Monday, August 29, 2016
getTV gets you through the dog days of summer with a September lineup of cinematic favorites featuring award-winning dramas, side-splitting comedies, and beloved stars. The month includes a special In the Heat of the Night Labor Day Marathon; as well as a final salute to The Judy Garland Show; a new Monday Night Variety Block featuring the addition of Sonny & Cher at 8 p.m. ET; and modern classics starring Sylvester Stallone, Brad Pitt, Robert Redford and Matt Damon; among others. Spend the day with the brave law enforcement officers of Sparta, Mississippi, in this special In the Heat of the Night Labor Day Marathon starting at 6am featuring every two-hour episode from the acclaimed series starring Carroll O’Connor, Alan Autry, Howard E. Rollins Jr., and Carl Weathers. getTV’s Monday Variety Block bids farewell to Judy Garland with a trio of unforgettable episodes of The Judy Garland Show on Sept. 5 at 8pm.
getTV continues its tribute to The Merv Griffin Show, putting the spotlight on some of the groundbreaking talk show's most classic episodes from the '70s and '80s every Monday at 10 p.m. ET beginning Sept. 12. This month boasts a trio of star-studded episodes, kicking off with singer-songwriter Barry Manilow in an early appearance, as well as comedy power couple Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara (September 12); followed by The Golden Girls stars Betty White, Rue McClanahan, Bea Arthur, and Estelle Getty (September 19); and folk icon John Denver (September 26).
Production started last week in Los Angeles on the new Freeform comedy pilot Alone Together by The Lonely Island team of Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone and Akiva Schaffer. In addition to series stars Esther Povitsky (Lady Dynamite, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) and Benji Aflalo (Not Safe with Nikki Glaser), Freeform has cast guest stars Chris D'Elia (Undateable), Ginger Gonzaga (Wrecked, Mixology), Edgar Blackmon (Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping), Hayley Marie Norman (Adam Ruins Everything), Kamilla Alnes (American Horror Story), Jim O'Heir (Parks and Recreation) and Justine Lupe (Younger).
Alone Together is a half-hour, single-camera comedy about two overlooked millennial misfits from different backgrounds trying to make their way into the vain and status-obsessed culture of Los Angeles only to find salvation in their male/female strictly platonic friendship. Esther Povitsky, Benji Aflalo and Eben Russell (Last Man Standing) serve as writers and executive producers on the pilot. Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone, Akiva Schaffer, Billy Rosenberg and Hunter Covington also serve as executive producers. Daniel Gray Longino (Lady Dynamite, Portlandia) will direct the pilot.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.