Thursday, July 01, 2010
TV Land and Nick at Nite Doing Well in Ratings; Network Notes Includes CW Premiere Dates and CBS New Midseason Sitcom
The month of June was very successful for TV Land in primetime as the network posted a 0.4 rating and 393,000 viewers among Adults 25-54, up 37% in 25-54 rating and 36% in viewers 25-54. The network attracted an average of 904,000 total viewers for the month. Among Women 25-54, TV Land scored a 0.4 rating and 232,000 viewers up 43% in W25-54 rating and 45% in viewers W25-54. The first two episodes of the fiery hit Hot in Cleveland propelled TV Land to its highest-rated and most-watched month in prime since January 2008 with a 2.3 rating and 2.4 million among A25-54 viewers. The sitcom is averaging over 5 million total viewers and is also a smash with Women 25-54, pacing at a 2.9 rating and 1.6 million viewers.
For the quarter in primetime, TV Land posted a 0.3 rating and 360,000 viewers among its target demo of Adults 25-54, up 21% in both 25-54 rating and viewers 25-54 over a year ago. Among Women 25-54, TV Land scored a 0.4 rating and 210,000 viewers, up double-digit gains of 34% in W25-54 rating and 35% in viewers W25-54 over last year. In addition to the huge premiere of Hot in Cleveland in June, regularly scheduled programming such as Everybody Loves Raymond and Roseanne remained strong performers among Adults 25-54 for the quarter with Raymond posting a 0.4 rating and 415,000 viewers and Roseanne scoring a 0.3 rating and 341,000 viewers for that demo. Additionally, the original series How'd You Get So Rich? starring Joan Rivers also performed well with a 0.3 rating and 341,000 viewers among A25-54.
Nickelodeon closes the quarter with its biggest second quarter performance ever with total viewers in the network's history and its 61st straight quarter as the top basic cable network with kids 2-11 and total viewers - the longest run of its kind. Nick also claims basic cable's top spot in total day with kids 2-11 and total viewers for 2Q10. According to Nielsen Media Research (3/29/10-6/27/10), Nickelodeon averaged 2.2 million total viewers; a 3.4 rating and 1.2 million K2-11; a 3.0 rating and 649,000 viewers K6-11; and 2.3 rating and 491,000 viewers T9-14 for the quarter.
Also, Nick at Nite, TeenNick, Nicktoons and Nick Jr. boast their most-watched second quarter performances ever. Nick at Nite drew its most-watched second quarter ever with total viewers (1.7 million total viewers) and finished 2Q10 as the top cable network among W18-49 (0.7 rating and 409,000 viewers).
The CW Network has set its fall premiere schedule, launching its fifth broadcast season with 10 hours of original programming of returning favorites and two new series. The season will launch all outside of premiere week, beginning on Sept. 8 with America's Next Top Model 15 and the series premiere of drama Hellcats. The next night (Sept. 9) will see the return of The Vampire Diaries and new drama Nikita. On Monday, Sept. 13, 90210 moves to its new night at 8pm, followed by the season premiere of Gossip Girl. If I were The CW, I would have had a special season premiere of 90210 on Thursday, Sept. 2 (get it? 9/02/10). Anyway, One Tree Hill launches its eighth season on a new night on Tuesday, Sept. 14, followed by the season premiere of Life UneXpected. And finally 10 days later, Friday dramas Smallville and Supernatural launch their new seasons on Friday, Sept. 24. The Friday dramas are the only CW series launching in the TV premiere week (Sept. 20-26), as the other CW series are launching between Sept. 8-14.
CBS has officially made the pick-up of sitcom Mad Love for mid-season. CBS has made some casting changes bringing on Sarah Chalke ([scrubs]) and Judy Greer (Miss Guided) to replace Minka Kelly and Lizzy Caplan respectively.
The comedy Mad Love, starring Jason Biggs, Sarah Chalke, Judy Greer and Tyler Labine, has been ordered by CBS for mid-season. Mad Love is about a quartet of single friends in New York City - two who are falling in love and two who despise each other... at least for now.
Matt Tarses and Jamie Tarses are the executive producers for Sony Pictures Entertainment in association with CBS Television Studios. Pamela Fryman directed the pilot.
Meanwhile, NBC is making some summer schedule changes...again. Rookie summer drama Persons Unknown will get one more Monday airing on July 5, then it will be moved to Saturdays at 8pm starting July 17. More repeats of America's Got Talent will be added, airing Mondays at 8pm and Sundays at 9pm. This is in addition to its regular Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 9 slots. Saturday repeats will be removed after this week (July 3). Also, the Thursday comedy block has not been repeating well, so Thursdays will have Law & Order: SVU repeats now at 10pm (in addition to the regular Wednesday at 10pm repeats) starting July 15. 8-10pm will now be Community, 30 Rock, The Office and Parks & Recreation.
View the updated NBC Summer 2010 day-by-day schedule.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 24
Kevin Can Wait - "Beat the Parents" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Kevin and Donna are thrilled when their son, Jack, makes friends with a boy from school, Grayden (Graydon Peter Yosowitz), however, when Donna and Kevin don’t hit it off with Grayden’s arrogant father, Vic (Ray Romano), and his pushy wife, Brandi (Lindsay Broad), they set out to sabotage the boys’ new friendship. Matt Romano guest stars as Vic’s second son, Braden.
Man with a Plan - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc stars as Adam, a contractor who starts spending more time with his three kids when his wife, Andi, goes back to work and discovers the truth all parents eventually realize—their little angels are maniacs.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Godmama Drama" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Oleg and Sophie’s plan to have Max and Caroline as Barbara’s godparents is derailed when Oleg’s domineering mother, Olga (Mercedes Ruehl), arrives from the Ukraine for the baby’s baptism and fires Max and Caroline from their godparent duties.
The Odd Couple - "Food Fight" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar learns that his favorite hangout, Langford’s, is in financial trouble, he impulsively asks Felix to help save it, without considering the disastrous consequences. Also, Felix tries to make his mark on the restaurant when the owner, Fred Langford (Fred Willard), puts him in charge for a few days.
Monday, October 24
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kate Micucci (Raising Hope/The Big Bang Theory) - Kate is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.