Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Gladiators unite! BET Networks announced that it has licensed the rights to air current season episodes of the hit series Scandal. Each episode will air on BET no earlier than eight days after its original broadcast on ABC, exclusively starting in Fall 2013. In addition, BET will debut reruns of the first two seasons of the series this Summer (August) on its network, leading into the third season premiere on ABC (in late September), and is also licensing the exclusive off-network cable rights to the series starting in Fall 2014 when three full seasons will be available for play. Scandal, which is heading into its third season on ABC, has proved a ratings success, ascending to a series high in its season two finale, drawing 9.1 million viewers. The series consistently dominated in its 10 PM time period with key female demos and frequently won with adults 18-49, especially from January-May of last season. Attracting an average of 2.8 million African American viewers each week, Scandal is the #1 broadcast series among African Americans. This is BET's first major drama acquisition. We will have details on the summer launch soon, so stay with us. This could be a huge boost for Scandal when it returns in season three on ABC, as BET reruns will certainly help the series even more to grow in the ratings. BET boosted The Game when it launched on the network after it started airing reruns of the series before its BET original premiere. Scandal stars Kerry Washington (Django Unchained, Ray) as Olivia Pope, a former communications director to the President of the United States, and owner of a prominent crisis management firm. While she and her staff specialize in fixing the lives of the high-powered political set, they struggle to keep their own lives -- and secrets -- in check. The series also stars Columbus Short (Stomp the Yard), Tony Goldwyn (Ghost, The Last Samurai), Jeff Perry (Grey's Anatomy), Guillermo Diaz (Weeds, No Ordinary Family), Darby Stanchfield (NCIS), Katie Lowes (Super 8), and Bellamy Young (Criminal Minds). The show was created by Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice). Rhimes also serves as executive producer alongside Betsy Beers and Mark Wilding. Scandal is produced by ABC Studios and airs Thursdays at 10:00 PM (ET/PT) on the ABC Television Network.
TV Land has partnered with MatchingDonors.com, a leading non-profit organ donation website, it was announced today. Tomorrow (July 17), the episode of the channel's hit sitcom, Hot in Cleveland, actress Victoria Chase (Wendie Malick) makes a life-changing decision to donate her kidney to an ailing young girl. TVLand.com and MatchingDonors.com will also feature an organ donation PSA from Wendie Malick in an effort to increase awareness of the urgent need for organ donations in the United States. TV Land's Hot in Cleveland, now in its fourth season, airs on Wednesday nights at 10pm ET/PT. Every day in the United States there are 19 people who die waiting for an organ transplant. MatchingDonors.com has become the world's largest and most successful nonprofit organization promoting, registering, and finding living organ donors for people needing organ transplants. Organ failure is rampant in all segments, races and ages across the U.S.
Scandal Photo Source: ABC/Craig Sjodin
Hot in Cleveland Photo Source: TV Land
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February)
02/03 - The Bob Newhart Show - Season Five
02/03 - The Bob Newhart Show - The Final (Sixth) Season
02/03 - Maude - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) / The Complete Series Available 3/17 (Shout! Factory)
02/03 - The Wonder Years - Season Two
02/10 - Mama's Family - The Complete Sixth Season
02/10 - Nurse Jackie - Season Six (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, February 27
Last Man Standing - "Kyle's Friend" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When a homeless man that Kyle has befriended goes missing, Mike uses his vlog to help track him down. Mandy is inspired by Kyle’s good deed and in her unique way, helps a young mother from the woman’s shelter.
Cristela - "Gifted and Talented" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Cristela is tutoring and rooting for Isabella to get into the “Gifted and Talented” school program, partly because Cristela did not get in as a child. When Isabella throws the exam because she’s afraid of hurting her brother’s feelings, tensions mount between Cristela and Natalia over the program and Natalia reveals a hurtful secret. Meanwhile at the office, after Maddie gets into another car accident, Trent decides to punish Maddie by sending her to the mail room, which provides a bit of a challenge for Maddie to grasp.
Friday, February 27
- Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer (Broad City) - Watch Abbi and Ilana on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory) - Catch Simon on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Owen Benjamin (Sullivan & Son) - Owen appears on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) - Kunal guest co-hosts The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Kathy is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Lana Parilla (Spin City) - Lana chats on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne and the cast of USA Network's Dig give a sneak peak and share secrets from the highly anticipated new murder mystery mini-series on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Natalie Desselle-Reid (Eve/For Your Love/Built to Last) - Natalie guest co-hosts ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ming-Na Wen (The Single Guy) - Ming-Na Wen will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Tiffani talks about getting ready for baby #2 to join her family and cooks on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings. She also talks about the Cooking Channel's Dinner at Tiffani's on Big Morning Buzz Live on VH1 at 9am.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicty is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on Larry King Now at 2/5pm PT/ET on Ora.tv and Hulu.
- Luis Guzman (How to Make It in America/Luis) - Luis is a guest on People Now.