Wednesday, August 17, 2016
getTV brings one of television's most beloved couples back to the forefront, as the network welcomes former husband-and-wife duo Sonny and Cher -- comprised of accomplished songwriter Sonny Bono, and legendary songstress Cher -- to its popular Monday Night Variety Block. The weekly lineup handpicks some of the best episodes from the hit variety series The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, Cher, and The Sonny & Cher Show, airing every Monday at 8 p.m. ET, starting on September 12. Many of these episodes have not been seen on television in over a decade. Watch a video clip. The block kicks off with three weeks of the then-married singing duo's debut series The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, starting with the original 1971 premiere on September 12, featuring multi-talented entertainer Jimmy Durante; followed by All in the Family star Jean Stapleton (September 19); and fan-favorite Andy Griffith (September 26). Other featured episodes will include guest appearances by Frankie Valli, Ricardo Montalban, Harvey Korman, Jim Brown, Burt Reynolds, Joe Namath, Chuck Berry, and Merv Griffin, among others.
Throughout the year, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour will share its timeslot with rare episodes of Cher's 1975 solo series Cher, and the duo's 1976 reunion series The Sonny & Cher Show. Cher, which was spawned following the couple's divorce in 1974, features the two-time Oscar® winner performing side-by-side with legendary guests such as Elton John, David Bowie, Bette Midler, Patti LaBelle's LaBelle trio, The Jackson 5, and then-husband Gregg Allman, and puts her devastating wit on full display in skits and field reports with comedy pioneers Lily Tomlin, Flip Wilson, and Carol Burnett. Although a success with viewers, the series was brought to an end when Cher made the decision to partner up with Sonny once again.
Additionally, the lineup will feature the duo's 1976 reunion series The Sonny & Cher Show, which adopted their previous hit's format with all-new sketches and songs, as well as performances of some of the pair's biggest hits. getTV's featured episodes will include guest appearances by Muhammad Ali, Betty White, Bob Hope, Farrah Fawcett, Don Knotts, and Redd Foxx, among others. The series stands out for presenting Sonny and Cher in a way rarely seen before, as the more subdued pair frequently referenced their divorce, and Cher's re-marriage and pregnancy, in monologues that were simultaneously candid and humorous.
Beginning this fall, celebrities are landing the role of their dreams, stepping into their favorite restaurant kitchens for a culinary crash course - cooking on the line with their favorite chef. The Star Plates celebrities, including Erin Andrews, Colin Hanks, Alyson Hannigan, Mindy Kaling, Minka Kelly and Busy Philipps are thrown into the fire, working side-by-side with the professional restaurant chef, these celebrities will learn how to make their favorite dishes and must help service a dining room full of hungry, paying customers. Each star will have an experience unlike any part they have ever played, finding out if they have what it takes to make it inside a professional kitchen. Chefs Vinny Dotolo, Susan Feniger, Marcus Samuelsson, Michael Voltaggio, Dakota Weiss and Geoffrey Zakarian will each mentor and attempt to teach one of these famous foodies the main ingredients needed to create restaurant quality dishes. Tune in to find out which stars shine brightest when the Star Plates are served beginning Tuesday, September 27 at 11pm ET/PT on Food Network!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
The Good Place - "Mindy St. Claire" / "Michael's Gambit" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the help of Chidi (William Jackson Harper) and Tahani (Jameela Jamil), Michael (Ted Danson) faces his biggest challenge yet. Meanwhile, Eleanor (Kristen Bell), Jianyu (Manny Jacinto) and Janet (D'Arcy Carden) are faced with a monumental decision.
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) and her friends contemplate their fates in the Good Place.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.