Monday, June 30, 2008
Now Steve Harvey Show will still air on TBS in early morning slots (6-7am and other slots before that sometimes), so it seems BET has the daytime/afternoon rights, while TBS has the very late and early morning rights. ION Television also airs the show, weekdays 6-7pm, but ION is a broadcast channel, not a cable network. So the show will air on two cable networks and a national broadcast channel...so lots of exposure for this show!
Other July 2008 BET highlights include: the A Different World marathon for Sunday, July 6 has been trimmed from 6-11pm to 8-11pm because of this Steve Harvey addition. The marathons continue Sundays in July with a Diff'rent Strokes marathon from 1pm-6pm on Sunday, July 13. Two shows off the regular line-up, Thea and Sanford will get a five episode each marathon on Sunday, July 20 from 3pm-8pm, with Thea from 3-5:30pm and Sanford from 5:30-8pm.
Now this week, people have been asking is Diff'rent Strokes leaving the weekdays 3-4pm slot since it is not scheduled this week (June 30-July 4)? I sort of answered that already earlier in this story. No, it is not leaving afternoons, it is just not on this week. As of now, it is slated to air each weekday in both the 9-10am and 3-4pm weekday slots for all of July, with no preemptions. Of course, BET has a history of making last minute changes, so please keep checking back on our blog and on our message boards for the latest information!
We were informed by reader Michael Dudas that a Houston TV station is looking to create a "Bad TV" Saturday evening block. The TV station is Channel 55 in Houston called Houston's 55, or better known as The Tube.
"We're going to call it a night of Bad TV, and we're going to run it for three hours, maybe four, on Saturdays starting in October," said Channel 55 president Matt Reiff to the Houston Chronicle. "Whether it's three or four hours depends on how successful we are getting the rights to these shows. We're in the process of buying shows now for the fall. We're looking for the worst shows, I'm talking sitcoms and movies, in the history of television."
This is indeed a wonderful idea! I love it. If I were them I would add Small Wonder, Out of this World, Webster, She's the Sheriff, Harry and the Hendersons, etc. for shows that actually lasted a while but were bashed big time...some of those I actually do like, though! And some of the shows that didn't last a season and were terrible such as Emily's Reasons Why Not, Michael Richards Show, Mary (1985), Joanie Loves Chachi, Who's Watching the Kids?, Emeril, Bagdad Cafe, etc.
Can you think of sitcoms that were just plain bad that lasted a while and sitcoms that were so bad they were canceled within a season? Head on www.houstons55.com and leave them a message under "viewer comments."
Regularly Houston's 55 airs "good" shows such as Northern Exposure, Fantasy Island, Magnum P.I., Hawaii Five-0, 21 Jump Street, Star Trek, Married with Children, Steve Harvey, and Renegade.
And how will they present this night of Bad TV? "Each night, we'll have three lousy hosts introducing the lousy shows, and we'll let viewers vote off one of the hosts," Reiff said. "We don't know if we're going to vote off the best host or the worst host. "Oh, and we're going to give away prizes to viewers throughout the show. Prizes will be trips to exotic places, like Paris." Paris, Texas, that is. "And we won't send them to Paris without spending money. How's $55 sound? "Bad TV, bad hosts and bad prizes ... this is going to be great." I agree! Head on over to their website and think of bad TV shows that are so bad that you would want to watch...they could be so bad that you like them (like Small Wonder)! Houston fans are very lucky to have this! We will bring you up to date news as soon as we hear something, such as what shows they have acquired.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 26
Liv and Maddie - "Neighbors-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Liv rekindles her friendship with Holden Dippledorf in the midst of a family feud; Joey meets someone new at his Intergalactic Council meeting.
Dog with a Blog - "Stan Sleep Talks" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Stan starts talking in his sleep; the kids ask Bennett for psychological advice to help Stan with his problem.
Thursday, March 26
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Catch Zooey on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jimmie Walker (Good Times/At Ease/Bustin' Loose) - Jimmie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elisha Cuthbert (One Big Happy/Happy Endings) - Elisha appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. She also hangs at the kitchen table on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Natasha Leggero (Free Agents) - Natasha is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Elle Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/The Office) - Elle stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Dakota Johnson (Ben and Kate) - Dakota appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Regina King (227) - Regina stops by The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations. She talks about dating in Hollywood and reveals behind the scenes secrets from the set of the hit show Scandal on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Tom Arnold (Roseanne/Tom/The Tom Show) - Tom is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. (Freddie) - Freddie appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda guest hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Penelope Ann Miller (A Minute with Stan Hooper/The Popcorn Kid) - Penelope talks about her new series American Crime on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy talks about Mr. Selfridge and Entourage on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Bella Thorne (Shake It Up) - Bella chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Richard Kind (Mad About You/Spin City) - Richard is tentatively scheduled to appear on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kelsey Grammer (Partners/Frasier/Cheers) - Kelsey is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy will be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 7:40am.