Thursday, July 23, 2009
The deal includes access to existing and future episodes of Ugly Betty which will begin airing as a weekly strip on TV Guide Network in fall 2010. As part of the agreement, TVGuide.com will have rights to stream up to five Ugly Betty episodes at a time online. In addition, the deal includes repurpose rights for the upcoming fourth season of Ugly Betty premiering in October 2009 on ABC. The repeat telecast of the new episodes will air on TV Guide Network within two weeks of their premiere on ABC.
TBS is expanding the network's groundbreaking partnership with Tyler Perry and Debmar-Mercury by ordering an additional 20 episodes of the powerhouse comedy Tyler Perry's House of Payne. The order will bring the number of episodes in the series to 172, a remarkable total for any sitcom. House of Payne, along with Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns, continue to rank as the top sitcoms on cable.
House of Payne and Meet the Browns rank as ad-supported cable's top two original sitcoms of all-time among adults 18-49, viewers and households. So far in 2009, the shows are television's top two series in delivery of African-American adults 18-34. Meet the Browns also ranks as television's #1 program among African-American viewers and adults 18-49. This year, new episodes of Meet the Browns have averaged 3.2 million viewers, while new episodes of House of Payne have averaged 3 million viewers.
House of Payne is owned by Perry, distributed by Debmar-Mercury and licensed by TBS - debuted in 2006 with a test run of 10 episodes. After early results showed promise, TBS ordered a then-unprecedented 100 episodes. TBS later ordered an additional 26 episodes, followed by a deal for 26 more and the 20-episode order being announced today. The series is set in Atlanta and features LaVan Davis as fireman Curtis "Pops" Payne, a man who believes his house should be his castle, he the king and his wife, Ella (Cassi Davis), the queen. Unfortunately, their castle has turned into Grand Central Terminal, thanks to the constant comings and goings of immediate and extended family members. Lance Gross, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Allen Payne, Demetria McKinney, Larramie "Doc" Shaw and China McCain co-star.
ABC has announced premiere dates for Eastwick and Brothers & Sisters for the 2009-10 season. Eastwick will premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 10pm ET/PT, while Brothers & Sisters will launch its fourth season on Sunday, Sept. 27 at 10pm ET/PT. These two were the last of the fall premiere dates yet to be announced by ABC. Private Practice launches its third season on Thursday, Oct. 1 at 10pm ET/PT.
Recap yourself with the full ABC fall 2009 premiere dates.
Meanwhile, Wipeout, ABC's outrageously popular reality series, has been picked up for a third season. Twenty-four thrill-seekers will compete in the world's largest extreme obstacle course designed to provide the most spills, face plants and wipeouts ever seen on television. Moving nights, from Tuesday last summer to Wednesday this year, against tougher competition from Fox's time-period veteran So You Think You Can Dance, ABC's Wipeout is No. 1 during the 8 o'clock hour in Total Viewers and across each of the key Men demographics (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54). In Adults 18-49, Wipeout is a strong and very close second to Fox's Dance. Since its debut, Wipeout stands as Wednesday's No. 1 TV program in each of the Men demos (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54). It's the No. 5 TV series of Summer 2009 with Adults 18-49 and No. 1 with Men 18-49. On average to date, Wipeout is drawing ABC's largest summer audience in the Wednesday 8 o'clock hour in 13 years and highest Adults 18-49 rating during the summer frame in 10 years since 1996 and 1999, respectively.
In other summer news, ABC will launch Crash Course on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 airing Wednesdays at 9pm through and including Wednesday, Sept. 16. As of now, only four episodes are scheduled to air. The series, hosted by Orlando Jones and Dan Cortese, is a comedic auto-obstacle course series. It will air after Wipeout and will replace I Survived a Japanese Game Show, which would conclude its run the previous week.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/05 - 10 Items or Less - The Complete Series
04/05 - Episodes - The Fourth Season
04/05 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season One
04/12 - Family Matters - The Complete Sixth Season
04/12 - Grace and Frankie - Season One
04/12 - Welcome to Sweden - The Complete Second Season
04/19 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/19 - Veep - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
04/26 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official First Season
04/26 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Six
04/26 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series
04/26 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Second Season
04/29 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 29
Bunk'd - "Bride and Doom" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The campers learn about the ghost that haunts Kikiwaka; a camp wedding may be the way to rid the camp of her spirit.
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck in the Mother's Day Gift" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Instead of including the rest of her siblings, Harley decides to go solo on her Mother's Day Gift idea.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "It's a Woman's World" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Leslie and Joseph make assumptions about the other's job.
Friday, April 29
- Don Cheadle (House of Lies/The Golden Palace) - Watch Don on repeats of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC and The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) - Mark stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- David Duchovny (Californication) - David is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Juliette Lewis (I Married Dora) - Juliette appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Amanda Peet (Togetherness/Bent) - Amanda is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Garry Marshall (Creator of Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley/Mork & Mindy) - Garry talks about Mother's Day on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Nia Long (Uncle Buck/The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Nia talks about Keanu on NBC's Today in the 10am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Dave Coulier (Fulller House/Full House) - David is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Geena Davis (The Geena Davis Show/Buffalo Bill) - Geena and Susan Sarandon reunite to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Thelma & Louise on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Marilu talks about Changing Normal on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Tia Mowry-Hardict (Instant Mom/The Game/Sister, Sister) - Tia is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Ariana Neal (Nicki) - Ariana appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) and Jason Sudeikis (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Jennifer and Jason talk about Mother's Day on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.