Tuesday, January 13, 2015
TCA Winter 2015 Press Tour: CBS, Showtime; Greg Brady Returns to TV on GAC, Even Reunites with Marcia!
CBS was up next at the TCA Winter 2015 Press Tour yesterday and we have the full scoop! Showtime was also up and we will detail some of their moves as well, but first CBS announced that the hit freshman dramas NCIS: New Orleans, Madam Secretary and Scorpion have all been renewed for the 2015-2016 broadcast season. No decision has been announced for freshman sitcom The McCarthys. In other news, CBS also announced that Late Show with Stephen Cobert will debut Tuesday, Sept. 8 at 11:35PM ET/PT from the historic Ed Sullivan Theater in New York City. Colbert was named David Letterman's successor on April 10, 2014. As previously announced, Letterman will host his final broadcast on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 (the last night of the 2014-15 TV season).
Onto the Showtime news, Hot off its season five premiere this past Sunday, Showtime has ordered a sixth season of Shameless. The series received a 12-episode order, with production on season six starting later this year. The network will pick up the new comedy series Happyish starring Oscar(R) and Golden Globe(R) nominee Steve Coogan, Kathryn Hahn and Emmy(R) Award winner and Golden Globe nominee Bradley Whitford. The series is a comedic, soul-searching examination of our pursuit of happiness and why it continues to be so elusive. Happyish, which shoots in New York, will premiere on Sunday, April 26 at 9:30pm ET/PT, immediately following Nurse Jackie airing at 9pm, and followed by the premiere of the second season of the Showtime drama series Penny Dreadful at 10pm. And the highly touted pilot gets bigger. Rounding out the casting of the new Showtime comedy pilot Roadies, rapper and actor Colson "MGK" Baker (aka Machine Gun Kelly) is set to star in the role of Jesse, Kelly Ann's (Imogen Poots) big hearted twin brother, who thrives around guitars and espresso machines. Roadies follows the day-to-day life of a successful rock tour as seen through the eyes of music's unsung heroes - the crew members who get the show on the road. Luke Wilson, five-time Emmy(R) Award nominee Christina Hendricks (Mad Men), Imogen Poots (The Look of Love), Rafe Spall (One Day), Peter Cambor (NCIS: Los Angeles) and Academy Award(R) nominee Keisha Castle-Hughes (Whale Rider) were previously announced as stars of the ensemble cast. The one-hour comedy pilot will begin production in Vancouver later this week.
And Twin Peaks is back 25 years later...in 2016! Golden Globe winner and Emmy(R) Award nominee Kyle MacLachlan will reprise his role as FBI Agent Dale Cooper when the critically-acclaimed, ground breaking television phenomenon Twin Peaks returns as a new limited series on Showtime. Series creators and executive producers David Lynch and Mark Frost are on board to write and produce all nine episodes of the limited series. Four-time Oscar(R) nominee David Lynch will direct every episode. Twin Peaks will go into production in 2015 to air on the network in 2016, marking the 25th anniversary of when the program last aired. Set in the present day, Twin Peaks will continue the lore of the original series, providing long-awaited answers for the series' passionate fan base. The announcement was made today by Showtime Networks President David Nevins and MacLachlan at the Television Critics Association's annual Winter Press Tour.
And here's a story! From the network that airs Off the Map With Shannen & Holly starring Shannen Doherty and Holly Marie Combs (Charmed), brings you another fun series! Hollywood heads to Missouri in GAC's (Great American Country) newest original series A Very Barry Branson. The series, featuring television's most reliable big brother Barry Williams ("Greg" from The Brady Bunch) as he launches a 1970s musical variety show in the Show-Me State, premieres Thursday, Feb. 5, at 9pm ET/PT. In A Very Barry Branson, Barry learns that to create a successful and fun live music show that harkens back to the era of The Brady Bunch, bright-colored leisure suits, roller skating and vinyl records, this Hollywood fixture has to do more than just show up and sing - he has to become a bona fide Bransonite. Eager to win over the tightknit community, Barry befriends Branson's popular music group The Haygoods, who soon have the television icon cliff jumping at the lake, jet-packing from the balcony of the theater, and learning to trout fish - a task that proves just what a fish out of water this city boy is. From performing at timeshare mixers to auditioning a slew of local performers including a break-dancing granny and a man who plays a bike pump, Barry pulls out all the stops - even arranging a long-awaited reunion with his Brady Bunch sister Maureen McCormick, whom he takes on a Branson tour. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, December 5
Kevin Can Wait - "Kevin's Bringing Supper Back" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Kevin’s resolve to spend more quality time with his family is put to the ultimate test when his buddies surprise him with concert tickets to his favorite musician, fellow Long Islander Billy Joel. Multiple Grammy Award-winning pianist, singer and songwriter Billy Joel appears as himself.
Man with a Plan - "Holey War" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the kids won’t admit who put a hole in the wall, Adam and Andi team up to get the culprit to confess.
2 Broke Girls - "And the About FaceTime" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Randy and Max get tired of Caroline being the third wheel on their FaceTime dates, Randy sets her up with one of his co-workers. Also, Oleg is distraught when Sophie tells him to trade in his beloved car for a minivan.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Celebration Experimentation" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After more than nine years together, the gang finally celebrates Sheldon’s birthday, surprising him with a special guest. Christine Baranski, John Ross Bowie, Sara Gilbert and Wil Wheaton return, joined by special guest star Adam West.
American Dad - "Bahama Mama" (TBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Stan gets upset at the idea of becoming a grandfather after Hayley and Jeff announced they're trying to have a baby; Steve and Klaus join a drug gang.
People of Earth - "Last Day on Earth" (TBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Gerry says goodbye to StarCrossed as he readies for his own long-awaited experience; Jonathan Walsh shares game changing information with Ozzie; Don and Kelly go on a date.
Monday, December 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Gael García Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emmanuelle drops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of Fuller House - The cast of Fuller House are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - Miss Piggy and Harry perform Deck the Halls on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Meredith Hagner (Search Party/Men at Work) - Meredith is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. talks about Office Christmas Party on the AOL Build Show at 3pm. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He can also be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 9:50am.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10:45am.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn talks about Kevin Can Wait on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.