Wednesday, May 02, 2012
CBS Plans Burn-Off of How to Be a Gentleman, Again; Comedy Central's Futurama Launches 7th Season in June
CBS is giving canceled sitcom How to Be a Gentleman another chance to air its remaining episodes. The sitcom launched on CBS this Fall and only last two weeks on Thursday nights before packing it to Saturdays, where it only lasted one episode there as well. CBS has produced nine episodes, so six episodes are left to air. As we broke yesterday on Twitter, CBS will air those six episodes this summer. Unless it gets pulls due to low ratings, it will air for five weeks from May 26 to June 23 on Saturday nights at 8:30pm. The first week on May 26, the sitcom will air at 8:00pm as well. The series will follow repeats of Rules of Engagement every Saturday night, exceot on May 26 (since there are double Gentleman episodes on that night).
Lead actor David Hornsby created the series, adapting the nonfiction book of the same name by John Bridges. The series chronicled two former high school classmates, an uptight columnist (Hornsby) and his more freewheeling, Iraq war veteran, trainer (Kevin Dillon), as they renew a friendship that never really existed before. It was sort of like a new take on The Odd Couple.
In other burn-off news, Fox has pulled their planned burn-off of I Hate My Teenage Daughter. The sitcom was set to air Sundays at 7 & 7:30pm on June 6, 13 and 20, but now instead those final six episodes are not scheduled and Fox will air animated encores instead. Will we ever see this show on the schedule again? It is looking less likely since even a summer burn-off was pulled. But stay with us for continued updates on both Gentleman and Daughter.
This June, viewers are advised to fasten their seatbelts for the return of everyone's favorite intergalactic pizza delivery boy from the future. Fry, Bender, Leela and their alien friends are back on Comedy Central to premiere a brand-new season of the Emmy(R) Award-winning series Futurama. The season kicks off with a two-episode premiere on Wednesday, June 20. For the first time ever, Comedy Central and the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival are joining forces to produce an original compilation stand-up special. Select performances from Bonnaroo's Comedy Theatre will be filmed and edited into the one-hour special, debuting on Saturday, June 23. Celebrate the Workaholics' favorite holiday, Half Christmas, with the gang and watch holiday themed episodes of network favorite series, movies and specials on Monday, June 25. Make sure to give Dad the gift he's been dreaming of - spend quality time together watching dad-centric episodes of South Park and Futurama on Father's Day weekend. In addition, check out all-new episodes of the The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Tosh.0, Workaholics and The Half Hour.
As for Futurama, Comedy Central has ordered 26 episodes and it will once again be split into half. 13 episodes are likely to air this summer on Wednesdays at 10PM. In addition, the network is taking Futurama fans on a 50 day multi-platform journey leading up to the series' seventh season premiere on Wednesday, June 20 at 10:00 p.m. The "Countdown To Futurama" launches on Facebook on Tuesday, May 1 and for 50 consecutive days will provide fans with exclusive content including preview clips, character designs, episode stills, story boards and more each day. For the countdown kick-off, Comedy Central will post a sneak peek clip from the season premiere episode, "The Bots and the Bees." Futurama's Facebook page has over 20 million fans and ranks among the top five animated television show pages.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 23
Superstore - "Mateo's Last Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mateo (Nico Santos) faces complications with his transfer to a Cloud 9 Signature store, he becomes desperate to resolve his undocumented status. Meanwhile, Amy (America Ferrera) helps Glenn (Mark McKinney) battle an Internet troll, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) try to give Mateo legal counsel, and Dina (Lauren Ash) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) take issue with corporate.
Powerless - "I'm a Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Baskets - "Circus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Christine turns to Arby's after Chip joins the Russians.
Thursday, March 23
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Stephanie is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zosia Mamet (Girls) - Zosia is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nick D'Agosto (Trial & Error) - Nick is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody talks about Wilson on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Woody and Laura Dern will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.