Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Antenna TV In Cleveland Soars In Ratings; Remembering All in the Family Director John Rich and Seinfeld's "Mr. Pitt"
On weekends, Adam-12 has done well outperforming programs on WKYC, WBNX, WOIO, WVPX, WEWS, WJW and WUAB! The series airs Saturday nights from 8-9pm and delivers a 0.2/1 rating/share in adults 18-49 and a 0.3/1 rating/share in adults 25-54! Talk about being "hot in Cleveland" as Antenna TV continues to grow. Stay with us for the Antenna TV spring schedule (and not just for Cleveland, but all Antenna TV stations!) that will begin in April and will have the addition of WKRP in Cincinnati, as we mentioned.
We have a couple of recent deaths to tell you about. John Rich, an award-winning television director for The Dick Van Dyke Show and All in the Family, has died. Rich died on January 29 at his Los Angeles home after a brief illness. Mr. Rich was 86.
His nearly 50-year career in Hollywood included directing and producing episodes of many different television series. Rich directed over 40 episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show and won his first Emmy in 1963. He directed over 80 episodes of All in the Family and won two Emmys and two Golden Globes for his work on the series. The memorable scene of Sammy Davis, Jr. kissing Archie Bunker in the episode Sammy's Visit was directed by him. His many other directing credits included episodes of I Married Joan, Where's Raymond?, Our Miss Brooks, Gilligan's Island, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., The Brady Bunch, That Girl, Good Times, Barney Miller, Newhart, Benson and Dear John. In the 1980s Rich and Henry Winkler formed a production company called Henry Winkler/John Rich Productions and together they produced MacGyver for Paramount Television from 1985-92.
You can view an extensive interview with him at the Archive of American Television. Rich is survived by his wife of 22 years, Patricia; his three children, Catherine, Anthony and Robert; his three stepchildren, Megan Lewis, Kimberly Beres and Dana Benton; and eight grandchildren. We thank him for bringing us many hours of quality television. He will be missed.
Ian Abercrombie, a veteran English actor who played Elaine Benes' boss Mr. Pitt during the sixth season on Seinfeld, has died. Abercrombie died at a Los Angeles hospital on January 26 from complications of kidney failure and recently had been diagnosed with lymphoma. Mr. Abercrombie was 77.
His American stage debut was a 1951 production of Stalag 17 with Jason Robards and Jules Munshin. Abercrombie made guest appearances on many television series such as Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Murphy Brown, NewsRadio, Star Trek: Voyager, State of Grace, Birds of Prey, Desperate Housewives, How I Met Your Mother, Happily Divorced and Wizards of Waverly Place. He voiced characters in The Batman, Green Lantern: The Animated Series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Rango. His film credits included Army of Darkness, Addams Family Values, The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties. We'll never forget his memorable and hilarious character on Seinfeld. He was just a very solid and dependable character actor. Mr. Abercrombie is survived by his wife, Gladys, and his brothers Douglas, Donald and Alex. He will be missed.
Who can forget Mr. Pitt eating a Snickers bar with a knife and fork? What are your favorite Mr. Pitt moments? Discuss them on our Seinfeld message board.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August)
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/20 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 5th Season
07/26 - Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
08/02 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
08/09 - Maude - The Complete Final (Sixth) Season
08/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Three
08/23 - Superstore - Season One
08/23 - The Wonder Years - Complete Series (New Slipcase Version)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, August 25
The Big Bang Theory - "The Line Substitution Solution" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon hires Stuart to spend the day with Amy when he’d rather go to a movie screening. Also, Leonard’s mother, Beverly (Christine Baranski), comes to town and Penny struggles to make a connection with her.
Life in Pieces - "Prank Assistant Gum Puppy" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Feeling threatened by Jen’s very handsome new assistant, Jake (Gregg Sulkin), Greg tries to appear more masculine. Also, Heather and Tim pull a prank on Tyler’s school, Joan secretly lets Sophia chew gum even though Heather forbids it, and John takes his new puppy on a date with Colleen and her dog, Princess.
Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll - "Rolling in the Deep" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Someone from the band's past shows up as tension reaches an all time high.
Bunk'd - "Zuri Had a Little Lamb" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The boys find that Gladys has been hiding a secret in the woods; Lou assigns Emma and Zuri to barn duty.
Thursday, August 25
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Catch Alec on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tony Hale (Veep/Arrested Development) - Tony stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Chelsea visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She also talks about Chelsea on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- David Krumholtz (Partners/The Trouble with Normal/Chicago Sons) - David is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jane Lynch (Angel from Hell) - Jane appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- George Lopez (Lopez/Saint George/George Lopez) - George chats with the ladies of The View on a repeat on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Ritter (Another Period/The Class) - Jason is a guest on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel guest co-hosts a repeat of LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zachary Levi (Less Than Perfect) - Zachary appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12:07am on BET or on your local stations.
- Miriam Shor (Younger/Big Day/Inside Schwartz) - Miriam is a guest on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- John Krasinksi (The Office) - John talks about The Hollars on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- John Corbett (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/United States of Tara) - John dishes on his comedy-drama series Northern Exposure on People Now at 8:30am.
- Reid Scott (Veep/My Boys) - Reid is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika discusses Southside with You on the AOL Build Show at 3pm and on Essence Live at 4pm.