Monday, November 14, 2011
The Odd Couple Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Reimagine That! Episode 3 with Dianne Kay of Eight is Enough
This Thanksgiving join Laurel & Hardy, Oscar & Felix on WPIX-11 in New York. On Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, November 24), PIX11 will continue its Thanksgiving tradition and air March of the Wooden Soldiers (9-11am) followed by a 12-episode viewer's choice marathon of The Odd Couple (11am-5pm). The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then its 6-hours of The Odd Couple, starring award-winning actors Tony Randall (as neat-freak, Felix) and Jack Klugman (as everyone's favorite slob, Oscar) which ran for 5 seasons (1970-1975.) Vote for your favorite episodes through PIX Rewards (membership required) http://rewards.wpix.com/. The Odd Couple marathon is sponsored by Time Warner Cable. Too bad a national network is not airing this '70s classic, but if you're in the NYC market or get WPIX on satellite, you won't want to miss this classic sitcom marathon!
Our pal Chris Mann of Retroality.tv is back with episode three of his must-listen podcast, Reimagine That! Well, he premiered it on 11/11/11, so it was released a few days ago. Retro pop meets forward thought as Eight is Enough star Dianne Kay (no relation to Reimagine That! announcer Linda Kay) -- in part one of her exclusive, in-depth interview -- opens her heart about her TV dramedy co-stars, including Dick Van Patten, Susan Richardson, Adam Rich, Grant Goodeve, Betty Buckley, Connie Needham-Newton and the late Lani O'Grady and Diana Hyland. The upbeat and funny blonde beauty also talks about surviving kidney cancer last year as well as surviving the pitfalls of Hollywood. And for the first time ever, she talks about being suspended from an episode of Eight is Enough after standing her ground when show writers decided to make her character, Nancy, pose nude for an art gallery and then receive self-esteem talk from the Bradfords after they show up at the gallery. (One word: Ewwww!)
ALSO: Chris discusses the upcoming literary event (tour?!?) titled "Good Girl vs. Bad Girl: Mary McDonough in conversation with Alison Arngrim," in which the respective authors of "Lessons from the Mountain: What I Learned from Erin Walton" and "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch" offer behind-the-scenes dish while discussing the events and issues that shaped them as women and as advocates. Chris also reveals how the Family Feud home game brought strife to his house in the late '70s/early '80s, shares his cinnamon bun-enhanced fascination with actress-author Carrie Fisher (who once followed him on Twitter -- come back, Carrie, come back!), talks about Showtime's hit new dramedy Shameless, exposes his true feelings about having bowl-resistant hair in the Adam-Rich-bowl-a-riffic '70s, and previews his plans for an updated edition of his book "Come and Knock on Door" for the 35th anniversary of Three's Company in 2012 (James Franco, can Chris borrow your "Chrissy" wig?). Chris mentions Eight is Enough and Three's Company on the same show. Add 8 and 3 and you get 11. 11's are wild on 11/11/11!
Finally, in the third installment of a recurring "dream weaver" segment, Chris and dream weaver Yvonne Ryba (http://YvonneRyba.com) talk lions and tigers and bears (oh, my) while encouraging listeners reimagine their own reality via dream interpretation.
Anyway, listed to episode three on iTunes or on YouTube. You might even hear Dianne slap Chris eight times for calling her Nancy!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August)
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/20 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 5th Season
07/26 - Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
08/02 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
08/09 - Maude - The Complete Final (Sixth) Season
08/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Three
08/23 - Superstore - Season One
08/23 - The Wonder Years - Complete Series (New Slipcase Version)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, August 23
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Paranoia" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Rosa enlists Jake to help change Terry’s disapproving opinion about her fast-moving relationship with Adrian Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). But their love for each other is put on hold when Pimento thinks someone from his past is trying to kill him.
New Girl - "Dress" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Jess races to make alterations to Cece’s bridal dress, while Schmidt tries to keep his “wedding workshop” a secret at work, and Nick struggles to ask Reagan to be his date to the nuptials. Meanwhile, Winston and Aly (guest star Nasim Pedrad) try to keep their relationship on the down-low at work.
Bunk'd - "Griff Is in the House!" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The Ross kids trade their penthouse for Camp Kikiwaka for the summer only to to find a new counselor in the Woodchuck cabin.
Tuesday, August 23
- Donald Glover (Atlanta/Community) - Catch Donald on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Rami Malek (The War at Home) - Rami stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She also talks about Southside with You on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Ben Schwartz (Parks and Recreation) - Ben visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Riki Lindhome (Another Period) and Natasha Leggero (Another Period/Free Agents) - Riki and Natasha are guests on a repeat of Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Trevor Noah at 11pm.
- John Krasinski (The Office) - John appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Judy Greer (Married/Mad Love/Miss Guided) - Judy drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jaime King (Gary Unmarried/The Class/Kitchen Confidential) - Jaime is a guest on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette guest co-hosts a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti appears on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Dave Coulier (Fuller House/Full House) - Dave co-hosts Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Out of Practice) - Henry talks about Better Late Than Never on NBC's Today in the 10am hour, on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET, and on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings/Marry Me) - Casey discusses Amazon's One Mississippi on the AOL Build Show at 3:15am.