Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Gladiators unite! BET Networks announced that it has licensed the rights to air current season episodes of the hit series Scandal. Each episode will air on BET no earlier than eight days after its original broadcast on ABC, exclusively starting in Fall 2013. In addition, BET will debut reruns of the first two seasons of the series this Summer (August) on its network, leading into the third season premiere on ABC (in late September), and is also licensing the exclusive off-network cable rights to the series starting in Fall 2014 when three full seasons will be available for play. Scandal, which is heading into its third season on ABC, has proved a ratings success, ascending to a series high in its season two finale, drawing 9.1 million viewers. The series consistently dominated in its 10 PM time period with key female demos and frequently won with adults 18-49, especially from January-May of last season. Attracting an average of 2.8 million African American viewers each week, Scandal is the #1 broadcast series among African Americans. This is BET's first major drama acquisition. We will have details on the summer launch soon, so stay with us. This could be a huge boost for Scandal when it returns in season three on ABC, as BET reruns will certainly help the series even more to grow in the ratings. BET boosted The Game when it launched on the network after it started airing reruns of the series before its BET original premiere. Scandal stars Kerry Washington (Django Unchained, Ray) as Olivia Pope, a former communications director to the President of the United States, and owner of a prominent crisis management firm. While she and her staff specialize in fixing the lives of the high-powered political set, they struggle to keep their own lives -- and secrets -- in check. The series also stars Columbus Short (Stomp the Yard), Tony Goldwyn (Ghost, The Last Samurai), Jeff Perry (Grey's Anatomy), Guillermo Diaz (Weeds, No Ordinary Family), Darby Stanchfield (NCIS), Katie Lowes (Super 8), and Bellamy Young (Criminal Minds). The show was created by Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice). Rhimes also serves as executive producer alongside Betsy Beers and Mark Wilding. Scandal is produced by ABC Studios and airs Thursdays at 10:00 PM (ET/PT) on the ABC Television Network.
TV Land has partnered with MatchingDonors.com, a leading non-profit organ donation website, it was announced today. Tomorrow (July 17), the episode of the channel's hit sitcom, Hot in Cleveland, actress Victoria Chase (Wendie Malick) makes a life-changing decision to donate her kidney to an ailing young girl. TVLand.com and MatchingDonors.com will also feature an organ donation PSA from Wendie Malick in an effort to increase awareness of the urgent need for organ donations in the United States. TV Land's Hot in Cleveland, now in its fourth season, airs on Wednesday nights at 10pm ET/PT. Every day in the United States there are 19 people who die waiting for an organ transplant. MatchingDonors.com has become the world's largest and most successful nonprofit organization promoting, registering, and finding living organ donors for people needing organ transplants. Organ failure is rampant in all segments, races and ages across the U.S.
Scandal Photo Source: ABC/Craig Sjodin
Hot in Cleveland Photo Source: TV Land
The Goldbergs - "Kara-Te" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Barry decides to sign up for the school’s holiday talent show but is bummed when the school doesn’t approve karate as a talent. Beverly is livid and brow beats the teacher in charge to change his mind. After the family watches Barry’s routine, everyone wonders whether he will be able to pull off the performance… or crack under pressure. Meanwhile, Erica gets coerced from Pops to also perform in the talent show, but will she? Tim Meadows guest stars.
Trophy Wife - "Twas the Night Before Christmas... Or Twas It?" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Pete, Kate, Diane and Jackie wake up Christmas morning hung-over and the house in complete disaster. They try to piece together the events of last night’s Christmas Eve festivities while also trying to save Christmas for the kids. Phyllis Smith (“The Office”) returns for a guest appearance.
Tuesday, December 10
- Billy Crystal (Soap) - Catch Billy on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kirstie Alley (Kirstie/Veronica's Closet/Cheers) - Kirstie is a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom visits Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- John Goodman (Roseanne) - John appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Toks Olagundoye (The Neighbors) - Tune in to see Toks on The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Lizzy Caplan (The Class/Party Down) - Lizzy is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Saved by the Bell) - Mark-Paul stops by The Pete Holmes Show at midnight on TBS.
- Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell) - It's an hour of Latin inspired holiday dishes when Mario and Mario Batali whip up a tasty holiday dish on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on New York Live on WNBC at 12:30pm ET.
- Richard Karn (Home Improvement) - Richard discusses his latest project on Home & Family at 10am on Hallmark Channel.
- Ed Asner (The Mary Tyler Moore Show) - Ed is a guest on The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- David Koechner (The Office) - David will be on SI Now at 1pm.
- Miranda Cosgrove (iCarly) - Miranda appears on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.