Friday, May 10, 2013
SitcomsOnline.com 2013-14 Upfront Preview: The CW; MeTV's Moms of Me Marathon; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of May 13, 2013)
And we enter our last network upfront preview: The CW. The CW continues to struggle, but it did launch a new hit in Arrow and it is getting rid of duds like 90210 and Gossip Girl finally. America's Next Top Model has an uncertain future, while The CW still has no sitcoms. When will that change?
Here is the SitcomsOnline.com The CW 2013-14 preview:
New Series Already Picked-Up: The Originals (drama), The Tomorrow People (drama), The Hundred (drama), Reign (drama) and Oxygen (drama).
Already Renewed Returning Series: Arrow, Beauty & The Beast, Hart of Dixie, Supernatural, The Carrie Diaries, Nikita and The Vampire Diaries.
Likely Returning Series: America's Next Top Model, Oh Sit!
Likey To Be Canceled or Already Canceled: 90210, Gossip Girl, Cult, and Emily Owens MD.
Likely Other New Series: None (but we predicted the five series they would pick-up).
OUR FALL 2013 PREDICTION:
8:00PM The Originals (NEW!)
9:00PM The Hundred (NEW!)
8:00PM Reign (NEW!)
9:00PM Hart of Dixie
8:00PM Vampire Diaries
9:00PM The Tomorrow People (NEW!)
9:00PM Drama Encores
Comments: The CW continues to struggle but they found out this season they need air more shows like its new hit Arrow and less shows like 90210. Most of its new series for 2013-14 fit that and that's good. Let's detail the fall schedule prediction for The CW. For Mondays, I would certainly change the night completely. At 8pm, they could try the Vampire Diaries spin-off The Originals to try and bring some life back to this night. At 9pm, they should just air something new because that would be fresh and better. They could try drama The 100, which sounds unique and well-made. The Carrie Diaries could be used on this night in mid-season or even on another night, wherever needed. Moving on to Tuesdays, they should lead-off with the period soap Reign at 8. Why? Because Hart of Dixie is struggling in the slot and needs to be moved to 9pm. They need to start the night better. If anything fails, they should go with a back-up plan like The Carrie Diaries or even America's Next Top Model, which should be aired on this night instead of Fridays. Wednesdays should;d remain the same, because its the most consistent and their best night overall. Arrow has done a great job kick starting the night and they have used veteran Supernatural well at 9pm to make a good 1-2 punch (CW style, that is). If for some reason they want to test a new drama here, it should be alien series Oxygen.
For Thursday, their top gun The Vampire Diaries will continue to lead off the night at 8pm and is probably the surest best, even more so than the Wednesday shows. They should and will likely go with the new drama The Tomorrow People at 9pm, as that sounds like a perfect companion to the lead-in. The CW should hold on to Beauty & the Beast for mid-season and air it on this night or any other night that needs help. The CW has a lot more options next season it seems, and that's good. They could also share timeslots to cut back on repeats, as nothing really repeats well on this network, save for maybe Arrow. The only time The CW should be in repeats is December. They can't afford to be in repeats anytime else in the season. And finally on Fridays, they will likely remain as is with Nikita returning at 8, followed by encores of dramas at 9. I don't think America's Next Top Model should be on this night if it returns. It would be better suited for a short-run to give something a break in mid-season. I'm not too big of a CW watcher, so not sure what they could do to cut down on repeats besides ordering many new shows, but sound off on our link below. It's tough having no comedies because that would have some repeat value.
Discuss your thoughts on our prediction and feel free to make suggestions of your own.
Remember, next Thursday (May 16) is the actual date when we will find out The CW's plans for the 2013-14 season. So, come on back next Thursday and we will let you know the details and you can see how much we were right (or wrong).
And as a reminder, stay tuned starting Sunday evening (through Thursday) for all the final schedules released by all the networks! We will put them up as soon as they are released by the networks, so this will be your home to see them first! Join us.
Moving on to some news, in honor of Mother's Day this Sunday, The MeTV Network will be showcasing a full day of classic sitcoms celebrating Moms of MeTV! This Sunday, MeTV will be looking back at moms featured in classic sitcoms. The moms of The Donna Reed Show, Leave it to Beaver, I Dream of Jeanie, That Girl, Love American Style, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Bob Newhart Show. We get an episode of each, except The Donna Reed Show will start the block off with back-to-back episodes. All of this is part of the MeTV Sunday Showcase: Moms of Me. It all airs Sunday, May 12, 2013 beginning at 3|2c, as The MeTV Sunday Showcase spends Mother's Day with the moms of MeTV! It's nice moms and...other moms. Watch the promo and watch this Sunday! Stay with us for continued updates on all things MeTV!
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of May 13-17, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, May 13, 2013
- John Cho (Go On/Kitchen Confidential/Off Centre) - Watch John on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development/Better Off Ted) - Portia visits Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. She will also be on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am to discuss the return of Arrested Development.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show) - Mila appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Alyson Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother/Free Spirit) - Alyson is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Gabourey chats on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Krysten Ritter (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - Krysten appears on a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Catch Tom on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Community) - Ken drops by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. He also talks about The Hangover: Part III on NBC's Today between 7-9am.
- Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie) - Peter is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory/8 Simple Rules) - Tune in to see Kaley on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- David Alan Grier (Less Than Perfect/DAG) - David stops by The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Keshia Knight Pulliam (The Cosby Show/Tyler Perry's House of Payne) - Keshia reminisces on her time in the long-running hit comedy and opens up about her nonprofit Kamp Kizzy, an organization dedicated to empowering young women, on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Diahann Carroll (Julia) - Diahann is a guest on Tavis Smiley, so check your local listings.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia joins Michael Symon as he makes chocolate caramel peanut bars with buttered popcorn gelato on The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse joins the GMA team as a special guest in the 8am hour on ABC's Good Morning America.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Watch Ed on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about The Hangover: Part III on NBC's Today between 7-9am.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick is a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Julie Bowen (Modern Family) - Tune in to see Julie on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi is a guest on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Jim Gaffigan (My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Ricky Schroder (Silver Spoons) - Ricky appears on a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will and his son, Jaden, are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Eden Sher (The Middle) - Eden guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Susan Olsen (The Brady Bunch) - Susan reveals her fondest memories with TV dad, Robert Reed, and opens up about the challenges she has overcome while raising her son with Asperger’s Syndrome on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) - Eric joins the GMA team as a special guest in the 8am hour on ABC's Good Morning America.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace will be on NBC's Today between 10-11am.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds) - Catch Connie on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Paul Reiser (Mad About You/My Two Dads) - Paul stops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette is a guest on The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Eve (Eve) - Eve talks about her highly anticipated new album, Lip Lock, on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Will Arnett (Arrested Development/Up All Night) - Watch Will on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie) - Edie appears on a repeat of Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds) - Connie continues to make the rounds on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Rob Lowe (Parks and Recreation) - Rob visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, February 25
The Thundermans - "Ditch Perfect" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Phoebe learns Max’s band plans to dump him, she suspects that his superhero training is hurting his friendships. Determined to help, she attempts to repair things with the band, but her good deeds quickly backfire.
Game Shakers - "Wedding Shower of Doom" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Dub’s brother shows up at Game Shakers and invites everyone except Dub to his wedding, the kids convince him to bring his brother into the fold, promising to make Dub behave himself at the event.
Monday, February 27
- Keri Russell (Running Wilde) - Watch Keri on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Slink Johnson (Black Jesus) - Slick is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) - Adam drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. He also talks about The Arrangement on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) - David chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Leighton Meester (Making History) - Leighton stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- John Lithgow (Trial & Error/Twenty Good Years/3rd Rock from the Sun) - John talks about Trial & Error on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 1:30pm.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy dishes on how This is Us is following in Mike & Molly’s footsteps – and why both shows are so beloved on People Now at 8:30am.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) and Craig Robinson (The Office) - Lisa and Craig talk about their new film Table 19 on the AOL Build Show at 2:30pm.
- Sinbad (A Different World/The Sinbad Show) - Sinbad is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig appears on The Real, so check your local listings.