Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Sitcom wise, CABLEready is entering the scripted programming arena for the first time, offering up two sitcoms, including one with Married... with Children's David Faustino! The two original comedies are being produced by Dan Garcia Productions. Things We Do For Love is a half-hour multi-camera sitcom with a cast that includes Alfonso Ribeiro, Maria Conchita Alonzo, Tamara Mowry and James Avery. Darren (Alfonso Ribeiro) and his lovely wife Lourdes (Tamara Mowry) have recently been married. They struggle with life as newlyweds sustaining a family owned business. Once their zany in-laws move in (Lourdes' mom and Darren's father), their lives change forever. 5 episodes have been ordered and taped. Clunkers is a half-hour semi-scripted, single-camera comedy with Carl Anthony Payne, David Faustino, Katherine Rose and Sherman Hemsley. The comedy reunites high school best friends Ritchie (Carl Anthony Payne) and Shaun (David Faustino) at a used car lot in the deep south. With a feel of Curb Your Enthusiasm meets Sanford and Son, the show revolves around a former local baseball star, Ritchie, who must swallow his pride and return to his hometown after an injury keeps him from making it in the major leagues. 9 episodes have been ordered and shot. Hopefully more news on these two potential sitcoms will come soon, including what cable networks will pick these up. Our buddy Sean Compton, President of Programming at Tribune, wants original sitcoms in first-run syndication, so these two would be a great start for that even though they are being offered for cable. Stay tuned for further updates!
We hope to have our annual list of what is available for Fall 2011 by tomorrow.
Meanwhile, CBS has moved the premiere date of mid-season sitcom Mad Love to Valentine's Day (Monday, Feb. 14) at 8:30pm. The series was originally slated to premiere a week later on Monday, Feb. 21. This means Rules of Engagement will have its last Monday airing on Feb. 7 now but it will still move to Thursdays at 8:30pm starting Feb. 24. 13 episodes of Mad Love will air, while Rules of Engagement will have 9 episodes to air (from its 24 episode order) on its new night of Thursday.
The sitcom stars Jason Biggs, Sarah Chalke, Tyler Labine and Judy Greer. Matt Tarses and Jamie Tarses are executive producers for Sony Pictures Television in association with CBS Television Studios. Look for our review of the pilot closer to premiere date.
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, August 22
Last Man Standing - "Hard-ass Teacher" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Eve has decided she wants to go to college at West Point. In order to do so she needs to get straight A’s, which might be a problem considering her geometry teacher, Mr. Hardin, is called “Hard-ass” Hardin for a reason. In turn, Eve asks Mike and Vanessa for their approval to switch teachers to an easier class -- a move Vanessa approves of but one that Mike sees as just the easy way out.
Last Man Standing - "April, Come She Will" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Vanessa’s mooching sister April comes to visit, Mike suspects it’s because she needs money. Sure enough, April explains that she’s decided to have a baby but doesn’t have the funds for a donor egg. While Vanessa and Mike aren’t on board, Mandy comes up with a solution. Meanwhile at Outdoor Man, Mike tries pulling a prank on Chuck Larabee that gives him some new perspective.
Jessie - "Coffee Talk" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jessie scores two VIP wristbands to Emma and Zuri's dream concert and the girls compete for the extra spot; Bertram is obsessed with his new talking coffee maker.
Dog with a Blog - "Karl Finds Out Stan's Secret" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Stan's secret talent is revealed to the family's neighbor, Karl; he doesn't find out about the blog, the moon walking or the driving, though.
Friday, August 22
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep/The New Adventures of Old Christine/Seinfeld) - Catch Julia on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Damon Wayans, Jr. (New Girl/Happy Endings) and Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Watch the stars of Let's Be Cops on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman) - Tune in to see Mary on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison is a guest on a repeat of Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney is part of the guest panel on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Brandy (The Game/Moesha) - Brandy appears on a repeat of The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Tune in to see Mayim on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason is a guest on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show) - Learn how Cedric is killing his cholesterol on a repeat of The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time) - Valerie joins the Chew Crew on a repeat of ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.