Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Gladiators unite! BET Networks announced that it has licensed the rights to air current season episodes of the hit series Scandal. Each episode will air on BET no earlier than eight days after its original broadcast on ABC, exclusively starting in Fall 2013. In addition, BET will debut reruns of the first two seasons of the series this Summer (August) on its network, leading into the third season premiere on ABC (in late September), and is also licensing the exclusive off-network cable rights to the series starting in Fall 2014 when three full seasons will be available for play. Scandal, which is heading into its third season on ABC, has proved a ratings success, ascending to a series high in its season two finale, drawing 9.1 million viewers. The series consistently dominated in its 10 PM time period with key female demos and frequently won with adults 18-49, especially from January-May of last season. Attracting an average of 2.8 million African American viewers each week, Scandal is the #1 broadcast series among African Americans. This is BET's first major drama acquisition. We will have details on the summer launch soon, so stay with us. This could be a huge boost for Scandal when it returns in season three on ABC, as BET reruns will certainly help the series even more to grow in the ratings. BET boosted The Game when it launched on the network after it started airing reruns of the series before its BET original premiere. Scandal stars Kerry Washington (Django Unchained, Ray) as Olivia Pope, a former communications director to the President of the United States, and owner of a prominent crisis management firm. While she and her staff specialize in fixing the lives of the high-powered political set, they struggle to keep their own lives -- and secrets -- in check. The series also stars Columbus Short (Stomp the Yard), Tony Goldwyn (Ghost, The Last Samurai), Jeff Perry (Grey's Anatomy), Guillermo Diaz (Weeds, No Ordinary Family), Darby Stanchfield (NCIS), Katie Lowes (Super 8), and Bellamy Young (Criminal Minds). The show was created by Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice). Rhimes also serves as executive producer alongside Betsy Beers and Mark Wilding. Scandal is produced by ABC Studios and airs Thursdays at 10:00 PM (ET/PT) on the ABC Television Network.
TV Land has partnered with MatchingDonors.com, a leading non-profit organ donation website, it was announced today. Tomorrow (July 17), the episode of the channel's hit sitcom, Hot in Cleveland, actress Victoria Chase (Wendie Malick) makes a life-changing decision to donate her kidney to an ailing young girl. TVLand.com and MatchingDonors.com will also feature an organ donation PSA from Wendie Malick in an effort to increase awareness of the urgent need for organ donations in the United States. TV Land's Hot in Cleveland, now in its fourth season, airs on Wednesday nights at 10pm ET/PT. Every day in the United States there are 19 people who die waiting for an organ transplant. MatchingDonors.com has become the world's largest and most successful nonprofit organization promoting, registering, and finding living organ donors for people needing organ transplants. Organ failure is rampant in all segments, races and ages across the U.S.
Scandal Photo Source: ABC/Craig Sjodin
Hot in Cleveland Photo Source: TV Land
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)
07/07 - Archie Bunker's Place - Season One (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season
07/07 - Married with Children - Season Eleven (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Married with Children - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
07/07 - The Michael J. Fox Show - The Complete First Season
07/07 - Playing House - Season 1
07/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
07/14 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season
07/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites - Season 7
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, August 1
Sunday, August 2
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Jesse/Married with Children) - Catch Christina on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerrod Carmichael (The Carmichael Show) - Watch Jerrod on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jessica St. Clair (Playing House/Best Friends Forever/In the Motherhood) and Lennon Parham (Playing House/Best Friends Forever/Accidentally on Purpose) - Jessica and Lennon are guests on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC and on the AOL Build Show.
- Matt LeBlanc (Episodes/Friends) - Matt appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Free Agents/Gary Unmarried) - Al will be on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/The Office) - Ellie appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin James (The King of Queens) - Kevin appears on repeats of Rachael Ray and The Real, so check your local listings.
- Eddie Kaye Thomas (Off Centre/American Dad!) - Eddie is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Olivia Munn (Perfect Couples) - Olivia joins the Chew Crew on a repeat of ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.