Friday, January 13, 2012
Fox Mid-Season Pilot Review: Napoleon Dynamite - Premieres January 15; Sitcom Stars On Talk Shows (Week of January 16, 2012)
Napoleon Dynamite - Sundays at 8:30PM ET/PT on Fox
Premieres Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 8:30PM (regular time) and 9:30PM ET/PT
From the big screen to the small screen, and from live-action to animation, Napoleon Dynamite is back! The 2004 film starring Jon Heder as the title character is back, eight years later, as Fox's newest animated series. Once again, you can follow the lives of Napoleon, Kip, Grandma, and of course, Pedro, as he struggles to deal with the trauma (well, mostly the hilarity) of being a very socially awkward teenager in the heart of Idaho. The new series brings back all of the same characters and even the same actors from the original movie, but this time they're all "drawn out" instead of acting in the series.
Jon Heder as Napoleon Dynamite
Aaron Ruell as Kip Dynamite
Efren Ramirez as Pedro
Tina Majorino as Deb
Sandy Martin as Grandma Dynamite
Jon Gries as Uncle Rico
Diedrich Bader as Rex
Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite) plays the socially awkward teenager and the star of the series. Heder has had roles in the movies The Benchwarmers, Mama's Boy, and Blades of Glory, but clearly, he is best known for playing the movie role of the character that he plays in this series.
Aaron Ruell (Kip Dynamite) plays the role of Napoleon's 32-year-old brother who still lives with Grandma Dynamite. Besides Ruell's role in the movie, he is an accomplished director and photographer for television commercials.
Efren Ramirez (Pedro) reprises his classic role of Pedro, Napoleon's shy friend from Mexico, in the series. Ramirez has starred in movies such as Employee of the Month and made cameo appearances in movies such as Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Nacho Libre. He has appeared in TV series such as Boston Public, George Lopez, and Scrubs.
Tina Majorino (Deb) plays the role of the door-to-door sales woman who may have a crush on Napoleon. She has had regular roles in Camp Wilder, Big Love, and Veronica Mars, and also has appeared in roles in popular music videos.
Jon Gries (Uncle Rico) plays the role of the uncle who lives in a trailer, but often pops by. Gries has had roles in series such as The Pretender, Lost, Martin, and 24.
Diedrich Bader (Rex) plays the role of the local martial arts instructor. Bader has appeared in The Drew Carey Show, Office Space, and most recently, on the series Outsourced.
For this review, we received a copy of the first two episodes of the series.
"Thundercone" (airs January 15 at 8:30PM ET/PT)
Napoleon has a serious acne problem that must be taken care of by any means necessary, and a trip to the drug store leads him to the last tube of a powerful (but recently banned) cream. Using the cream has serious consequences, but the best one for Napoleon is his ability to resist any pain. This allows him to join a local fight club, and while training for a big fight in the "Thundercone," Napoleon is noticed and admired by Kip's girlfriend (special guest star Amy Poehler). How will Kip get his girl back, and get even with his brother?
"Scantronica Love" (airs January 15 at 9:30PM ET/PT)
Professor Koontz (guest star Jermaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords) decides to use a Scantron machine to match students up romantically, but not all goes well when Napoleon is paired with a Japanese exchange student (Lauren Tom) instead of Deb. The matching, along with others, ends with problems for everybody.
The very first thing that I thought about this series before I even watched it was probably what many others are thinking. The movie was made in 2004 and it is now eight years later. Isn't it too late for a TV version of Napoleon Dynamite? Not necessarily. In fact, in my opinion, if the movie had that much of an impact to even be remembered eight years later, perhaps it does deserve to be a TV series, as opposed to the practice of making a TV series out of a movie just weeks or months after the movie hits theaters.
Honestly, I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed watching this series. It is something a little bit different from the ordinary, and had some great moments. Assuming that fans of the movie are interested in more, I think that those same fans will enjoy this series. Of course, the series may face challenges in recapturing that audience, and it may also suffer since it almost doesn't completely fit in with the other Sunday night series (even if it is an enjoyable series). In the days before federally mandated E/I programming, this series likely would have been made into a Saturday morning cartoon, where it would have been certain to succeed. Still, I'm anxious to see how this series develops and where it'll go, and unlike many pilots that I have seen in recent years, this is one that I would sincerely like to see succeed. So don't be a "frickin' idiot." Check out Napoleon Dynamite!
Final Numbers (out of 5 stars):
Discuss the show after you watch it on Sunday, January 15 on our message board.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of January 16-20, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, January 16, 2012
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Watch Melissa on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- David Cross (Arrested Development) - David appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Giovanni Ribisi (Still the Beaver/My Two Dads) - Giovanni is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/The Knights of Prosperity/Hot Properties) - Sofia visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect) - Catch Sherri on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Bill Cosby (The Cosby Show/Cosby/The Bill Cosby Show) - The legendary Mr. Cosby visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Regina King (227) - Regina appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Suzanne Somers (Three's Company/Step by Step/She's the Sheriff) - Suzanne cooks recipes to keep you sexy forever on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kyla Pratt (One on One) - Kyla stops by The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kim Coles (Living Single) - Kim visits the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Watch Mark NBC's Today between 7-9am and later on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell) - Mario guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah visits The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Catch Kathy on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda drops by The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Keke Palmer (True Jackson, VP) - Keke appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show/A Minute with Stan Hooper) - Norm visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Mark joins the Chew Crew on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Carla Gugino (Spin City/Entourage) - Watch Carla on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, March 28
The Middle - "Look Who's Not Talking" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Although excited about finding a new discount store that sells oddly shaped fruits and vegetables, Frankie is devastated when Axl refuses to talk to her or even answer her texts after inadvertently admitting how she feels about April in front of him. Meanwhile, Brick develops a new quirky tick in the form of a repetitive phrase and lands in detention, and Brad surprises Sue by coming out for a weekend visit at her college.
American Housewife - "Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Oliver tells his parents that he’s so embarrassed by their modest house that he’d rather not have a birthday party at all. Katie decides to teach him a lesson by ambushing him with a surprise party at home with all his wealthy friends.
American Housewife - "The Man Date" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Greg is delighted to finally have made a friend in Westport, fellow history buff Stan (guest star Timothy Omundson), but Katie isn’t as happy, especially since Stan is married to her nemesis, Chloe Brown Mueller (Jessica St. Clair).
Fresh Off the Boat - "The Taming of the Dads" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
To celebrate their one-year anniversary, Eddie reluctantly agrees to take Alison to the see a modern remake of Romeo and Juliet. But when Louis and Alison’s dad bond over their love of Shakespeare and crash their date, Alison wonders if she and Eddie’s relationship has lost its spark. Meanwhile, Jessica gets called for jury duty and campaigns to be the “Jury Boss,” and Emery and Evan struggle with the responsibilities of raising a Tamagotchi digital pet.
New Girl - "San Diego" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jess continues to stay with her dad (guest star Rob Reiner) in Portland, they unexpectedly help one another with their love lives. Meanwhile, Nick turns to a reluctant Aly for help with his relationship with Reagan, and Schmidt contemplates using his first name.
The Mick - "The Bully" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The tables are turned when a cyber bully targets Sofia, leading Mickey to come up with a plan for revenge. Meanwhile, Jimmy teaches Chip and Ben how to be self-sufficient, resulting in a painful disaster.
Trial & Error - "Right-Hand Man" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A new piece of evidence emerges that leads Josh (Nicholas D'Agosto) an unlikely, and dangerous, new suspect: Larry's (John Lithgow) brother-in-law, Jeremiah Jefferson Davis. Meanwhile, the case takes another turn when the search for the murder weapon leads Dwayne (Steven Boyer) to find a dismembered human arm.
Trial & Error - "Secrets & Lies" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
As Josh (Nicholas D'Agosto) focuses on his new suspect, Larry (John Lithgow) insists on taking a lie-detector test to help prove his innocence, but the results drop a bombshell on the case and the family. Dwayne (Steven Boyer) briefly becomes a hometown celebrity as the man who found an arm in the lake, and the team gets a surprising new benefactor.
The Detour - "The Heat" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
The Parkers settle into a seemingly normal New York City routine but are being surveilled by federal agents who see more than they had suspected they would see.
Mann & Wife - "Take Me to the Mann" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The new Lieutenant arrives at the precinct, and everyone soon learns that she and Hobbs have a romantic past; A cable installer confuses Toni for singer Tamela Mann.
Mann & Wife - "Pressured by the Mann" (Bounce TV, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Toni faces a moral dilemma when the administrators at her school decide to change the students' standardized test results; Hobbs' mother brings her new fiance for a visit.
Tuesday, March 28
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Catch Alec on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) - Jason is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons/Free Agents/Herman's Head) - Hank visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge/The Drew Carey Show) - Kate appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Adam Pally (Making History/The Mindy Project/Happy Endings) - Adam drops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Judy Greer (Married/Mad Love/Miss Guided) - Judy appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Kevin James (Kevin Can Wait/The King of Queens) - Kevin is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Chelsea drops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat) - Randall appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) - Busy guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Keke Palmer (Scream Queens/True Jackson, VP) - Keke reveals what it’s really like being a child star, plus, the truth behind her struggles with anxiety and depression on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Todd Grinnell (One Day at a Time/Four Kings) - Todd appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard talks about Shots Fired on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- George Lopez (Lopez/George Lopez) - George chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Melissa Peterman (Baby Daddy/Reba) - Melissa share her recipe for Mexican pizza on People Now at 8:30am.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) and Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Jenna and Rachel talk about Imaginary Mary on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Sutton Foster (Younger) - Sutton talks about Younger on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.