Wednesday, July 27, 2011
FX Fall 2011 Schedule Has How I Met Your Mother; The Nanny Reunion on Happily Divorced; TCA Summer 2011 Press Tour: Cable
You can expect How I Met Your Mother usually weekdays anytime between 2pm-10pm, but looks like it isn't airing on Wednesdays. As we mentioned a few weeks ago, they are airing the game show Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? as a filler on some weekday mornings, usually in the 7am hour. How I Met Your Mother will also remain on Lifetime and broadcast syndication on WGN America and your local stations. That's legendary status airings!
Of course FX is known for their original series. FX opens its fall season with the return of the award-winning hit drama Sons of Anarchy on September 6, and will continue to run Tuesdays at 10 PM ET/PT. The 13-episode season kicks off with a special 90-minute premiere episode.
Next, a mainstay on FX's fall schedule since 2007, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia begins its seventh season on September 15, airing Thursdays at 10 PM ET/PT for 13 weeks. Sunny has grown into a huge success to become one of the top scripted comedies on cable. FX's new drama series American Horror Story makes its debut on October 5 and will run Wednesdays at 10 PM ET/PT. The akl-star cast features Dylan McDermott, Connie Britton, Taissa Farmiga, Jessica Lange, Evan Peters and Denis O'Hare.
Comedy The League kicks off its third season on October 6, airing Thursdays at 10:30 PM ET/PT for a 13-episode run. The League, which debuted in September of 2009, is set against the backdrop of a fantasy football league. Finally, FX's acclaimed animated series Archer will get a special three-week run with all new episodes September 15, 22 and 29, Thursdays at 10:30 ET/PT behind It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It will officially be launching its third season in early 2012 with a 13-episode run.
This summer FX is getting strong performances from its original series. The new critically acclaimed comedy series Wilfred is delivering the highest first-season ratings ever of any FX comedy. Wilfred's season one finale airs on Thursday, September 8 at 10 PM ET/PT. Louie, starring Louis C.K., is having an impressive second season, posting year-over-year gains and C.K. recently received Emmy(R) Award nominations for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (an FX first) and Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series. The season two finale of Louie airs on Thursday, September 8 at 10:30 PM ET/PT. And finally this summer, FX's award-winning drama Rescue Me debuted its seventh and final season last Wednesday. The groundbreaking series will air its series finale on Wednesday, September 7.
There's going to be a sitcom reunion on TV Land's original sitcom Happily Divorced starring Fran Drescher! Charles Shaughnessy (The Nanny), who played Fran's employer-turned-husband in the popular sitcom, The Nanny, guest stars as Gregory, a guy that both Fran and her ex-husband Peter (John Michael Higgins) want to date in the season finale of Happily Divorced, airing August 17. To date, the series is averaging over 2.2 million viewers every week. Last week, Happily Divorced was renewed for a second season of 12 episodes.
And that's not all! Also making a special guest appearance this season will be Fran's nosy and overbearing mother from The Nanny, Renée Taylor, who will play Marilyn, an old friend of Fran's mother, Dori (Rita Moreno) on the August 3 episode. Additionally, Angie Everhart guest stars as the sister of Fran's ex-boyfriend, Elliot (D.W. Moffett), Lou Diamond Phillips will appear as a man that chooses Judi (Tichina Arnold) over Fran, and Jennifer Holliday will guest star as herself. Most recently, Ian Ziering (Beverly Hills, 90210) guest-starred as a handsome support group leader who helps Fran realize that she has not moved on from her divorce.
Happily Divorced airs on Wednesday nights at 10:30pm ET/PT immediately following new episodes of Hot in Cleveland.
Finally the TCA Summer 2011 Press Tour started yesterday with cable day one and there wasn't much to update. The only thing of note is that truTV will air their off-network acquisition Wipeout (which we announced in April) on Friday nights at 8:00pm beginning Friday, Sept. 2. truTV has acquired exclusive, off-network cable rights to air this exciting series in which contestants face wildly outrageous barriers, from Big Balls to complex contraptions, for the chance at winning a cash prize. Wipeout, which is also shown in numerous international versions around the globe, ranks among the world's top-rated game shows. The series was recently voted by Entertainment Weekly's readers as "Reality TV's Guiltiest Pleasure" and is a big hit on ABC, now in its fourth season.
Stay with us for more notable updates from cable and then more in-depth coverage of the broadcast networks.
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, August 22
Last Man Standing - "Hard-ass Teacher" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eve has decided she wants to go to college at West Point. In order to do so she needs to get straight A’s, which might be a problem considering her geometry teacher, Mr. Hardin, is called “Hard-ass” Hardin for a reason. In turn, Eve asks Mike and Vanessa for their approval to switch teachers to an easier class -- a move Vanessa approves of but one that Mike sees as just the easy way out.
Last Man Standing - "April, Come She Will" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Vanessa’s mooching sister April comes to visit, Mike suspects it’s because she needs money. Sure enough, April explains that she’s decided to have a baby but doesn’t have the funds for a donor egg. While Vanessa and Mike aren’t on board, Mandy comes up with a solution. Meanwhile at Outdoor Man, Mike tries pulling a prank on Chuck Larabee that gives him some new perspective.
Jessie - "Coffee Talk" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jessie scores two VIP wristbands to Emma and Zuri's dream concert and the girls compete for the extra spot; Bertram is obsessed with his new talking coffee maker.
Dog with a Blog - "Karl Finds Out Stan's Secret" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Stan's secret talent is revealed to the family's neighbor, Karl; he doesn't find out about the blog, the moon walking or the driving, though.
Friday, August 22
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep/The New Adventures of Old Christine/Seinfeld) - Catch Julia on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Damon Wayans, Jr. (New Girl/Happy Endings) and Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Watch the stars of Let's Be Cops on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman) - Tune in to see Mary on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison is a guest on a repeat of Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney is part of the guest panel on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Brandy (The Game/Moesha) - Brandy appears on a repeat of The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Tune in to see Mayim on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason is a guest on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show) - Learn how Cedric is killing his cholesterol on a repeat of The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time) - Valerie joins the Chew Crew on a repeat of ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.