Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Remembering Abe Vigoda, Antenna TV and Cozi TV to Pay Tribute; Love Is in the Air on Antenna TV This Valentine's Day
Character actor Abe Vigoda, who was best known for his role as Detective Phil Fish in Barney Miller and its spinoff Fish, has died. He died on January 26 in his sleep at his daughter's home in Woodland Park, New Jersey. Mr. Vigoda was 94.
Vigoda landed the role of Detective Phil Fish in Barney Miller in 1975. Fish was the senior detective on the squad of the 12th Precinct station. He was crotchety, near retirement and always suffering through some physical ailment, such as bladder problems and hemorrhoids. Fish was frequently on the phone dealing with a minor marital crisis with his wife, Bernice (Florence Stanley).
Vigoda was a regular on the show for the first three seasons. He retired from the police force in the second episode of the fourth season, though he returned for two guest appearances later in season four and season seven. Vigoda received Emmy nominations for "Outstanding Continuing Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series" in 1976-1977 and "Outstanding Single Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Comedy or Drama Series" in 1978.
Fish was such a popular character that he got his own spinoff series in 1977. Fish aired on ABC for two seasons from 1977-1978. It presented the domestic side of Fish's life, as he and his wife served as foster parents for a number of troubled children who were PINS (Persons in Need of Supervision). The series starred Florence Stanley, Lenny Bari, Todd Bridges, John Cassisi, Denise Miller, Sarah Nataolio and Barry Gordon.
Some of his other television guest appearances included Dark Shadows, Mannix, The Rookies, Toma, Hawaii Five-0, Kojak, Cannon, The Bionic Woman, Vega$, The Rockford Files, Fantasy Island, B.J. and the Bear, Superboy, Santa Barbara, MacGyver, Murder, She Wrote, Diagnosis Murder and Law & Order. His sitcom guest appearances included Love, American Style, The Love Boat, Harper Valley, P.T.A., Weird Science, Wings, Mad About You and Norm.
His best-known film role was that of elder mobster Salvatore Tessio in Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather in 1972. He also appeared briefly in The Godfather Part II in a flashback sequence at the end of the film. Some of his other film credits included Newman's Law, The Cheap Detective, Cannonball Run II, Keaton's Cop, Look Who's Talking, Prancer, Joe Versus the Volcano, Sugar Hill, Jury Duty, Good Burger and Witness to the Mob.
Survivors include his daughter, Carol Vigoda Fuchs, three grandchildren, and a great-grandson.
Mr. Vigoda was a fine character actor. Fish was such a funny and memorable character. He lived a long, good life. He will be deeply missed.
Antenna TV, Tribune Broadcasting's digital multicast channel will commemorate the life of actor Abe Vigoda with "Remembering Abe Vigoda: Barney Miller Marathon" a 12-episode/6 hour Barney Miller marathon airing on Saturday, January 30 from 4-10pm ET. Antenna TV, which this year expanded to clearances on 125 stations across the country (including 49 of the top 50 markets) reaching 88% of TV households, will air the following episodes of Barney Miller:
4p The Experience
6p The Kid
6:30p The Mole
7:30p Smog Alert
8p Group Home
9p Goodbye, Mr. Fish (1)
9:30p Goodbye, Mr. Fish (2)
Barney Miller regularly airs on Antenna TV weekdays from 12-1am and on Saturdays from 9-10p ET.
This week Cozi TV honors Abe Vigoda, a beloved actor and gentle man who captured the hearts of audiences on and off the stage. Starting Wednesday night and continuing into the weekend we will air special episodes Abe appeared in on The Bionic Woman, Murder, She Wrote, and Fantasy Island. Join us in bidding a true gentleman farewell.Posted by Cozi TV on Tuesday, January 26, 2016
This week Cozi TV honors Abe Vigoda, a beloved actor and gentle man who captured the hearts of audiences on and off the stage. Starting Wednesday night and continuing into the weekend they will air special episodes Abe appeared in on The Bionic Woman, Murder, She Wrote and Fantasy Island. Join them in bidding a true gentleman farewell.
Sticking to Antenna TV, love is in the air this Valentine's Day on Antenna TV, Tribune Broadcasting's digital multicast channel. Antenna TV will celebrate the most romantic day of the year with 24-hours of romance themed episodes of your favorite classic TV programs beginning at 5am ET on Sunday, February 14. Antenna TV will air its schedule in regular pattern from 5am-5am ET with timeless TV episodes featuring struggles of the heart. Programming includes: The Burns and Allen Show, Doogie Howser, M.D., Evening Shade, Dear John, Family Ties, The Jack Benny Program, Gidget, My Mother the Car, Mister Ed, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Green Acres, The Monkees, The Partridge Family, Newhart, Three's Company, The Jeffersons, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Johnny Carson.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.