Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Antenna TV In Cleveland Soars In Ratings; Remembering All in the Family Director John Rich and Seinfeld's "Mr. Pitt"
On weekends, Adam-12 has done well outperforming programs on WKYC, WBNX, WOIO, WVPX, WEWS, WJW and WUAB! The series airs Saturday nights from 8-9pm and delivers a 0.2/1 rating/share in adults 18-49 and a 0.3/1 rating/share in adults 25-54! Talk about being "hot in Cleveland" as Antenna TV continues to grow. Stay with us for the Antenna TV spring schedule (and not just for Cleveland, but all Antenna TV stations!) that will begin in April and will have the addition of WKRP in Cincinnati, as we mentioned.
We have a couple of recent deaths to tell you about. John Rich, an award-winning television director for The Dick Van Dyke Show and All in the Family, has died. Rich died on January 29 at his Los Angeles home after a brief illness. Mr. Rich was 86.
His nearly 50-year career in Hollywood included directing and producing episodes of many different television series. Rich directed over 40 episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show and won his first Emmy in 1963. He directed over 80 episodes of All in the Family and won two Emmys and two Golden Globes for his work on the series. The memorable scene of Sammy Davis, Jr. kissing Archie Bunker in the episode Sammy's Visit was directed by him. His many other directing credits included episodes of I Married Joan, Where's Raymond?, Our Miss Brooks, Gilligan's Island, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., The Brady Bunch, That Girl, Good Times, Barney Miller, Newhart, Benson and Dear John. In the 1980s Rich and Henry Winkler formed a production company called Henry Winkler/John Rich Productions and together they produced MacGyver for Paramount Television from 1985-92.
You can view an extensive interview with him at the Archive of American Television. Rich is survived by his wife of 22 years, Patricia; his three children, Catherine, Anthony and Robert; his three stepchildren, Megan Lewis, Kimberly Beres and Dana Benton; and eight grandchildren. We thank him for bringing us many hours of quality television. He will be missed.
Ian Abercrombie, a veteran English actor who played Elaine Benes' boss Mr. Pitt during the sixth season on Seinfeld, has died. Abercrombie died at a Los Angeles hospital on January 26 from complications of kidney failure and recently had been diagnosed with lymphoma. Mr. Abercrombie was 77.
His American stage debut was a 1951 production of Stalag 17 with Jason Robards and Jules Munshin. Abercrombie made guest appearances on many television series such as Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Murphy Brown, NewsRadio, Star Trek: Voyager, State of Grace, Birds of Prey, Desperate Housewives, How I Met Your Mother, Happily Divorced and Wizards of Waverly Place. He voiced characters in The Batman, Green Lantern: The Animated Series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Rango. His film credits included Army of Darkness, Addams Family Values, The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties. We'll never forget his memorable and hilarious character on Seinfeld. He was just a very solid and dependable character actor. Mr. Abercrombie is survived by his wife, Gladys, and his brothers Douglas, Donald and Alex. He will be missed.
Who can forget Mr. Pitt eating a Snickers bar with a knife and fork? What are your favorite Mr. Pitt moments? Discuss them on our Seinfeld message board.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/03 - Mad About You - The Complete Series
05/03 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season One
05/10 - Newhart - The Complete Fifth Season
05/17 - Angie Tribeca - The Complete First Season
05/17 - The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season
05/24 - The Wonder Years - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 31
Fresh Off the Boat - "Tight Two" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Louis prides himself on being a fun dad, but after he has an accident and is forced to stay home with the boys, he scrambles to find ways to entertain the kids. And while Louis is stuck at home, Jessica struggles to manage the staff and the new takeout service at Cattleman’s Ranch.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Phillip Goldstein" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eddie tries to befriend the only other Chinese kid in school (guest star Albert Tsai, “Trophy Wife”), but he’s in for a letdown after he finds out that they have nothing in common; Louis feels betrayed when Mitch (Paul Scheer) accepts a job at the rival Golden Saddle.
Tuesday, May 31
- Megan Fox (Hope & Faith) - Catch Megan on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) - Melissa is a guest on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Morris Chestnut (Out All Night) - Morris appears on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rob Corddry (Ballers/The Winner) - Rob appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Paul F. Tompkins (DAG) - Paul is a guest on a repeat of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Rob Lowe (The Grinder/Parks and Recreation) - Rob appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) - Maya talks about Maya and Marty on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin talks about Maya and Marty on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- David Schwimmer (Friends) - David will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Michael Urie (Partners) - Michael discusses hosting the 61st Drama Desk Awards on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Ashley Tisdale (Clipped/The Suite Life of Zack & Cody) - Ashley discusses her first ever beauty line Illuminate by Ashley Tisdale on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose) - Jenna and her husband Bodhi discuss their hit podcast Kicking and Screaming on the the AOL Build Show at 5pm.
- Kenan Thompson (Kenan & Kel) - Kenan talks about Maya and Marty on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Laura Marano (Austin & Ally/Back to You) - Laura appears on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.