Monday, November 14, 2011
The Odd Couple Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Reimagine That! Episode 3 with Dianne Kay of Eight is Enough
This Thanksgiving join Laurel & Hardy, Oscar & Felix on WPIX-11 in New York. On Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, November 24), PIX11 will continue its Thanksgiving tradition and air March of the Wooden Soldiers (9-11am) followed by a 12-episode viewer's choice marathon of The Odd Couple (11am-5pm). The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then its 6-hours of The Odd Couple, starring award-winning actors Tony Randall (as neat-freak, Felix) and Jack Klugman (as everyone's favorite slob, Oscar) which ran for 5 seasons (1970-1975.) Vote for your favorite episodes through PIX Rewards (membership required) http://rewards.wpix.com/. The Odd Couple marathon is sponsored by Time Warner Cable. Too bad a national network is not airing this '70s classic, but if you're in the NYC market or get WPIX on satellite, you won't want to miss this classic sitcom marathon!
Our pal Chris Mann of Retroality.tv is back with episode three of his must-listen podcast, Reimagine That! Well, he premiered it on 11/11/11, so it was released a few days ago. Retro pop meets forward thought as Eight is Enough star Dianne Kay (no relation to Reimagine That! announcer Linda Kay) -- in part one of her exclusive, in-depth interview -- opens her heart about her TV dramedy co-stars, including Dick Van Patten, Susan Richardson, Adam Rich, Grant Goodeve, Betty Buckley, Connie Needham-Newton and the late Lani O'Grady and Diana Hyland. The upbeat and funny blonde beauty also talks about surviving kidney cancer last year as well as surviving the pitfalls of Hollywood. And for the first time ever, she talks about being suspended from an episode of Eight is Enough after standing her ground when show writers decided to make her character, Nancy, pose nude for an art gallery and then receive self-esteem talk from the Bradfords after they show up at the gallery. (One word: Ewwww!)
ALSO: Chris discusses the upcoming literary event (tour?!?) titled "Good Girl vs. Bad Girl: Mary McDonough in conversation with Alison Arngrim," in which the respective authors of "Lessons from the Mountain: What I Learned from Erin Walton" and "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch" offer behind-the-scenes dish while discussing the events and issues that shaped them as women and as advocates. Chris also reveals how the Family Feud home game brought strife to his house in the late '70s/early '80s, shares his cinnamon bun-enhanced fascination with actress-author Carrie Fisher (who once followed him on Twitter -- come back, Carrie, come back!), talks about Showtime's hit new dramedy Shameless, exposes his true feelings about having bowl-resistant hair in the Adam-Rich-bowl-a-riffic '70s, and previews his plans for an updated edition of his book "Come and Knock on Door" for the 35th anniversary of Three's Company in 2012 (James Franco, can Chris borrow your "Chrissy" wig?). Chris mentions Eight is Enough and Three's Company on the same show. Add 8 and 3 and you get 11. 11's are wild on 11/11/11!
Finally, in the third installment of a recurring "dream weaver" segment, Chris and dream weaver Yvonne Ryba (http://YvonneRyba.com) talk lions and tigers and bears (oh, my) while encouraging listeners reimagine their own reality via dream interpretation.
Anyway, listed to episode three on iTunes or on YouTube. You might even hear Dianne slap Chris eight times for calling her Nancy!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, March 5
The Big Bang Theory - "The Colonization Application" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Trouble arises when Amy learns Sheldon has applied for a one-way mission to colonize Mars. Also, a trip to the pet store ends in a fight for Sheldon and Amy, Leonard surprises Penny with a very “adult” purchase, and, Raj is caught snooping in Emily’s apartment.
The Odd Couple - "The Birthday Party" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar realizes he’s forgotten Felix’s birthday, he pulls together a last-minute surprise party in his honor in an attempt to impress Casey.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Cleanroom Infiltration" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Leonard and Wolowitz nearly come to blows and turn to Raj for help in dealing with a work emergency. Meanwhile, Amy throws an authentic Victorian Christmas party, and Sheldon seeks revenge on her for making him celebrate the holidays.
Mom - "Dirty Money and a Woman Named Mike" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie are shocked when they discover how prison has changed their friend Regina. Octavia Spencer returns as Regina. Jaime Pressly returns as Jill.
Thursday, March 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Catch Will on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Tiffani stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew guest co-hosts The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jonathan Banks (Community/Fired Up) - Jonathan appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Stacey Dash (Clueless) - Stacey reveals what it was like working with Bill Cosby and discusses her own parenting style on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Ritter (The Class) - Jason is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne talks about DIG on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Dan Bucatinsky (Marry Me) - Dan talks about Marry Me and Who Do You Think You Are on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Mircea Monroe (Episodes) - Mircea talks about the season finale of her Golden Globe-winning show on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Debby Ryan (Jessie/The Suite Life on Deck) - Debby is a guest on Fox & Friends on Fox News Channel at 7:22am and on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.