likely returning and will stay put at 9.
For Tuesdays, they will probably lead-off with veteran 90210 at 8 again. However, it looks like the Sarah Michelle Gellar drama Ringer is not returning. Perhaps a short 13 episode order for Gossip Girl can air in this timeslot. And it is finally time to end that show, as it has even fallen under a million viewers recently in its Monday timeslot.
Wednesdays should have America's Next Top Model going back where it belongs, at 8pm. They should get a drama that has some buzz at 9, like the Sex and the City prequel The Carrie Diaries. It has 9pm written all over it and will likely be a self-starter, so it should be placed on Wednesdays at 9.
For Thursday, that is still The CW's biggest night and The Vampire Diaries will continue to lead off the night at 8pm. They should and will likely go with the drama Arrow at 9pm, as that is more male skewing, which is something The CW needs again. The CW is likely canning freshman drama The Secret Circle as it not doing that well with that Vampire lead-in.
And finally on Fridays, they will likely remain as is with Nikita returning for a third season, followed by the veteran series Supernatural. This is a good male skewing night, but Smallville is deeply missed still. Perhaps fans of that show will tune in for Arrow, but that clearly is not going to be a Friday show. Thursdays for sure.
For mid-season, they have more drama options. They should cut repeats out as much as possibly, especially for shows like 90210, Gossip Girl. End those early and start new shows. Beauty and the Beast seems like it can air in the fall, but I think a mid-season birth is better so it can air repeat free. Also, shows like Cult or First Cut can step up to the plate to give some series a rest or an early ending. The only time The CW should be in repeats is December. They can't afford to be in repeats anytime else in the season. I'm not too big of a CW watcher, so not sure what they could do to cut down on repeats besides ordering many new shows, but sound off on our link below.
Discuss your thoughts on our prediction and feel free to make suggestions of your own.
Remember, next Thursday (May 17) is the actual date when we will find out The CW's plans for the 2012-13 season. So, come on back next Thursday and we will let you know the details and you can see how much we were right (or wrong).
And as a reminder, stay tuned starting Sunday evening (through Thursday) for all the final schedules released by all the networks! We will put them up as soon as they are released by the networks, so this will be your home to see them first!
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of May 14-18, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, May 14, 2012
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Watch Kelly on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show) - Mila visits Scotland on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on Monday and Thursday at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rashida Jones (Parks and Recreation/The Office) - Rashida is a guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on Monday at Tuesday at 12:37am on CBS.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Chelsea appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Niecy Nash (The Cleveland Show/Reno 911!) - Niecy guest co-hosts Anderson, so check your local listings.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah drops by ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Lrge) - Catch Wanda on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) - Casey appears on a repeat from last week on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Victoria Justice (Victorious/Zoey 101) - Victoria stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty visits NBC's Today between 7-9am.
- Tia Mowry (The Game/Sister, Sister) - Tia tells us about her book, Oh, Baby!: Pregnancy Tales and Advice from One Hot Mama to Another, on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sherri Shepard (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri weigh in on last night's Dancing with the Stars performances on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Watch Betty on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel is a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Tony Hale (Veep/Arrested Development) - Tony appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Ellen DeGeneres (Ellen) and Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development) - Ellen, Portia and their chef visit Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Angela Kinsey (The Office) - Angela joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jason Mantzoukas (The League) - Watch Jason on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Krysten Ritter (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - The lovely Krysten visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. She will later be on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Garry Marshall (Creator of Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley/Mork & Mindy) - Garry is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, but check listings for time.
- Jaleel White (Family Matters/Grown Ups) - Jaleel guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Suzanne Somers (Three's Company/Step by Step/She's the Sheriff) - Suzanne chats on Anderson, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.