Wednesday, May 02, 2012
CBS Plans Burn-Off of How to Be a Gentleman, Again; Comedy Central's Futurama Launches 7th Season in June
CBS is giving canceled sitcom How to Be a Gentleman another chance to air its remaining episodes. The sitcom launched on CBS this Fall and only last two weeks on Thursday nights before packing it to Saturdays, where it only lasted one episode there as well. CBS has produced nine episodes, so six episodes are left to air. As we broke yesterday on Twitter, CBS will air those six episodes this summer. Unless it gets pulls due to low ratings, it will air for five weeks from May 26 to June 23 on Saturday nights at 8:30pm. The first week on May 26, the sitcom will air at 8:00pm as well. The series will follow repeats of Rules of Engagement every Saturday night, exceot on May 26 (since there are double Gentleman episodes on that night).
Lead actor David Hornsby created the series, adapting the nonfiction book of the same name by John Bridges. The series chronicled two former high school classmates, an uptight columnist (Hornsby) and his more freewheeling, Iraq war veteran, trainer (Kevin Dillon), as they renew a friendship that never really existed before. It was sort of like a new take on The Odd Couple.
In other burn-off news, Fox has pulled their planned burn-off of I Hate My Teenage Daughter. The sitcom was set to air Sundays at 7 & 7:30pm on June 6, 13 and 20, but now instead those final six episodes are not scheduled and Fox will air animated encores instead. Will we ever see this show on the schedule again? It is looking less likely since even a summer burn-off was pulled. But stay with us for continued updates on both Gentleman and Daughter.
This June, viewers are advised to fasten their seatbelts for the return of everyone's favorite intergalactic pizza delivery boy from the future. Fry, Bender, Leela and their alien friends are back on Comedy Central to premiere a brand-new season of the Emmy(R) Award-winning series Futurama. The season kicks off with a two-episode premiere on Wednesday, June 20. For the first time ever, Comedy Central and the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival are joining forces to produce an original compilation stand-up special. Select performances from Bonnaroo's Comedy Theatre will be filmed and edited into the one-hour special, debuting on Saturday, June 23. Celebrate the Workaholics' favorite holiday, Half Christmas, with the gang and watch holiday themed episodes of network favorite series, movies and specials on Monday, June 25. Make sure to give Dad the gift he's been dreaming of - spend quality time together watching dad-centric episodes of South Park and Futurama on Father's Day weekend. In addition, check out all-new episodes of the The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Tosh.0, Workaholics and The Half Hour.
As for Futurama, Comedy Central has ordered 26 episodes and it will once again be split into half. 13 episodes are likely to air this summer on Wednesdays at 10PM. In addition, the network is taking Futurama fans on a 50 day multi-platform journey leading up to the series' seventh season premiere on Wednesday, June 20 at 10:00 p.m. The "Countdown To Futurama" launches on Facebook on Tuesday, May 1 and for 50 consecutive days will provide fans with exclusive content including preview clips, character designs, episode stills, story boards and more each day. For the countdown kick-off, Comedy Central will post a sneak peek clip from the season premiere episode, "The Bots and the Bees." Futurama's Facebook page has over 20 million fans and ranks among the top five animated television show pages.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/07 - Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season
04/07 - The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series
04/07 - The Crazy Ones - The Complete First Season
04/07 - Frasier - The Complete Series
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 9th Season
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 10th Season
04/07 - 1600 Penn - The Complete Season 1
04/07 - Wanda at Large - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
04/07 - Wilfred - The Complete Season 4
04/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
04/21 - What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
04/28 - I Love Lucy - I Love Mom Edition
04/28 - The Jeffersons - Season Seven
04/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites: Season 5
04/28 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, April 27
2 Broke Girls - "And the Look of the Irish" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Max and Caroline try to break Nash (Austin Falk) into the modeling business in an effort to bring in extra money acting as his managers. Also, Sophie and Oleg attempt to keep celibate for 30 days before their wedding.
Mike & Molly - "Mother From Another Mudlick" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Mike meets his Aunt Rosemary for the first time and is instantly smitten by her warmth and positive attitude – which is the polar opposite of his mother.
Monday, April 27
- Jane Krakowski (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/30 Rock) - Watch Jane on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - Henry visits Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Pollak (Mom/Work with Me) - Kevin is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Tom Rhodes (Mr. Rhodes) - Tom appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show) - Cedric stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe chats on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men/The Famous Teddy Z) - Jon appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 1am on BET.
- Casey Wilson (Marry Me/Happy Endings) - Casey is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 1am on BET.
- Mo'Nique (The Parkers) - Mo'Nique joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. She sets the record straight on the Hollywood controversy and the important life change that helped her lose 100 pounds on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Keke Palmer (True Jackson, VP) - Keke chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Penelope Ann Miller (A Minute with Stan Hooper/The Popcorn Kid) - Penelope chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. She talks about her latest role in ABC's American Crime on HuffPost Live at 2pm.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.