Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Gladiators unite! BET Networks announced that it has licensed the rights to air current season episodes of the hit series Scandal. Each episode will air on BET no earlier than eight days after its original broadcast on ABC, exclusively starting in Fall 2013. In addition, BET will debut reruns of the first two seasons of the series this Summer (August) on its network, leading into the third season premiere on ABC (in late September), and is also licensing the exclusive off-network cable rights to the series starting in Fall 2014 when three full seasons will be available for play. Scandal, which is heading into its third season on ABC, has proved a ratings success, ascending to a series high in its season two finale, drawing 9.1 million viewers. The series consistently dominated in its 10 PM time period with key female demos and frequently won with adults 18-49, especially from January-May of last season. Attracting an average of 2.8 million African American viewers each week, Scandal is the #1 broadcast series among African Americans. This is BET's first major drama acquisition. We will have details on the summer launch soon, so stay with us. This could be a huge boost for Scandal when it returns in season three on ABC, as BET reruns will certainly help the series even more to grow in the ratings. BET boosted The Game when it launched on the network after it started airing reruns of the series before its BET original premiere. Scandal stars Kerry Washington (Django Unchained, Ray) as Olivia Pope, a former communications director to the President of the United States, and owner of a prominent crisis management firm. While she and her staff specialize in fixing the lives of the high-powered political set, they struggle to keep their own lives -- and secrets -- in check. The series also stars Columbus Short (Stomp the Yard), Tony Goldwyn (Ghost, The Last Samurai), Jeff Perry (Grey's Anatomy), Guillermo Diaz (Weeds, No Ordinary Family), Darby Stanchfield (NCIS), Katie Lowes (Super 8), and Bellamy Young (Criminal Minds). The show was created by Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice). Rhimes also serves as executive producer alongside Betsy Beers and Mark Wilding. Scandal is produced by ABC Studios and airs Thursdays at 10:00 PM (ET/PT) on the ABC Television Network.
TV Land has partnered with MatchingDonors.com, a leading non-profit organ donation website, it was announced today. Tomorrow (July 17), the episode of the channel's hit sitcom, Hot in Cleveland, actress Victoria Chase (Wendie Malick) makes a life-changing decision to donate her kidney to an ailing young girl. TVLand.com and MatchingDonors.com will also feature an organ donation PSA from Wendie Malick in an effort to increase awareness of the urgent need for organ donations in the United States. TV Land's Hot in Cleveland, now in its fourth season, airs on Wednesday nights at 10pm ET/PT. Every day in the United States there are 19 people who die waiting for an organ transplant. MatchingDonors.com has become the world's largest and most successful nonprofit organization promoting, registering, and finding living organ donors for people needing organ transplants. Organ failure is rampant in all segments, races and ages across the U.S.
Scandal Photo Source: ABC/Craig Sjodin
Hot in Cleveland Photo Source: TV Land
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 28
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck with a Boy Genius" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Harley, Rachel, Georgie and Ethan attend their school spring formal dance, while Lewie and Beast camp out at home in the backyard.
Andi Mack - "It's Not About You" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Andi's frustration boils over when she discovers that Buffy has secretly been confiding in Bex instead of her; Cyrus double-dates with Jonah Beck, Amber and her friend Iris.
Friday, April 28
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Watch Gabourey on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Britt Robertson (Girlboss) - Britt is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened), Joely Fisher (Ellen/'Til Death), Clea Lewis (Ellen/Flying Blind) and David Anthony Higgins (Ellen/Malcolm in the Middle/Big Time Rush) - The Ellen DeGeneres Show celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Ellen coming out episode, so check your local listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec talks about Donald Trump, too much alcohol and the thing that saved his life on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She also dishes about Imaginary Mary on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Transparent/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.