Thursday, September 15, 2016
truTV, a division of Turner, has greenlit the Andrea Savage-helmed comedy, I'm Sorry. Created by and starring Savage (Veep, Episodes, Sleeping with Other People), the half-hour series follows seemingly confident, together comedy writer, wife and mom Andrea (played by Savage), who comically exposes her inner immaturity and neuroses through unexpected life situations. Joining Savage in this 10-episode first season order are series regulars Tom Everett Scott (Southland) as Andrea's more straitlaced husband Mike and newcomer Olive Petrucci as Andrea and Mike's inquisitive daughter Amelia. I'm Sorry is set to launch on truTV in 2017 and will feature a supporting cast of characters that round out the various facets of Andrea's world, such as Jason Mantzoukas (The House, The League), Judy Greer (Arrested Development) and June Squibb (Nebraska) in guest-starring roles in the series' first episode. This greenlight marks truTV's third scripted comedy series, following Those Who Can't, the half-hour comedy starring the comedy troupe The Grawlix as trouble-making high school teachers, and the recently-announced comedy anthology series Bobcat Goldthwait's Messed Up Stories which will premiere on truTV in 2017.
Atlanta, the acclaimed new comedy series created by and starring Donald Glover, scored the best audience of any basic cable primetime scripted comedy in over three years in the key 18-49 demographic. On a Live+3 basis, the total audience delivery for the series premiere telecast and encore airings was 3 million Total Viewers and 1.9 million Adults 18-49. The premiere telecast (Tuesday, September 6, 2016; 10PM-10:35PM) was basic cable's most-watched scripted primetime comedy debut in Adults 18-49 (1.2 million) since the April 2013 series premiere of Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central). In Total Viewers, Atlanta was basic cable's second most-watched scripted primetime comedy series premiere in the last two years (1.8 million), behind only Wrecked (TBS) earlier this year. The premiere telecast was followed immediately by the second episode, which held 90% of Total Viewers (1.6 million) and 92% of Adults 18-49 (1.1 million).
Among FX Networks series, Atlanta is FX's most-watched original comedy series premiere in both Adults 18-49 and Total Viewers since Wilfred's premiere in June 2011. The Live+3 lift of the series premiere of Atlanta in Adults 18-49 (72%) and Total Viewers (68%) was one of the highest among FX comedy series premieres, behind Baskets in Adults 18-49 (80%) and Total Viewers (69%). In January, the series premiere of the FX comedy series Baskets was the most-watched basic cable primetime comedy series premiere since 2014 in both Adults 18-49 and Total Viewers on a Live+3 basis. In Atlanta, two cousins work through the Atlanta music scene in order to better their lives and the lives of their families. "Earn Marks" (Donald Glover) is a young manager trying to get his cousin's career off the ground. "Alfred Miles" (Brian Tyree Henry) is a new hot rapper trying to understand the line between real life and street life. "Darius" (Lakeith Lee Stanfield) is Alfred's right-hand man and visionary. "Van" (Zazie Beetz) is Earn's best friend and the mother of Earn's daughter.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.