Wednesday, August 14, 2013
TV Land has announced its September 2013 schedule. We're not calling it their fall schedule yet since they haven't released plans for October and beyond yet (besides the premiere of new original sitcom Kirstie beginning Dec. 4). There are minor changes but a few notable notes. It seems Three's Company's contract is not going to be renewed, but we're not 100% sure yet. We do know that it is not on the schedule after Aug. 31, which is when the contract expires. The hit John Ritter comedy will have its last airings on Saturday, Aug. 31 from 5am-12pm, which is a bit longer than its usual Saturday airing. To sort of take its place will be the return of The Nanny. The sitcom actually quietly returns Aug. 22, airing late nights on Wednesdays, but it will get more airplay in September by airing Saturday mornings as well. Beginning Monday, Sept. 9, TV Land will bring back Boston Legal to its schedule -- but not in the mornings or overnight, but in early evening and primetime. The William Shatner/James Spader series will air on TV Land weekdays at 7pm and 8pm. TV Land has removed the late night airings of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which was getting overnight airings on Sunday nights. We were surprised to see that scheduled there, too... Elsewhere, Friends will be airing Wednesdays from 11pm-12am now, while sitcoms overnight marathons will air every weeknight from 2-6am. On Mondays it is The Cosby Show, Tuesdays it is The Golden Girls, on Wednesday it's The Nanny, Thursdays has Roseanne and on Fridays it is Everybody Loves Raymond. Sometimes at 5:30am there are That '70s Show airings instead, but that comedy will be showcased on weekends starting at 2am. Everything else is pretty much the same, including mornings where the classic sitcoms are still not back, as Gunsmoke has completely taken over mornings. Yes, that means no I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke or Andy Griffith. We do get an Andy Griffith Show sighting on Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 2) from 8am-6pm. Original series wise, Hot in Cleveland will have a two-episode season finale on Wednesday, Sept. 4 from 10-11pm. In the first airing, it's a Mary Tyler Moore Show reunion (as we hinted before), as Elka (Betty White) & Mamie (Georgia Engel) reunite their bowling team: Diane (special guest star Mary Tyler Moore), Peg (special guest star Cloris Leachman), & Angie (special guest star Valerie Harper), while Joy, Victoria & Melanie date a professor (George Hamilton), director & surgeon. On the season finale at 10:30pm, it's the big day of Victoria's wedding to incarcerated movie star Emmet Lawson (guest star Alan Dale), while Elka (Betty White) helps Joy reunite with her baby daddy (special guest star Craig Ferguson), who she hasn't seen in thirty-two years. TV Land's other two sitcoms, The Exes and The Soul Man will wrap up a week earlier on Wednesday, Aug. 28. Hot in Cleveland will return later this year for its fifth season, while The Exes will return for its second half of season three. TV Land has not ordered more episodes of The Soul Man yet.
Bounce TV has started production in Los Angeles on the network's first original scripted sitcom, My Crazy Roommate, as we first announced the series back in May. The series is created and produced by Bentley Kyle Evans (Martin, The Jamie Foxx Show) of Bent Outta Shape Productions. My Crazy Roommate will world premiere on Bounce TV, Tuesday, October 15 at 10:00 pm ET. My Crazy Roommate is a comedy series about two young women, Brooke (Laila Odom) and Chole (Brittany Richards), from vastly different backgrounds who are forced to live together while on a crusade to find fame and fortune in Hollywood. The reluctant roommates find themselves in a series of dilemmas causing them to temporarily put their differences aside to resolve the many obstacles they face throughout their journey.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.