Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Classic TV Moms Reunite on Nick at Nite's Instant Mom; Seth MacFarlane Comedy Coming to Starz Starring Patrick Stewart
This Mother's Day, Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite pays tribute to moms with the coming together of four classic TV mothers – Happy Days Marion Ross, The Brady Bunch's Florence Henderson, Family Ties Meredith Baxter, Sister, Sister's Jackèe – and one classic TV daughter, The Cosby Show's Tempestt Bledsoe who will join star Tia Mowry-Hardrict in an unforgettable episode of Nick at Nite's Instant Mom, premiering next Thursday, May 8 at 8pm (ET/PT). In Instant Mom's "Not Your Mother's Day," Stephanie (Mowry-Hardrict) is excited for her first Mother's Day, but is disappointed when she learns the family intends to celebrate her on Stepmother's Day instead. Stephanie takes her own mother, Maggie (Sheryl Lee Ralph) for a last-minute spa trip to celebrate the holiday and gets some unexpected "mom" advice from a few experts who attempt to cheer her up. All four iconic TV moms chime in about their own experience being a mother, giving a hysterical nod reflecting their classic characters.
Recently picked up for a second season, Instant Mom follows Stephanie (Mowry-Hardrict), a party girl who marries Charlie (Michael Boatman, Spin City) and struggles to maintain some sense of her fun-loving, slightly irresponsible life while managing being a full-time stepmom. Sheryl Lee Ralph (Moesha) stars as Stephanie's overbearing mother Maggie, who is never shy about making known her point of view on parenting or pointing out its superiority to her daughter’s approach.
STARZ announced a two-season, 20-episode greenlight of Blunt Talk, a half-hour scripted comedy series from Media Rights Capital (MRC). The project, from Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, Ted, A Million Ways to Die in the West) and Jonathan Ames (Bored to Death), was picked up straight-to-series with 20 episodes over two seasons, set to air in 2015. Patrick Stewart (X-Men franchise, Ted) will play the lead role of Walter Blunt and also serves as a producer. Patrick Stewart next returns to the big screen reprising his role as 'Professor Charles Xavier' in X-Men: Days of Future Past, out May 23, and stars in the independent comedy-drama, Match, which just premiered to rave reviews at the Tribeca Film Festival.
Blunt Talk is a character-driven comedy revolving around Walter Blunt (Patrick Stewart), a British import intent on conquering the world of American cable news. Through the platform of his nightly interview show, Blunt is on a mission to impart his wisdom and guidance on how Americans should live, think and behave. Besieged by network bosses, a dysfunctional news staff, numerous ex-wives and children of all ages, Blunt's only support is the alcoholic manservant he transplanted from the U.K. to join him in Los Angeles. The series follows the fallout from Blunt's well-intentioned, but mostly misguided decision-making, both on and off the air.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, December 10
Saturday, December 10
- Dennis Haskins (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The New Class) - Dennis will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Bill Engvall Show) - Watch Jennifer Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also chats about the film Why Him? on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- John Goodman (Roseanne/Normal, Ohio) - John appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Chris visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS. She joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Matthew stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will talks about Collateral Beauty on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Out of Practice/Arrested Development) - Henry will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) - Megan is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.