Wednesday, August 14, 2013
TV Land has announced its September 2013 schedule. We're not calling it their fall schedule yet since they haven't released plans for October and beyond yet (besides the premiere of new original sitcom Kirstie beginning Dec. 4). There are minor changes but a few notable notes. It seems Three's Company's contract is not going to be renewed, but we're not 100% sure yet. We do know that it is not on the schedule after Aug. 31, which is when the contract expires. The hit John Ritter comedy will have its last airings on Saturday, Aug. 31 from 5am-12pm, which is a bit longer than its usual Saturday airing. To sort of take its place will be the return of The Nanny. The sitcom actually quietly returns Aug. 22, airing late nights on Wednesdays, but it will get more airplay in September by airing Saturday mornings as well. Beginning Monday, Sept. 9, TV Land will bring back Boston Legal to its schedule -- but not in the mornings or overnight, but in early evening and primetime. The William Shatner/James Spader series will air on TV Land weekdays at 7pm and 8pm. TV Land has removed the late night airings of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which was getting overnight airings on Sunday nights. We were surprised to see that scheduled there, too... Elsewhere, Friends will be airing Wednesdays from 11pm-12am now, while sitcoms overnight marathons will air every weeknight from 2-6am. On Mondays it is The Cosby Show, Tuesdays it is The Golden Girls, on Wednesday it's The Nanny, Thursdays has Roseanne and on Fridays it is Everybody Loves Raymond. Sometimes at 5:30am there are That '70s Show airings instead, but that comedy will be showcased on weekends starting at 2am. Everything else is pretty much the same, including mornings where the classic sitcoms are still not back, as Gunsmoke has completely taken over mornings. Yes, that means no I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke or Andy Griffith. We do get an Andy Griffith Show sighting on Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 2) from 8am-6pm. Original series wise, Hot in Cleveland will have a two-episode season finale on Wednesday, Sept. 4 from 10-11pm. In the first airing, it's a Mary Tyler Moore Show reunion (as we hinted before), as Elka (Betty White) & Mamie (Georgia Engel) reunite their bowling team: Diane (special guest star Mary Tyler Moore), Peg (special guest star Cloris Leachman), & Angie (special guest star Valerie Harper), while Joy, Victoria & Melanie date a professor (George Hamilton), director & surgeon. On the season finale at 10:30pm, it's the big day of Victoria's wedding to incarcerated movie star Emmet Lawson (guest star Alan Dale), while Elka (Betty White) helps Joy reunite with her baby daddy (special guest star Craig Ferguson), who she hasn't seen in thirty-two years. TV Land's other two sitcoms, The Exes and The Soul Man will wrap up a week earlier on Wednesday, Aug. 28. Hot in Cleveland will return later this year for its fifth season, while The Exes will return for its second half of season three. TV Land has not ordered more episodes of The Soul Man yet.
Bounce TV has started production in Los Angeles on the network's first original scripted sitcom, My Crazy Roommate, as we first announced the series back in May. The series is created and produced by Bentley Kyle Evans (Martin, The Jamie Foxx Show) of Bent Outta Shape Productions. My Crazy Roommate will world premiere on Bounce TV, Tuesday, October 15 at 10:00 pm ET. My Crazy Roommate is a comedy series about two young women, Brooke (Laila Odom) and Chole (Brittany Richards), from vastly different backgrounds who are forced to live together while on a crusade to find fame and fortune in Hollywood. The reluctant roommates find themselves in a series of dilemmas causing them to temporarily put their differences aside to resolve the many obstacles they face throughout their journey.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.