Wednesday, May 02, 2012
CBS Plans Burn-Off of How to Be a Gentleman, Again; Comedy Central's Futurama Launches 7th Season in June
CBS is giving canceled sitcom How to Be a Gentleman another chance to air its remaining episodes. The sitcom launched on CBS this Fall and only last two weeks on Thursday nights before packing it to Saturdays, where it only lasted one episode there as well. CBS has produced nine episodes, so six episodes are left to air. As we broke yesterday on Twitter, CBS will air those six episodes this summer. Unless it gets pulls due to low ratings, it will air for five weeks from May 26 to June 23 on Saturday nights at 8:30pm. The first week on May 26, the sitcom will air at 8:00pm as well. The series will follow repeats of Rules of Engagement every Saturday night, exceot on May 26 (since there are double Gentleman episodes on that night).
Lead actor David Hornsby created the series, adapting the nonfiction book of the same name by John Bridges. The series chronicled two former high school classmates, an uptight columnist (Hornsby) and his more freewheeling, Iraq war veteran, trainer (Kevin Dillon), as they renew a friendship that never really existed before. It was sort of like a new take on The Odd Couple.
In other burn-off news, Fox has pulled their planned burn-off of I Hate My Teenage Daughter. The sitcom was set to air Sundays at 7 & 7:30pm on June 6, 13 and 20, but now instead those final six episodes are not scheduled and Fox will air animated encores instead. Will we ever see this show on the schedule again? It is looking less likely since even a summer burn-off was pulled. But stay with us for continued updates on both Gentleman and Daughter.
This June, viewers are advised to fasten their seatbelts for the return of everyone's favorite intergalactic pizza delivery boy from the future. Fry, Bender, Leela and their alien friends are back on Comedy Central to premiere a brand-new season of the Emmy(R) Award-winning series Futurama. The season kicks off with a two-episode premiere on Wednesday, June 20. For the first time ever, Comedy Central and the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival are joining forces to produce an original compilation stand-up special. Select performances from Bonnaroo's Comedy Theatre will be filmed and edited into the one-hour special, debuting on Saturday, June 23. Celebrate the Workaholics' favorite holiday, Half Christmas, with the gang and watch holiday themed episodes of network favorite series, movies and specials on Monday, June 25. Make sure to give Dad the gift he's been dreaming of - spend quality time together watching dad-centric episodes of South Park and Futurama on Father's Day weekend. In addition, check out all-new episodes of the The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Tosh.0, Workaholics and The Half Hour.
As for Futurama, Comedy Central has ordered 26 episodes and it will once again be split into half. 13 episodes are likely to air this summer on Wednesdays at 10PM. In addition, the network is taking Futurama fans on a 50 day multi-platform journey leading up to the series' seventh season premiere on Wednesday, June 20 at 10:00 p.m. The "Countdown To Futurama" launches on Facebook on Tuesday, May 1 and for 50 consecutive days will provide fans with exclusive content including preview clips, character designs, episode stills, story boards and more each day. For the countdown kick-off, Comedy Central will post a sneak peek clip from the season premiere episode, "The Bots and the Bees." Futurama's Facebook page has over 20 million fans and ranks among the top five animated television show pages.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 28
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck with a Boy Genius" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Harley, Rachel, Georgie and Ethan attend their school spring formal dance, while Lewie and Beast camp out at home in the backyard.
Andi Mack - "It's Not About You" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Andi's frustration boils over when she discovers that Buffy has secretly been confiding in Bex instead of her; Cyrus double-dates with Jonah Beck, Amber and her friend Iris.
Friday, April 28
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Watch Gabourey on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Britt Robertson (Girlboss) - Britt is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened), Joely Fisher (Ellen/'Til Death), Clea Lewis (Ellen/Flying Blind) and David Anthony Higgins (Ellen/Malcolm in the Middle/Big Time Rush) - The Ellen DeGeneres Show celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Ellen coming out episode, so check your local listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec talks about Donald Trump, too much alcohol and the thing that saved his life on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She also dishes about Imaginary Mary on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Transparent/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.