Thursday, July 23, 2009
The deal includes access to existing and future episodes of Ugly Betty which will begin airing as a weekly strip on TV Guide Network in fall 2010. As part of the agreement, TVGuide.com will have rights to stream up to five Ugly Betty episodes at a time online. In addition, the deal includes repurpose rights for the upcoming fourth season of Ugly Betty premiering in October 2009 on ABC. The repeat telecast of the new episodes will air on TV Guide Network within two weeks of their premiere on ABC.
TBS is expanding the network's groundbreaking partnership with Tyler Perry and Debmar-Mercury by ordering an additional 20 episodes of the powerhouse comedy Tyler Perry's House of Payne. The order will bring the number of episodes in the series to 172, a remarkable total for any sitcom. House of Payne, along with Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns, continue to rank as the top sitcoms on cable.
House of Payne and Meet the Browns rank as ad-supported cable's top two original sitcoms of all-time among adults 18-49, viewers and households. So far in 2009, the shows are television's top two series in delivery of African-American adults 18-34. Meet the Browns also ranks as television's #1 program among African-American viewers and adults 18-49. This year, new episodes of Meet the Browns have averaged 3.2 million viewers, while new episodes of House of Payne have averaged 3 million viewers.
House of Payne is owned by Perry, distributed by Debmar-Mercury and licensed by TBS - debuted in 2006 with a test run of 10 episodes. After early results showed promise, TBS ordered a then-unprecedented 100 episodes. TBS later ordered an additional 26 episodes, followed by a deal for 26 more and the 20-episode order being announced today. The series is set in Atlanta and features LaVan Davis as fireman Curtis "Pops" Payne, a man who believes his house should be his castle, he the king and his wife, Ella (Cassi Davis), the queen. Unfortunately, their castle has turned into Grand Central Terminal, thanks to the constant comings and goings of immediate and extended family members. Lance Gross, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Allen Payne, Demetria McKinney, Larramie "Doc" Shaw and China McCain co-star.
ABC has announced premiere dates for Eastwick and Brothers & Sisters for the 2009-10 season. Eastwick will premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 10pm ET/PT, while Brothers & Sisters will launch its fourth season on Sunday, Sept. 27 at 10pm ET/PT. These two were the last of the fall premiere dates yet to be announced by ABC. Private Practice launches its third season on Thursday, Oct. 1 at 10pm ET/PT.
Recap yourself with the full ABC fall 2009 premiere dates.
Meanwhile, Wipeout, ABC's outrageously popular reality series, has been picked up for a third season. Twenty-four thrill-seekers will compete in the world's largest extreme obstacle course designed to provide the most spills, face plants and wipeouts ever seen on television. Moving nights, from Tuesday last summer to Wednesday this year, against tougher competition from Fox's time-period veteran So You Think You Can Dance, ABC's Wipeout is No. 1 during the 8 o'clock hour in Total Viewers and across each of the key Men demographics (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54). In Adults 18-49, Wipeout is a strong and very close second to Fox's Dance. Since its debut, Wipeout stands as Wednesday's No. 1 TV program in each of the Men demos (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54). It's the No. 5 TV series of Summer 2009 with Adults 18-49 and No. 1 with Men 18-49. On average to date, Wipeout is drawing ABC's largest summer audience in the Wednesday 8 o'clock hour in 13 years and highest Adults 18-49 rating during the summer frame in 10 years since 1996 and 1999, respectively.
In other summer news, ABC will launch Crash Course on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 airing Wednesdays at 9pm through and including Wednesday, Sept. 16. As of now, only four episodes are scheduled to air. The series, hosted by Orlando Jones and Dan Cortese, is a comedic auto-obstacle course series. It will air after Wipeout and will replace I Survived a Japanese Game Show, which would conclude its run the previous week.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/05 - Cheers - The Complete Series
05/12 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete Fourth Season
05/12 - The Hotwives of Orlando - The Complete First Season
05/12 - Mister Ed - The Final (Sixth) Season (Shout! Factory)
05/19 - American Dad - Volume 10
05/19 - C.P.O. Sharkey - The Complete Season 1
05/19 - The Larry Sanders Show - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Nine (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - NewsRadio - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Welcome to Sweden - The Complete First Season
05/26 - Hello Ladies - Season 1
05/26 - The Nanny - The Complete Series
05/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Third Season
05/26 - The Wonder Years - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, May 30
Bella and the Bulldogs - "No Girls Allowed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
An outdated rule about girls not being able to play football is made public before the Bulldogs' first playoff game, preventing Bella from playing. Now Bella and the team have to change the rules to make history.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "No Ifs, Ands, or But-ers" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The Quads turn their garage into an awesome hangout space, making their house the place to be. But when a notorious one-upper opens a competing hangout, the Quads have to work together to top her and regain their social status. Guest Star: Science Bob.
100 Things to Do Before High School - "Start a Garage Band Thing!" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
CJ, Fen and Crispo start a garage band with hopes of winning top prize at the school's music festival. But when creative differences break up the band, CJ must find a way to reunite the team in time for their big performance.
K.C. Undercover - "Double Crossed Part 2" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Zane has captured K.C.; the family is unaware as their rival has also created a K.C. look alike to infiltrate and destroy the Coopers.
Monday, June 1
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Mollly/Samantha Who?) - Watch Melissa on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She also talks about her new film Spy on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy visits Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. He also discusses new his film Entourage on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Hannah Simone (New Girl) - Hannah appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Rory Scovel (Ground Floor) - Rory is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me) - David drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Jonathan Groff (Looking) - Jonathan is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Regina King (227) - Regina appears on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Ana Ortiz (Kristin/A.U.S.A.) - Ana, Roselyn Sanchez and Susan Lucci chat about Devious Maids with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Ana and Roselyn also join the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. Ana will be on Morning Joe on MSNBC sometime between 6-9am. They can be heard on Shade 45 with Sway and Morning Jolt with Larry Flick on SiriusXM Radio.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy gives first interview since his tragic car accident on Inside Edition, so check your local listings. He will also be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.