Saturday, June 18, 2011
The movie originally aired in 1987 in local syndication. If you love The Jetsons and The Flintstones, then this is a dream movie for you. Yes, the voices for these differ from the original series, as we have new voices. However, The Jetsons was revived in local syndication from 1985-87, so the new voices are the same people who were in that series. The Jetsons originally aired on ABC for one season in 1962-63. It was so popular in repeats it was revived in the mid-80s as a new series. The Flintstones aired on ABC from 1960-1966 and was popular from the start. There were many reincarnations and specials after that, so The Flintstones never really disappeared from TV when this movie aired in 1987. In fact, more TV movies and specials were created for this series after this movie aired, so back to the original point about the original series voices--it doesn't matter, because there were so many specials and movies.
Anyway, the movie runs 92:05 and is unedited of course. We have 10 chapter stops for the movie, but it is every 10 minutes rather than at the end of acts.
The DVD comes in a movie-style case. The cover art has a nice shot of Fred & Wilma in the Jetsons' car, while George, Jayne & Elroy are in the Flintstones car. Dino and Astro are outside running around. There are some characters missing, but oh well. But the back of the case has nearly everyone. We have a nice episodic image of Fred and George looking at each other, along with info on the movie & set, and three smaller episodic images. Inside the case we just have the disc on the right panel. The panels are not decorated, so it is just plain black. The disc art is the same as the cover art, but the disc art is more zoomed in.
The menu design is good and uses the same artwork as the cover art, but a bit more focused and in an oval shape. The menu is very simple as well. There is only one option: Play Movie. It's as simple as that. I wish we had options for subtitles at least, though. And maybe scene selections? There isn't music playing in the background either. It's all good though, as long as we get to watch the movie!
Video and audio quality are both good. There are some dust and debris here and there, but it looks good. This isn't re-mastered or anything, so it isn't HD quality. It's better than your VHS recordings of this movie, I'm sure. It's the best you can get anywhere.
There are no special features, which isn't really surprising since this is a made on-demand set from Warner Archive. It would have been nice to have some original promos or something, but it is what it is and I'm just happy this movie is FINALLY on DVD!
I think Warner Archive did a decent job on this set. They bring a lot of rare items that would never be released on Warner Home Video, so they focus on the main feature itself rather than bonus features or any other item. That being said, yes the packaging, menu features, the special features and even the audio/video could be better, but this isn't a general release, so expectations are lower. I hope more The Flintstones movies and specials get released by Warner Archive, as I'm a big fan of the franchise. It just seems Warner Home Video won't release those for some reason, so Warner Archive is the way to go! Get ready for two classic animated series families getting together in a wild and wooly mammoth movie treat! Fred or George? Sound off to us on Twitter and Facebook!
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Main DVD Reviews Page
The Jetsons TV.com page
The Flintstones TV.com page
Be sure to come back next week for more Digital Digest. We'll have more news and reviews for you, and we hope that you'll be back for it. Until then, keep it digital!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 20
Last Man Standing - "A House Divided" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mike and Vanessa ask newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to tone down their constant displays of affection, Mandy agrees but only if her parents become more discreet in the way they express their feelings to each other. Meanwhile, Kristen gets Eve a gig playing at the Grill, but Ed wants to fire her after a lackluster performance.
Dr. Ken - "A Day in the Life" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Amy (guest star Yvette Nicole Brown), the producer of a documentary health series, follows Ken around to record a typical day at an HMO, giving Ken his big moment in the limelight. But much to Ken’s chagrin, a series of the less than thrilling day-to-day parts of the job at Welltopia leads Ken to doubt his own career choice.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.