Friday, May 11, 2012
SitcomsOnline.com 2012-13 Upfront Preview: The CW; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of May 14, 2012)
And we enter our last network upfront preview: The CW. The CW continues to struggle, with only one real hit in Vampire Diaries and even that saw some large declines this season. America's Next Top Model continues to struggle and is no longer a hit. They will need to find some hits badly. They also STILL need to solve the two big breaks within the season when everything is in repeats and the network is out of business it seems.
Here is the SitcomsOnline.com The CW 2012-13 preview:
New Series Already Picked-Up: None.
Already Renewed Returning Series: 90210, America's Next Top Model, Supernatural, and The Vampire Diaries.
Likely Returning Series: Hart of Dixie, Nikita and Gossip Girl.
Likey To Be Canceled or Already Canceled: One Tree Hill, H8R, Ringer, Remodeled, LA Complex and Secret Circle.
Likely New Series: Arrow (drama for fall), Beauty and the Beast (drama for mid-season), The Carrie Diaries (drama for fall), The Selection (drama for fall), Cult (drama for mid-season) and First Cut (mid-season drama).
OUR FALL 2012 PREDICTION:
8:00PM The Selection (NEW!)
9:00PM Hart of Dixie
9:00PM Gossip Girl
8:00PM America's Next Top Model
9:00PM The Carrie Diaries (NEW!)
8:00PM Vampire Diaries
9:00PM Arrow (NEW!)
Comments: The CW had its worst season this past season. Many shows were very low and its hits even suffered in the second half. One of the culprits is the long repeat breaks for each series. And they still don't have any comedies in development for 2012-13, but they are coming in 2013-14, so stay tuned! For now, it's all dramas and Top Model. For Mondays, I would certainly change the night as Gossip Girl has faltered leafing off this night. Probably something like Hunger Games style, like The Selection could hit big. Hart of Dixie is likely returning and will stay put at 9.
For Tuesdays, they will probably lead-off with veteran 90210 at 8 again. However, it looks like the Sarah Michelle Gellar drama Ringer is not returning. Perhaps a short 13 episode order for Gossip Girl can air in this timeslot. And it is finally time to end that show, as it has even fallen under a million viewers recently in its Monday timeslot.
Wednesdays should have America's Next Top Model going back where it belongs, at 8pm. They should get a drama that has some buzz at 9, like the Sex and the City prequel The Carrie Diaries. It has 9pm written all over it and will likely be a self-starter, so it should be placed on Wednesdays at 9.
For Thursday, that is still The CW's biggest night and The Vampire Diaries will continue to lead off the night at 8pm. They should and will likely go with the drama Arrow at 9pm, as that is more male skewing, which is something The CW needs again. The CW is likely canning freshman drama The Secret Circle as it not doing that well with that Vampire lead-in.
And finally on Fridays, they will likely remain as is with Nikita returning for a third season, followed by the veteran series Supernatural. This is a good male skewing night, but Smallville is deeply missed still. Perhaps fans of that show will tune in for Arrow, but that clearly is not going to be a Friday show. Thursdays for sure.
For mid-season, they have more drama options. They should cut repeats out as much as possibly, especially for shows like 90210, Gossip Girl. End those early and start new shows. Beauty and the Beast seems like it can air in the fall, but I think a mid-season birth is better so it can air repeat free. Also, shows like Cult or First Cut can step up to the plate to give some series a rest or an early ending. The only time The CW should be in repeats is December. They can't afford to be in repeats anytime else in the season. I'm not too big of a CW watcher, so not sure what they could do to cut down on repeats besides ordering many new shows, but sound off on our link below.
Discuss your thoughts on our prediction and feel free to make suggestions of your own.
Remember, next Thursday (May 17) is the actual date when we will find out The CW's plans for the 2012-13 season. So, come on back next Thursday and we will let you know the details and you can see how much we were right (or wrong).
And as a reminder, stay tuned starting Sunday evening (through Thursday) for all the final schedules released by all the networks! We will put them up as soon as they are released by the networks, so this will be your home to see them first!
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of May 14-18, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, May 14, 2012
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Watch Kelly on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show) - Mila visits Scotland on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on Monday and Thursday at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rashida Jones (Parks and Recreation/The Office) - Rashida is a guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on Monday at Tuesday at 12:37am on CBS.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Chelsea appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Niecy Nash (The Cleveland Show/Reno 911!) - Niecy guest co-hosts Anderson, so check your local listings.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah drops by ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Lrge) - Catch Wanda on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) - Casey appears on a repeat from last week on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Victoria Justice (Victorious/Zoey 101) - Victoria stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty visits NBC's Today between 7-9am.
- Tia Mowry (The Game/Sister, Sister) - Tia tells us about her book, Oh, Baby!: Pregnancy Tales and Advice from One Hot Mama to Another, on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sherri Shepard (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri weigh in on last night's Dancing with the Stars performances on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Watch Betty on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel is a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Tony Hale (Veep/Arrested Development) - Tony appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Betty chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Ellen DeGeneres (Ellen) and Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development) - Ellen, Portia and their chef visit Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Angela Kinsey (The Office) - Angela joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jason Mantzoukas (The League) - Watch Jason on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Krysten Ritter (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - The lovely Krysten visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. She will later be on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Garry Marshall (Creator of Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley/Mork & Mindy) - Garry is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, but check listings for time.
- Jaleel White (Family Matters/Grown Ups) - Jaleel guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Suzanne Somers (Three's Company/Step by Step/She's the Sheriff) - Suzanne chats on Anderson, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, December 2
Last Man Standing - "Precious Snowflakes" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mandy chooses local-celebrity Mike as the speaker for her business school’s graduation. After learning that the school requires his speech to be PC and micro-agression free, Mike decides whether or not to play by the rules. Meanwhile, Eve’s friend Cammy (Sarah Gilman) is home from college, bragging about how fantastic her new life has been, leaving Eve feeling slightly fruitless and discouraged.
Dr. Ken - "D.K's New Girlfriend" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When D.K. overhears Allison complain about him overstaying his welcome, he decides to move in with his girlfriend of three weeks. Meanwhile, Pat wants Dave to pretend he’s his adopted son; and Allison is convinced Molly wants to talk about something when she suggests they do a spa day, but the tables turn when Molly is the one doling out the advice.
I Love Lucy - "I Love Lucy Christmas Special" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL features “The Christmas Episode” and the newly colorized “Lucy Gets in Pictures.” Both were colorized with a vintage look, a nod to the 1950s period in which the shows were filmed. The main titles and end credits of the two episodes are seamlessly combined into one set at the beginning and end of the hour, with no interruption between the episodes.
“The Christmas Episode” finds the Ricardos and Mertzes decorating Lucy and Ricky’s Christmas tree and reminiscing about how their lives have changed since the arrival of the Ricardos’ son, Little Ricky (Keith Thibodeaux). Flashbacks recall the night Lucy tells Ricky she is pregnant, the time Lucy shows up unexpectedly as part of a barbershop quartet and the day Ricky and the Mertzes rehearse taking Lucy to the maternity ward.
“The Christmas Episode” was first broadcast on CBS in December 1956. The episode was not included in the series’ long history of rebroadcasts, first on CBS Daytime and later in syndication. Thought to be lost, CBS rediscovered the episode in 1989.
In the newly colorized “Lucy Gets in Pictures,” Lucy’s lifelong dream of appearing in a motion picture seems to have come true when Ricky arranges for her to play a showgirl in a new musical. Unfortunately, the enormous feathered headdress she is expected to wear as she descends a staircase proves to be too cumbersome. After numerous mishaps on the stairs, the musical’s frustrated director (Lou Krugman) decides to make a change.
“Lucy Gets in Pictures” was originally broadcast Feb. 21, 1955, and was an immediate favorite not only of viewers, but of Lucille Ball herself. She restaged the famous headdress scene, again with Krugman, in the 1962 CBS special, “Opening Night,” and in 1965 in a slightly modified form, this time with actor Danny Thomas, in her second CBS series, “The Lucy Show.”
Liv and Maddie: Cali Style - "Cali Christmas-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Maddie gets upset that she can't be in Wisconsin for Christmas, so Liv helps cheer her up.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets a Christmas Maya" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
As Christmas approaches, Riley gets excited to celebrate her favorite holiday, but for Maya, the holidays only bring back unhappy memories from her childhood.
Bunk'd - "How the Griff Stole Christmas" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The holidays arrive at Camp Kikiwaka with everyone in good spirits -- except for Griff.
Friday, December 2
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Andrew Rannells (Girls/The New Normal) - Andrew is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be/Bosom Buddies) - Holland chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Melissa appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Busy Philipps (Vice Principals/Cougar Town) - Busy guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat) - Randall stops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Quinn (Bunk'd) - Kevin appears on People Now at 8:30am.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - NBC's Today catches up with Miss Piggy in the 10am hour.
- Gaby Hoffmann (Transparent/Someone Like Me) - Gaby appears on Chelsea on Netflix.