Saturday, April 12, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?
- If you're a true fan of The Simpsons, then hopefully you have twelve days to spare at the end of August, because that is when FXX will air their twelve day record-breaking marathon featuring every episode of The Simpsons ever aired. (Entertainment Weekly)
- Earlier this week, Deadline takes a look at the major broadcast networks and the series that are on the bubble for renewal, complete with a full analysis. (Deadline)
- Bill Lawrence's series Undateable is set to debut on NBC at the end of May, which is a traditional dumping ground for series that networks have given up on before they even debut, but Lawrence remains upbeat anyway. (Deadline)
- If you would like to have your own summer (or even fall) series on NBC like Bill Lawrence, then NBC would really like to know, as they're reaching out to fans to help them create their next big sitcom. (Huffington Post)
- David Letterman's replacement has been named, and it turn out that it'll be Stephen Colbert. It will be quite a change for Colbert, though, as he will no longer be in character for his new gig. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Fox announced several DVD releases this week that would be exclusives to Amazon.com. The most notable of these releases is the Tim Allen sitcom Last Man Standing and NBC's one-season series The New Normal, both of which have not seen any DVD releases. On May 13, fans will see both seasons 1 and 2. The same day will also see releases for American Dad - Volume 9 and Bob's Burgers - The Complete 3rd Season. It is expected that all of these will be MOD releases.
- Warner has slowly been warming up to the idea of licensing series out, but did they license Welcome Back, Kotter to Shout! Factory for them to release? There was a complete series listing that briefly appeared on Amazon.com last weekend that suggests that.
- Shout! Factory will, for certain, be releasing Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season on August 19. The release will put the series just past halfway to completion.
- Shout! will also be releasing the TV Land series The Soul Man on DVD for the very first time on July 8, with their release of The Soul Man - The Complete First Season.
- Here's Lucy - The Complete Series: MPI collects every episode of this series in this collection, along with one of the nicest collections of special features ever featured in a DVD release.
APRIL 15 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Anger Management - Volume 3 (DVD, $34.98; Blu-ray, $34.97): Charlie Sheen is "winning" again with another release of his FX series on DVD.
- The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season (DVD, $29.98): The Clampetts return to DVD on this set (which was available as a Walmart exclusive for months), the very first DVD release featuring color episodes of the series.
- Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season (DVD, $29.98): Another release of a DVD that was previously a Walmart exclusive, and also the very first DVD release featuring color episodes of the series.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, April 26
The Goldbergs - "Fonzie Scheme" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Murray is honored as one of Jenkintown’s top businessmen, his plaque is hung on a wall with all of the other honorees. And soon Beverly is dismayed to learn he has no discernable hobbies, and her attempts to help him find some backfire. Meanwhile, Barry creates a scheme stealing golf carts, but the situation goes awry and Erica comes to save the day.
Speechless - "R-U-N-- RUNAWAY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Maya learns JJ attempted to run away, she is determined to help him complete the task as any able-bodied person could, but her actions exasperate JJ, as he longs for independence. Meanwhile, Jimmy struggles to have hard talks with the kids without Maya, and Dylan tries to get Kenneth to revive his glory days as a high school sports star.
black-ish - "Sister, Sister" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bow’s sister comes to town after filming a stint on a reality show, and they couldn’t have less in common. Meanwhile, Zoey suggests that Dre spend more time with Junior since she’s leaving for college, and Jack and Diane decide to rebrand themselves.
black-ish - "All Groan Up" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Zoey gets into several colleges around the country, Dre and Bow begin to feel worried and sentimental. They reflect back on memories they’ve had with the family and wonder what life will be like without her around all the time. Pops enlists the twins to try and sway Zoey to go to college in a city they want to visit.
Nobodies - "Not the Emmys" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Award season! Larry, Rachel and Hugh are going to the Annies… while all their Groundlings friends are going to the Emmys.
Lopez - "No Country Club for Young Men" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
George gets Hector a job at his country club, but he falls in with a bad crowd of rich kids. Olly's little sister rolls back into town while Manolo struggles to stay focused in his GED class.
Hollywood Darlings - "Driving Miss Jodie" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jodie must choose between a sports car and a minivan; Christine's dream of participating in an exclusive yoga class is thwarted by a loud-breathing celebrity classmate.
Return of the Mac - "The Wrong Stuff" (Pop, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Feeling threatened by newly appointed sidekick Joey Fatone, Joe heads to a comedy club to hone his comedy monologue skills.
Wednesday, April 26
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris and the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Henry Zebrowski (A to Z) - Henry is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Molly Ringwald (Townies/The Facts of Life) - Molly stops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Anna Chlumsky (Veep) - Anna stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri talks about the disease she won’t let destroy her on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your loclal listings.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity makes pecan bars on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Morris Chestnut (Out All Night) - Morris is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.