Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Benson, the popular butler from Soap, takes on a new, challenge—maintaining order in the household of a widowed governor—and the result is a hilarious. Benson has agreed to help Gov. Gatling and his young daughter, Katie, settle into the executive mansion as a favor to Jessica Tate, the governor's cousin. In effect, Benson, who for years has been the only thoroughly sane adult in the Tate household, moves from one very mixed up family to another.
In his new position, Benson, as always, will be his own man and, besides coping with the wild and wonderful interrelationships in the executive mansion, will have time for a personal life of his own. Benson even falls in love. He confronts a lot of bureaucracy, and because of his close friendship with the governor, he often will have the enviable opportunity to cut through overwhelming red tape. By season six, Benson is being elected lieutenant governor, Gretchen Kraus becoming his aide, noted character actress/comedienne Billie Bird joining the cast, and the filming of a special two-part episode in Hong Kong. Although Benson will became the lieutenant governor, he still remains involved in the uproarious activities of the state chief executive's household.
Robert Guillaume stars as Benson. Other stars are James Noble as Gov. Gatling; Missy Gold as his precocious daughter, Katie; Inga Swenson as the formidable housekeeper, Ms. Gretchen Kraus; and Caroline McWilliams as the governor's secretary, Marcy. Rene Auberjonois as Clayton, Ethan Phillips as Pete, Didi Conn as Denise, and Billie Bird as Mrs. Cassidy also star later in the series.
Now that Benson has been announced. As I said before, two other sitcoms remain for 2006. What do you think they will be? I will only give one hint. It will be in the same era as the four that have already been announced (Good Times, Night Court, What's Happening!!, Benson). To share what you think will be coming, click here. Now if Sony can only bring on the DVD of Benson, all will be be even more well!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - Season Seven - The Farewell Season
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series
06/02 - Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
06/02 - The Abbott and Costello Show - The Ultimate Collection
06/09 - The Facts of Life - Season Six
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 7 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 7 & 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series
06/16 - The Odd Couple - The Complete Series
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Twelfth and Final Season
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Series
06/23 - George Lopez - The Complete Fourth Season
06/23 - Workaholics - Season Five (Blu-ray)
06/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 3 (MPI Home Video)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, July 3
Love Thy Neighbor - "Caroline and P.J." (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Linda has a hard time figuring out how to tell P.J. and Caroline that she is engaged to their father.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Ronald and Maggie" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Linda meets Phillip's ex in-laws; her family comes a long.
Friday, July 3
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada is a guest on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Craig Robinson (The Office) - Craig chats on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee appears on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- J.K. Simmons (Growing Up Fisher/Family Tools) - J.K. talks about Terminator: Genisys on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Brittany Daniel (The Game/That '80s Show/Sweet Valley High) - Brittany discusses what to expect in the final season of The Game on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Derek Theler (Baby Daddy) - Derek is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Ari Parker (Second Time Around) - Nicole appears with her husband Boris Kodjoe on People Now.
- Malin Akerman (Sin City Saints/Trophy Wife) - Malin will be on People Now.