Tuesday, December 21, 2010
TBS had been airing the reruns since 2003 and they stopped airing the series in early November.
We have some sad news to report. Barney Miller's Steve Landesberg has passed away. Steve passed away yesterday (Monday, Dec. 20). The cause of death wasn't released, but it was said that he had cancer.
Steve Landesberg may have been best known for his role as the intellectual and sometimes annoying Detective Sgt. Arthur Dietrich on the long-running 1970s ABC cop comedy Barney Miller (1975-82), but younger audiences knew him too -- for a slew of recent parts such as the doctor on the 2008 hit movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
Landesberg appeared in dozens of TV shows as a guest star, his curly haired, bespectacled face easily recognizable. He also played Det. Arthur Dietrich on an episode of the Barney Miller spin-off Fish in 1977. Among the older series he appeared on were The Rockford Files, 9 to 5, Mr. President, Pearl, Harry and the Hendersons, Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place, Cosby, Dave's World, Conrad Bloom, Twice in a Lifetime, Law and Order and The Golden Girls. Recent credits included The Cleaner, Everybody Hates Chris, Ghost Whisperer, Just Jordan, That '70s Show and American Dad!
His last regular role was on the Starz short-lived drama Head Case from 2007-09. He also lent his voice to animated fare such as Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law, Capitol Critters and an episode of ABC's Dinosaurs. As mentioned his film work included Forgetting Sarah Marshall and also Wild Hogs and Leader of the Band. You can see him play an accountant on Wild Hogs on New Year's Eve on ABC at 8pm.
Steve will be deeply missed. He was an accomplished actor and was nominated three times for an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy or Variety or Music Series from 1980-82 on Barney Miller. Unfortunately, Barney Miller is not airing on television right now. It was last aired on WGN America, but let's hope there is some sort of tribute to Steve. We will let you know if there is one. Steve was only 65.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/03 - Mad About You - The Complete Series
05/03 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season One
05/10 - Newhart - The Complete Fifth Season
05/17 - Angie Tribeca - The Complete First Season
05/17 - The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season
05/24 - The Wonder Years - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, May 25
Lopez - "Lopez Gets Roasted" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
George agrees to be roasted before finding out his wife is legally tying up his jokes, leaving him without an act. Will he be able to change her mind or get out of the roast in time?
The Soul Man - "No Bingo, No Peace" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Mayor Saxby is purposely interrupting all aspects of the Ballentines' lives, including revoking Barton's Bingo permit. When Barton protests, it inspires Boyce to take action.
Schitt's Creek - "Lawn Signs" (Pop, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Some of Moira's lawn signs disappear; David and Alexis work to get David's boss out of trouble.
Wednesday, May 25
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - Watch David on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Wil Wheaton (The Big Bang Theory) - Wil is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Sean Hayes (The Millers/Sean Saves the World/Will & Grace) - Sean talks about An Act of God on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Peter Scolari (Newhart/Bosom Buddies) - Peter visits New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril dishes up his famous banana cream pie on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Jane Lynch (Angel from Hell) and Kate Flannery (The Office) - Jane and Kate talk about See Jane Sing on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri talks about WE's Match Made in Heaven on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) - Melissa and the cast of Ghostbusters are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Mark is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.