Thursday, September 15, 2016
truTV, a division of Turner, has greenlit the Andrea Savage-helmed comedy, I'm Sorry. Created by and starring Savage (Veep, Episodes, Sleeping with Other People), the half-hour series follows seemingly confident, together comedy writer, wife and mom Andrea (played by Savage), who comically exposes her inner immaturity and neuroses through unexpected life situations. Joining Savage in this 10-episode first season order are series regulars Tom Everett Scott (Southland) as Andrea's more straitlaced husband Mike and newcomer Olive Petrucci as Andrea and Mike's inquisitive daughter Amelia. I'm Sorry is set to launch on truTV in 2017 and will feature a supporting cast of characters that round out the various facets of Andrea's world, such as Jason Mantzoukas (The House, The League), Judy Greer (Arrested Development) and June Squibb (Nebraska) in guest-starring roles in the series' first episode. This greenlight marks truTV's third scripted comedy series, following Those Who Can't, the half-hour comedy starring the comedy troupe The Grawlix as trouble-making high school teachers, and the recently-announced comedy anthology series Bobcat Goldthwait's Messed Up Stories which will premiere on truTV in 2017.
Atlanta, the acclaimed new comedy series created by and starring Donald Glover, scored the best audience of any basic cable primetime scripted comedy in over three years in the key 18-49 demographic. On a Live+3 basis, the total audience delivery for the series premiere telecast and encore airings was 3 million Total Viewers and 1.9 million Adults 18-49. The premiere telecast (Tuesday, September 6, 2016; 10PM-10:35PM) was basic cable's most-watched scripted primetime comedy debut in Adults 18-49 (1.2 million) since the April 2013 series premiere of Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central). In Total Viewers, Atlanta was basic cable's second most-watched scripted primetime comedy series premiere in the last two years (1.8 million), behind only Wrecked (TBS) earlier this year. The premiere telecast was followed immediately by the second episode, which held 90% of Total Viewers (1.6 million) and 92% of Adults 18-49 (1.1 million).
Among FX Networks series, Atlanta is FX's most-watched original comedy series premiere in both Adults 18-49 and Total Viewers since Wilfred's premiere in June 2011. The Live+3 lift of the series premiere of Atlanta in Adults 18-49 (72%) and Total Viewers (68%) was one of the highest among FX comedy series premieres, behind Baskets in Adults 18-49 (80%) and Total Viewers (69%). In January, the series premiere of the FX comedy series Baskets was the most-watched basic cable primetime comedy series premiere since 2014 in both Adults 18-49 and Total Viewers on a Live+3 basis. In Atlanta, two cousins work through the Atlanta music scene in order to better their lives and the lives of their families. "Earn Marks" (Donald Glover) is a young manager trying to get his cousin's career off the ground. "Alfred Miles" (Brian Tyree Henry) is a new hot rapper trying to understand the line between real life and street life. "Darius" (Lakeith Lee Stanfield) is Alfred's right-hand man and visionary. "Van" (Zazie Beetz) is Earn's best friend and the mother of Earn's daughter.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.