Monday, June 30, 2008
Now Steve Harvey Show will still air on TBS in early morning slots (6-7am and other slots before that sometimes), so it seems BET has the daytime/afternoon rights, while TBS has the very late and early morning rights. ION Television also airs the show, weekdays 6-7pm, but ION is a broadcast channel, not a cable network. So the show will air on two cable networks and a national broadcast channel...so lots of exposure for this show!
Other July 2008 BET highlights include: the A Different World marathon for Sunday, July 6 has been trimmed from 6-11pm to 8-11pm because of this Steve Harvey addition. The marathons continue Sundays in July with a Diff'rent Strokes marathon from 1pm-6pm on Sunday, July 13. Two shows off the regular line-up, Thea and Sanford will get a five episode each marathon on Sunday, July 20 from 3pm-8pm, with Thea from 3-5:30pm and Sanford from 5:30-8pm.
Now this week, people have been asking is Diff'rent Strokes leaving the weekdays 3-4pm slot since it is not scheduled this week (June 30-July 4)? I sort of answered that already earlier in this story. No, it is not leaving afternoons, it is just not on this week. As of now, it is slated to air each weekday in both the 9-10am and 3-4pm weekday slots for all of July, with no preemptions. Of course, BET has a history of making last minute changes, so please keep checking back on our blog and on our message boards for the latest information!
We were informed by reader Michael Dudas that a Houston TV station is looking to create a "Bad TV" Saturday evening block. The TV station is Channel 55 in Houston called Houston's 55, or better known as The Tube.
"We're going to call it a night of Bad TV, and we're going to run it for three hours, maybe four, on Saturdays starting in October," said Channel 55 president Matt Reiff to the Houston Chronicle. "Whether it's three or four hours depends on how successful we are getting the rights to these shows. We're in the process of buying shows now for the fall. We're looking for the worst shows, I'm talking sitcoms and movies, in the history of television."
This is indeed a wonderful idea! I love it. If I were them I would add Small Wonder, Out of this World, Webster, She's the Sheriff, Harry and the Hendersons, etc. for shows that actually lasted a while but were bashed big time...some of those I actually do like, though! And some of the shows that didn't last a season and were terrible such as Emily's Reasons Why Not, Michael Richards Show, Mary (1985), Joanie Loves Chachi, Who's Watching the Kids?, Emeril, Bagdad Cafe, etc.
Can you think of sitcoms that were just plain bad that lasted a while and sitcoms that were so bad they were canceled within a season? Head on www.houstons55.com and leave them a message under "viewer comments."
Regularly Houston's 55 airs "good" shows such as Northern Exposure, Fantasy Island, Magnum P.I., Hawaii Five-0, 21 Jump Street, Star Trek, Married with Children, Steve Harvey, and Renegade.
And how will they present this night of Bad TV? "Each night, we'll have three lousy hosts introducing the lousy shows, and we'll let viewers vote off one of the hosts," Reiff said. "We don't know if we're going to vote off the best host or the worst host. "Oh, and we're going to give away prizes to viewers throughout the show. Prizes will be trips to exotic places, like Paris." Paris, Texas, that is. "And we won't send them to Paris without spending money. How's $55 sound? "Bad TV, bad hosts and bad prizes ... this is going to be great." I agree! Head on over to their website and think of bad TV shows that are so bad that you would want to watch...they could be so bad that you like them (like Small Wonder)! Houston fans are very lucky to have this! We will bring you up to date news as soon as we hear something, such as what shows they have acquired.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)
07/07 - Archie Bunker's Place - Season One (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season
07/07 - Married with Children - Season Eleven (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Married with Children - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
07/07 - The Michael J. Fox Show - The Complete First Season
07/07 - Playing House - Season 1
07/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
07/14 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season
07/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites - Season 7
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, July 28
Fresh Off the Boat - "Dribbling Tiger, Bounce Pass Dragon" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Louis and Jessica get pressured into volunteering at the kids’ schools because of budget cuts. Eddie sees a whole other side of his dad when Louis – a former semi-pro basketball player back in Taiwan — coaches the basketball team, while Emery and Evan see a side of Jessica they wish they hadn’t when she grudgingly takes on producing their school play, and puts her own spin on it.
black-ish - "Big Night, Big Fight" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Although Dre and Rainbow find they always end up quarreling on their annual Valentine’s Day date, this time around, Dre is determined to do everything right and keep the peace. Meanwhile, Diane realizes she may not have received many Valentine’s cards because she is too critical, so her siblings decide to teach her how to give a compliment.
Clipped - "Mo's Ma" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
As Mo tries to come to terms with his parents divorce, the gang has additional insight as to why they might be splitting. A.J. accuses Danni of being jealous when she finds out he has a date.
Tuesday, July 28
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Catch Danny on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Natasha Leggero (Another Period/Free Agents) - Natasha drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Michael Rapaport (The War at Home) - Michael visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Parker Posey (The Return of Jezebel James) - Parker talks about her film Irrational Man on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Julie Bowen (Modern Family) - Julie appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) and Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Anthony and Tracee dish about black-ish on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Brad Garrett ('Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad is a guest on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- B.J. Novak (The Office) - B.J. appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Zendaya (K.C. Undercover) - Zendaya chats on The Boris and Nicole Show on select Fox-owned stations, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly and her husband Rodney are guests on The Boris and Nicole Show on select Fox-owned stations, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine (The Carmichael Show/The PJs/A Different World) - Loretta appears on The Boris and Nicole Show, so check your local listings.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Jesse/Married with Children) - Christina talks Vacation on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Dove Cameron (Liv and Maddie) - Dove talks about the Disney movie Desendants on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.