Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Sitcom wise, CABLEready is entering the scripted programming arena for the first time, offering up two sitcoms, including one with Married... with Children's David Faustino! The two original comedies are being produced by Dan Garcia Productions. Things We Do For Love is a half-hour multi-camera sitcom with a cast that includes Alfonso Ribeiro, Maria Conchita Alonzo, Tamara Mowry and James Avery. Darren (Alfonso Ribeiro) and his lovely wife Lourdes (Tamara Mowry) have recently been married. They struggle with life as newlyweds sustaining a family owned business. Once their zany in-laws move in (Lourdes' mom and Darren's father), their lives change forever. 5 episodes have been ordered and taped. Clunkers is a half-hour semi-scripted, single-camera comedy with Carl Anthony Payne, David Faustino, Katherine Rose and Sherman Hemsley. The comedy reunites high school best friends Ritchie (Carl Anthony Payne) and Shaun (David Faustino) at a used car lot in the deep south. With a feel of Curb Your Enthusiasm meets Sanford and Son, the show revolves around a former local baseball star, Ritchie, who must swallow his pride and return to his hometown after an injury keeps him from making it in the major leagues. 9 episodes have been ordered and shot. Hopefully more news on these two potential sitcoms will come soon, including what cable networks will pick these up. Our buddy Sean Compton, President of Programming at Tribune, wants original sitcoms in first-run syndication, so these two would be a great start for that even though they are being offered for cable. Stay tuned for further updates!
We hope to have our annual list of what is available for Fall 2011 by tomorrow.
Meanwhile, CBS has moved the premiere date of mid-season sitcom Mad Love to Valentine's Day (Monday, Feb. 14) at 8:30pm. The series was originally slated to premiere a week later on Monday, Feb. 21. This means Rules of Engagement will have its last Monday airing on Feb. 7 now but it will still move to Thursdays at 8:30pm starting Feb. 24. 13 episodes of Mad Love will air, while Rules of Engagement will have 9 episodes to air (from its 24 episode order) on its new night of Thursday.
The sitcom stars Jason Biggs, Sarah Chalke, Tyler Labine and Judy Greer. Matt Tarses and Jamie Tarses are executive producers for Sony Pictures Television in association with CBS Television Studios. Look for our review of the pilot closer to premiere date.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/03 - Mad About You - The Complete Series
05/03 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season One
05/10 - Newhart - The Complete Fifth Season
05/17 - Angie Tribeca - The Complete First Season
05/17 - The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season
05/24 - The Wonder Years - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, June 1
Modern Family - "Playdates" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Claire and Phil have dinner plans with this great couple they met on vacation; the only problem is they never pick up the bill, so Claire insists Phil be strong this time and make them pay. Gloria organizes a playdate with a couple that appears to have a lot in common with them – they also have a young son Joe’s age, but the husband is in his eighties and Jay takes it very personally. Elsewhere, Haley, Alex and Luke are surprised when Uncle Mitchell comes over to cash in on the birthday coupon they gave him for a belated celebration, so they scramble and end up on an impromptu tour of celebrity homes.
The Goldbergs - "Edward "Eddie the Eagle" Edwards" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Barry sees underdog Eddie the Eagle in the Olympics, he decides to popularize Ball Ball in order to gain respect at school. Meanwhile, Beverly catches wind that Murray’s store sales are down and intervenes by selling the latest furniture craze.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Hawaii" (Freeform, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi and a fellow traveler pose as newlyweds at a couples-only resort in Hawaii.
Baby Daddy - "Trial by Liar" (Freeform, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Riley puts Danny on trial for breaking her heart after she discovers he once hooked up with Sam.
Lopez - "George Needs Vegas" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
George's frustrations keep mounting due to troubles with the communities at both his Beverly Hills and San Fernando properties. He needs to get away from it all.
The Soul Man - "White Trash" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
With everyone blaming Boyce for the garbage strike, he is determined to put an end to it with or without Mayor Saxby's help. Alicia has a surprising offer for Stamps, and Barton is stretching himself too thin.
Schitt's Creek - "Happy Anniversary" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Johnny and Moira see a couple they knew in a past life; Alexis and David go to Mutt's annual barn party.
Wednesday, June 1
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Watch Bryan on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andy is a guest on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He discusses his new film Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Dakota Johnson (Ben and Kate) - Dakota appears on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) and Danny Masterson (The Ranch/That '70s Show) - Ashton and Danny are guests on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony appears on a repeat of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Riki Lindhome (Another Period/Super Fun Night) - Riki is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Rory Scovel (Ground Floor) - Rory appears on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of The Big Bang Theory - Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyar, Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch are guests on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mackenzie Phillips (One Day at a Time) - Mackenzie reveals why we’re all one prescription away from being hooked on a repeat of The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- The Monkees - The Monkees perform on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Laura Marano (Austin & Ally/Back to You) - Laura is a guest on Fox & Friends on Fox News Channel at 7:22am. She talks about her acting and singing careers on the AOL Build Show at 3:30pm.
- Billy Ray Cyrus (Still the King) - Billy Ray talks about Still the King on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.