Saturday, July 09, 2011
The Donna Reed Show has had an interesting bunch of ups and downs on DVD, but the most recent news that we have heard is that MPI would be releasing the fourth season of the show, at some date to be determined. We don't really have any new information about this, but it appears that this release has come much closer to being confirmed as a reality, as MPI's upcoming release of Here's Lucy - Best Of Collection (which, by the way, we will have a review for sometime very soon) has a preview advertising the fourth season of The Donna Reed Show. That is really all we know right now, but it is still great to know that the set has moved from rumors posted on a message board over a year ago to an actual advertising preview! We'll of course have more on this when we know more.
John,Interesting you asked that question because I was just considering with my distributor whether to release before the end of this year the 4th season along with the first 3 as part of a complete set of the entire show. So you are hearing from a number of fans that they want the 4th season, even though it doesn't feature George Maharis? What is their/your sentimen regarding the 4th season in general? Favorable?Thanks much,Kirk HallamRoxbury Entertainment
UPCOMING WEEK PREVIEW
Tuesday (July 12) has just one DVD of note on tap, with HBO's release of Entourage - The Complete Seventh Season (also on Blu-ray). We'll have a review of the Blu-ray set soon.
BLOG FEATURE REVIEW
DVD Review - Mannix - The Fifth Season
Mannix - The Fifth Season (CBS Home Entertainment, $49.98) brings 24 more episodes of the iconic detective drama to DVD in a six disc set. Joe Mannix (Mike Connors) is a detective like no other. While most detectives would do anything to get to the bottom of the case, Mannix would often get into situations that put himself at risk to get the answer, and bounce back just in time for the next case with only a few minor bumps and bruises.
The season begins with "Dark So Early, Dark So Long," where Mannix has to help a high school friend who is accused of murder. Mannix has to help a vineyard worker accused of murder when he visits his hometown in "Wine From These Grapes." Did a writer fake his own death to avoid retaliation? Mannix thinks so in "Days Beyond Recall." A youth baseball coach disappears and Mannix is hired to find him in "Run Till Dark." In "A Choice of Evils," Peggy is kidnapped and her life is threatened, so what will Mannix do to help? Three clients have just fired Mannix in "Murder Times Three," but there may be more to worry about than just losing a job.
The episodes all appear to be unedited, with runtimes as follows:
1. "Dark So Early, Dark So Long" (51:02)
2. "Cold Trail" (51:03)
3. "A Step in Time" (50:49)
4. "Wine From These Grapes" (50:49)
5. "Woman in the Shadows" (51:01)
6. "Days Beyond Recall" (51:02)
7. "Run Till Dark" (50:49)
8. "The Glass Trap" (51:03)
9. "A Choice of Evils" (50:50)
10. "A Button for General D" (50:50)
11. "The Man Outside" (50:49)
12. "Murder Times Three" (50:49)
13. "Catspaw" (50:47)
14. "To Save a Dead Man" (50:48)
15. "Night Shade" (50:48)
16. "Babe in the Woods" (50:48)
17. "The Sound of Murder" (50:48)
18. "Moving Target" (50:45)
19. "Cry Pigeon" (50:47)
20. "A Walk in the Shadows" (50:48)
21. "Lifeline" (50:48)
22. "To Draw the Lightning" (50:48)
23. "Scapegoat" (50:48)
24. "Death in the Fifth Gear" (50:48)
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews Page
Mannix on TV.com
Get ready for more soapy drama next week with our review of the most recent releases of Dynasty, with Dynasty - The Fifth Season, Volume 1 and Dynasty - The Fifth Season, Volume 2. We can never predict what our news will be like on any given week, but we can say for certain that we are going to be really busy with our reviews over the next few months, particularly with releases of the 2010-2011 seasons of current series. So until then, keep it digital!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.