Wednesday, May 02, 2012
CBS Plans Burn-Off of How to Be a Gentleman, Again; Comedy Central's Futurama Launches 7th Season in June
CBS is giving canceled sitcom How to Be a Gentleman another chance to air its remaining episodes. The sitcom launched on CBS this Fall and only last two weeks on Thursday nights before packing it to Saturdays, where it only lasted one episode there as well. CBS has produced nine episodes, so six episodes are left to air. As we broke yesterday on Twitter, CBS will air those six episodes this summer. Unless it gets pulls due to low ratings, it will air for five weeks from May 26 to June 23 on Saturday nights at 8:30pm. The first week on May 26, the sitcom will air at 8:00pm as well. The series will follow repeats of Rules of Engagement every Saturday night, exceot on May 26 (since there are double Gentleman episodes on that night).
Lead actor David Hornsby created the series, adapting the nonfiction book of the same name by John Bridges. The series chronicled two former high school classmates, an uptight columnist (Hornsby) and his more freewheeling, Iraq war veteran, trainer (Kevin Dillon), as they renew a friendship that never really existed before. It was sort of like a new take on The Odd Couple.
In other burn-off news, Fox has pulled their planned burn-off of I Hate My Teenage Daughter. The sitcom was set to air Sundays at 7 & 7:30pm on June 6, 13 and 20, but now instead those final six episodes are not scheduled and Fox will air animated encores instead. Will we ever see this show on the schedule again? It is looking less likely since even a summer burn-off was pulled. But stay with us for continued updates on both Gentleman and Daughter.
This June, viewers are advised to fasten their seatbelts for the return of everyone's favorite intergalactic pizza delivery boy from the future. Fry, Bender, Leela and their alien friends are back on Comedy Central to premiere a brand-new season of the Emmy(R) Award-winning series Futurama. The season kicks off with a two-episode premiere on Wednesday, June 20. For the first time ever, Comedy Central and the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival are joining forces to produce an original compilation stand-up special. Select performances from Bonnaroo's Comedy Theatre will be filmed and edited into the one-hour special, debuting on Saturday, June 23. Celebrate the Workaholics' favorite holiday, Half Christmas, with the gang and watch holiday themed episodes of network favorite series, movies and specials on Monday, June 25. Make sure to give Dad the gift he's been dreaming of - spend quality time together watching dad-centric episodes of South Park and Futurama on Father's Day weekend. In addition, check out all-new episodes of the The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Tosh.0, Workaholics and The Half Hour.
As for Futurama, Comedy Central has ordered 26 episodes and it will once again be split into half. 13 episodes are likely to air this summer on Wednesdays at 10PM. In addition, the network is taking Futurama fans on a 50 day multi-platform journey leading up to the series' seventh season premiere on Wednesday, June 20 at 10:00 p.m. The "Countdown To Futurama" launches on Facebook on Tuesday, May 1 and for 50 consecutive days will provide fans with exclusive content including preview clips, character designs, episode stills, story boards and more each day. For the countdown kick-off, Comedy Central will post a sneak peek clip from the season premiere episode, "The Bots and the Bees." Futurama's Facebook page has over 20 million fans and ranks among the top five animated television show pages.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/26 - Family Mattters - The Complete Seventh Season
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, July 29
Best Friends Whenever - "Derby Little Secret" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Cyd and Shelby watch roller derby against Astrid's wishes; they find out Shelby's mom has been lying.
Girl Meets World - "Girl Meets Ski Lodge Part 2" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the group's ski trip winding down, it becomes clear that it's time for Lucas to choose between Riley and Maya.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Love Thy Privacy" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Sam is compelled to reveal the true nature surrounding his lack of maturity.
Friday, July 29
- Kristen Bell (House of Lies) - Watch Kristen on repeats of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC and on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Dave Franco (Scrubs/Do Not Disturb) - Dave appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show/Family Guy) - Mila is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Married with Children) - Christina chats on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Fuller House/Full House) - Candace surprises a real family who have the same story as the Tanners on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Jake Paul (Bizaardvark) - Jake appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kevin Hart (The Big House/Undeclared) - Kevin will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Judy Reyes (Scrubs) - Judy is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.