Thursday, July 01, 2010
TV Land and Nick at Nite Doing Well in Ratings; Network Notes Includes CW Premiere Dates and CBS New Midseason Sitcom
The month of June was very successful for TV Land in primetime as the network posted a 0.4 rating and 393,000 viewers among Adults 25-54, up 37% in 25-54 rating and 36% in viewers 25-54. The network attracted an average of 904,000 total viewers for the month. Among Women 25-54, TV Land scored a 0.4 rating and 232,000 viewers up 43% in W25-54 rating and 45% in viewers W25-54. The first two episodes of the fiery hit Hot in Cleveland propelled TV Land to its highest-rated and most-watched month in prime since January 2008 with a 2.3 rating and 2.4 million among A25-54 viewers. The sitcom is averaging over 5 million total viewers and is also a smash with Women 25-54, pacing at a 2.9 rating and 1.6 million viewers.
For the quarter in primetime, TV Land posted a 0.3 rating and 360,000 viewers among its target demo of Adults 25-54, up 21% in both 25-54 rating and viewers 25-54 over a year ago. Among Women 25-54, TV Land scored a 0.4 rating and 210,000 viewers, up double-digit gains of 34% in W25-54 rating and 35% in viewers W25-54 over last year. In addition to the huge premiere of Hot in Cleveland in June, regularly scheduled programming such as Everybody Loves Raymond and Roseanne remained strong performers among Adults 25-54 for the quarter with Raymond posting a 0.4 rating and 415,000 viewers and Roseanne scoring a 0.3 rating and 341,000 viewers for that demo. Additionally, the original series How'd You Get So Rich? starring Joan Rivers also performed well with a 0.3 rating and 341,000 viewers among A25-54.
Nickelodeon closes the quarter with its biggest second quarter performance ever with total viewers in the network's history and its 61st straight quarter as the top basic cable network with kids 2-11 and total viewers - the longest run of its kind. Nick also claims basic cable's top spot in total day with kids 2-11 and total viewers for 2Q10. According to Nielsen Media Research (3/29/10-6/27/10), Nickelodeon averaged 2.2 million total viewers; a 3.4 rating and 1.2 million K2-11; a 3.0 rating and 649,000 viewers K6-11; and 2.3 rating and 491,000 viewers T9-14 for the quarter.
Also, Nick at Nite, TeenNick, Nicktoons and Nick Jr. boast their most-watched second quarter performances ever. Nick at Nite drew its most-watched second quarter ever with total viewers (1.7 million total viewers) and finished 2Q10 as the top cable network among W18-49 (0.7 rating and 409,000 viewers).
The CW Network has set its fall premiere schedule, launching its fifth broadcast season with 10 hours of original programming of returning favorites and two new series. The season will launch all outside of premiere week, beginning on Sept. 8 with America's Next Top Model 15 and the series premiere of drama Hellcats. The next night (Sept. 9) will see the return of The Vampire Diaries and new drama Nikita. On Monday, Sept. 13, 90210 moves to its new night at 8pm, followed by the season premiere of Gossip Girl. If I were The CW, I would have had a special season premiere of 90210 on Thursday, Sept. 2 (get it? 9/02/10). Anyway, One Tree Hill launches its eighth season on a new night on Tuesday, Sept. 14, followed by the season premiere of Life UneXpected. And finally 10 days later, Friday dramas Smallville and Supernatural launch their new seasons on Friday, Sept. 24. The Friday dramas are the only CW series launching in the TV premiere week (Sept. 20-26), as the other CW series are launching between Sept. 8-14.
CBS has officially made the pick-up of sitcom Mad Love for mid-season. CBS has made some casting changes bringing on Sarah Chalke ([scrubs]) and Judy Greer (Miss Guided) to replace Minka Kelly and Lizzy Caplan respectively.
The comedy Mad Love, starring Jason Biggs, Sarah Chalke, Judy Greer and Tyler Labine, has been ordered by CBS for mid-season. Mad Love is about a quartet of single friends in New York City - two who are falling in love and two who despise each other... at least for now.
Matt Tarses and Jamie Tarses are the executive producers for Sony Pictures Entertainment in association with CBS Television Studios. Pamela Fryman directed the pilot.
Meanwhile, NBC is making some summer schedule changes...again. Rookie summer drama Persons Unknown will get one more Monday airing on July 5, then it will be moved to Saturdays at 8pm starting July 17. More repeats of America's Got Talent will be added, airing Mondays at 8pm and Sundays at 9pm. This is in addition to its regular Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 9 slots. Saturday repeats will be removed after this week (July 3). Also, the Thursday comedy block has not been repeating well, so Thursdays will have Law & Order: SVU repeats now at 10pm (in addition to the regular Wednesday at 10pm repeats) starting July 15. 8-10pm will now be Community, 30 Rock, The Office and Parks & Recreation.
View the updated NBC Summer 2010 day-by-day schedule.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, December 4
The Simpsons - "The Last Traction Hero" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
A workplace accident leaves Homer in a cast, and in a position to sue Mr. Burns. This leaves Marge unfulfilled, so she turns to an unexpected source for romance. Meanwhile, Lisa is made “Bus Monitor” and tries to keep the peace.
Son of Zorn - "Return of the Drinking Buddy" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Zorn’s old friend Headbutt Man (guest voice Rob Riggle) is coming to town. Unfortunately for Zorn, Headbutt Man is now sober. Meanwhile, Alan is invited to a party where his crush, Nancy (guest star Emily Wong), will be. Unfortunately, he has to take Headbutt man’s daughter with him.
Family Guy - "Carter and Tricia" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Carter buys the Pawtucket Patriot brewery and decides to cut some corners to save a few bucks. Peter overhears the plan and runs and tells investigative journalist Tricia Takanawa about Carter’s plan to use toxic chemicals in the beer cans. Meanwhile, Brian’s drivers’ license has expired and he enlists Stewie as an instructor.
The Last Man on Earth - "Whitney Houston, We Have a Problem" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After finding a mysterious note left by Melissa that says “Goodbye,” the gang sets off to go look for her. Meanwhile, Gail gets stuck on a solo adventure of her own.
K.C. Undercover - "Holly Holly Not So Jolly" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Christmas time arrives and K.C. tells everyone she has to go pick up a last-minute gift, but instead goes to The Organization's therapist, Dr. Levinstein.
Mech X-4 - "Let's Survive in the Woods!" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Principal Grey sets a trap for Ryan, Harris and Spyder while they're on a camping trip, which leaves MECH-X4 and Mark in danger.
Best Friends Whenever - "The Christmas Curse" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Shelby and Cyd encourage a homesick Daisy to incorporate a festive 16th-century tradition into their annual Christmas party.
Monday, December 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Gael García Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of Fuller House - The cast of Fuller House are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - Miss Piggy and Harry perform Deck the Halls on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Meredith Hagner (Search Party/Men at Work) - Meredith is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. talks about Office Christmas Party on the AOL Build Show at 3pm. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He can also be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 9:50am.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10:45am.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn talks about Kevin Can Wait on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.