Thursday, July 23, 2009
The deal includes access to existing and future episodes of Ugly Betty which will begin airing as a weekly strip on TV Guide Network in fall 2010. As part of the agreement, TVGuide.com will have rights to stream up to five Ugly Betty episodes at a time online. In addition, the deal includes repurpose rights for the upcoming fourth season of Ugly Betty premiering in October 2009 on ABC. The repeat telecast of the new episodes will air on TV Guide Network within two weeks of their premiere on ABC.
TBS is expanding the network's groundbreaking partnership with Tyler Perry and Debmar-Mercury by ordering an additional 20 episodes of the powerhouse comedy Tyler Perry's House of Payne. The order will bring the number of episodes in the series to 172, a remarkable total for any sitcom. House of Payne, along with Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns, continue to rank as the top sitcoms on cable.
House of Payne and Meet the Browns rank as ad-supported cable's top two original sitcoms of all-time among adults 18-49, viewers and households. So far in 2009, the shows are television's top two series in delivery of African-American adults 18-34. Meet the Browns also ranks as television's #1 program among African-American viewers and adults 18-49. This year, new episodes of Meet the Browns have averaged 3.2 million viewers, while new episodes of House of Payne have averaged 3 million viewers.
House of Payne is owned by Perry, distributed by Debmar-Mercury and licensed by TBS - debuted in 2006 with a test run of 10 episodes. After early results showed promise, TBS ordered a then-unprecedented 100 episodes. TBS later ordered an additional 26 episodes, followed by a deal for 26 more and the 20-episode order being announced today. The series is set in Atlanta and features LaVan Davis as fireman Curtis "Pops" Payne, a man who believes his house should be his castle, he the king and his wife, Ella (Cassi Davis), the queen. Unfortunately, their castle has turned into Grand Central Terminal, thanks to the constant comings and goings of immediate and extended family members. Lance Gross, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Allen Payne, Demetria McKinney, Larramie "Doc" Shaw and China McCain co-star.
ABC has announced premiere dates for Eastwick and Brothers & Sisters for the 2009-10 season. Eastwick will premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 10pm ET/PT, while Brothers & Sisters will launch its fourth season on Sunday, Sept. 27 at 10pm ET/PT. These two were the last of the fall premiere dates yet to be announced by ABC. Private Practice launches its third season on Thursday, Oct. 1 at 10pm ET/PT.
Recap yourself with the full ABC fall 2009 premiere dates.
Meanwhile, Wipeout, ABC's outrageously popular reality series, has been picked up for a third season. Twenty-four thrill-seekers will compete in the world's largest extreme obstacle course designed to provide the most spills, face plants and wipeouts ever seen on television. Moving nights, from Tuesday last summer to Wednesday this year, against tougher competition from Fox's time-period veteran So You Think You Can Dance, ABC's Wipeout is No. 1 during the 8 o'clock hour in Total Viewers and across each of the key Men demographics (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54). In Adults 18-49, Wipeout is a strong and very close second to Fox's Dance. Since its debut, Wipeout stands as Wednesday's No. 1 TV program in each of the Men demos (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54). It's the No. 5 TV series of Summer 2009 with Adults 18-49 and No. 1 with Men 18-49. On average to date, Wipeout is drawing ABC's largest summer audience in the Wednesday 8 o'clock hour in 13 years and highest Adults 18-49 rating during the summer frame in 10 years since 1996 and 1999, respectively.
In other summer news, ABC will launch Crash Course on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 airing Wednesdays at 9pm through and including Wednesday, Sept. 16. As of now, only four episodes are scheduled to air. The series, hosted by Orlando Jones and Dan Cortese, is a comedic auto-obstacle course series. It will air after Wipeout and will replace I Survived a Japanese Game Show, which would conclude its run the previous week.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)
10/06 - Bewitched - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Grace Under Fire - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Happyish - Season One
10/06 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/06 - Party Down - The Complete Series
10/06 - South Park - The Complete Eighteenth Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - C.P.O. Sharkey - Mr. Warmth: The Ultimate Don Rickles TV Collection
10/20 - The Facts of Life - Season Seven
10/20- King of the Hill - The Complete 13th Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - My Favorite Martian - The Complete Series
10/20 - Nurse Jackie - Season Seven ((Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 10
Henry Danger - "Captain Man: On Vacation" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Ray has trusted Henry and Charlotte with protecting Swellview while he's out of town at his cousin's wedding. Problems arise when they find themselves having to handle things on their own.
Game Shakers - "Tiny Pickles" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Babe and Kenzie's new game is ready, but Dub promises the world another game based on a crazy dream he had. The kids make his game and it's terrible. Feeling bad, they combine it with theirs and announce it on TV. Guest Stars: Matt Bennett, Yvette Nicole Brown.
100 Things to Do Before High School - "Join a Club Thing!" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Crispo joins the school's most popular club and Fen joins the genius group, CJ is left without her pals. Realizing it's more fun when they are together, she works to create a club that will reunite the group.
- "Basket Case" (TV Land, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Stephanie helps Aaron beat James at a game, Charlie worries that she has upset the balance of power in the family. Gabby gets caught in the middle of a fight between Stephanie and Maggie.
- "Turning a Blind Eye" (TV Land, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Maggie bribes James and Aaron to pretend to be her younger brothers when she starts dating a younger man, who happens to be blind. Gabby gets punished for having Noah over when her parents are out. Guest Star: Carlos PenaVega.
Monday, October 12
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife/The Secret Lives of Men) - Watch Bradley on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Truth Be Told/Saved by the Bell) and Tone Bell (Truth Be Told/Bad Judge) - Mark-Paul and Tone are guests on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Colin Hanks (Life in Pieces) - Colin will be on on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jussie Smollett (On Our Own) - Jussie chats about the series Empire on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Clark Gregg (The New Adventures of Old Christine) - Whoopi Goldberg tours NY Comic Con with Clark on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri guest co-hosts Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Ryan McPartlin (Living with Fran) - Ryan appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Ryan Lee (Trophy Wife) - Ryan and the cast of Goosebumps will be on the AOL Build Show at 11:30am.
- Dana Delany (The Comedians) - Dana talks about House of God on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena performs live on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am. She also appears in the 9am hour.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex) - Jenna talks about Big Stong Gap on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh will be on People Now.
- Heather Dubrow (Stark Raving Mad) - Heather is a guest on People Now.
- Chris D'Elia (Undateable/Whitney) and Brent Morin (Undateable) - Chris and Brent talk about going live for season 3 of Undateable on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.