Wednesday, August 17, 2016
getTV brings one of television's most beloved couples back to the forefront, as the network welcomes former husband-and-wife duo Sonny and Cher -- comprised of accomplished songwriter Sonny Bono, and legendary songstress Cher -- to its popular Monday Night Variety Block. The weekly lineup handpicks some of the best episodes from the hit variety series The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, Cher, and The Sonny & Cher Show, airing every Monday at 8 p.m. ET, starting on September 12. Many of these episodes have not been seen on television in over a decade. Watch a video clip. The block kicks off with three weeks of the then-married singing duo's debut series The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, starting with the original 1971 premiere on September 12, featuring multi-talented entertainer Jimmy Durante; followed by All in the Family star Jean Stapleton (September 19); and fan-favorite Andy Griffith (September 26). Other featured episodes will include guest appearances by Frankie Valli, Ricardo Montalban, Harvey Korman, Jim Brown, Burt Reynolds, Joe Namath, Chuck Berry, and Merv Griffin, among others.
Throughout the year, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour will share its timeslot with rare episodes of Cher's 1975 solo series Cher, and the duo's 1976 reunion series The Sonny & Cher Show. Cher, which was spawned following the couple's divorce in 1974, features the two-time Oscar® winner performing side-by-side with legendary guests such as Elton John, David Bowie, Bette Midler, Patti LaBelle's LaBelle trio, The Jackson 5, and then-husband Gregg Allman, and puts her devastating wit on full display in skits and field reports with comedy pioneers Lily Tomlin, Flip Wilson, and Carol Burnett. Although a success with viewers, the series was brought to an end when Cher made the decision to partner up with Sonny once again.
Additionally, the lineup will feature the duo's 1976 reunion series The Sonny & Cher Show, which adopted their previous hit's format with all-new sketches and songs, as well as performances of some of the pair's biggest hits. getTV's featured episodes will include guest appearances by Muhammad Ali, Betty White, Bob Hope, Farrah Fawcett, Don Knotts, and Redd Foxx, among others. The series stands out for presenting Sonny and Cher in a way rarely seen before, as the more subdued pair frequently referenced their divorce, and Cher's re-marriage and pregnancy, in monologues that were simultaneously candid and humorous.
Beginning this fall, celebrities are landing the role of their dreams, stepping into their favorite restaurant kitchens for a culinary crash course - cooking on the line with their favorite chef. The Star Plates celebrities, including Erin Andrews, Colin Hanks, Alyson Hannigan, Mindy Kaling, Minka Kelly and Busy Philipps are thrown into the fire, working side-by-side with the professional restaurant chef, these celebrities will learn how to make their favorite dishes and must help service a dining room full of hungry, paying customers. Each star will have an experience unlike any part they have ever played, finding out if they have what it takes to make it inside a professional kitchen. Chefs Vinny Dotolo, Susan Feniger, Marcus Samuelsson, Michael Voltaggio, Dakota Weiss and Geoffrey Zakarian will each mentor and attempt to teach one of these famous foodies the main ingredients needed to create restaurant quality dishes. Tune in to find out which stars shine brightest when the Star Plates are served beginning Tuesday, September 27 at 11pm ET/PT on Food Network!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 24
Kevin Can Wait - "Beat the Parents" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Kevin and Donna are thrilled when their son, Jack, makes friends with a boy from school, Grayden (Graydon Peter Yosowitz), however, when Donna and Kevin don’t hit it off with Grayden’s arrogant father, Vic (Ray Romano), and his pushy wife, Brandi (Lindsay Broad), they set out to sabotage the boys’ new friendship. Matt Romano guest stars as Vic’s second son, Braden.
Man with a Plan - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc stars as Adam, a contractor who starts spending more time with his three kids when his wife, Andi, goes back to work and discovers the truth all parents eventually realize—their little angels are maniacs.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Godmama Drama" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Oleg and Sophie’s plan to have Max and Caroline as Barbara’s godparents is derailed when Oleg’s domineering mother, Olga (Mercedes Ruehl), arrives from the Ukraine for the baby’s baptism and fires Max and Caroline from their godparent duties.
The Odd Couple - "Food Fight" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar learns that his favorite hangout, Langford’s, is in financial trouble, he impulsively asks Felix to help save it, without considering the disastrous consequences. Also, Felix tries to make his mark on the restaurant when the owner, Fred Langford (Fred Willard), puts him in charge for a few days.
Monday, October 24
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kate Micucci (Raising Hope/The Big Bang Theory) - Kate is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.