Monday, February 04, 2013
TBS Schedules Season 2 of Men at Work; Gimme a Break Star Lara Jill Miller Speaks with Retroality.tv
TBS has announced premiere dates for two of its original series set to hit the air in April. The network's hit original sitcom Men at Work is scheduled to launch its second season Thursday, April 4, at 10pm (ET/PT) following the conclusion of TBS comedy reality series King of the Nerds (which actually finales on March 7). And TBS's new competition series Who Gets the Last Laugh? is set to premiere Tuesday, April 16, at 10pm (ET/PT), as Cougar Town has its season finale the week before on April 9. Cougar Town will actually have a two-episode season finale on that date from 10-11pm. Returning for its second season, TBS's hit original sitcom Men at Work stars Danny Masterson (That '70s Show, Yes Man), Michael Cassidy (The O.C.), Adam Busch (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Meredith Hagner (Royal Pains) and James Lesure (Las Vegas). The series centers on four buddies who help each other navigate the treacherous waters of work, friendship and women. Men at Work comes to TBS from Sony Pictures Television. The series was created by Breckin Meyer (TNT's Franklin & Bash). The series has been ordered for another 10-episode run, like in its first season last summer. No word yet on when TBS will air the second season of Sullivan & Son, but it is likely they will start that series' second season once Men at Work wraps its 10-episode run this June. Stay tuned for news on that.
As for Who Gets the Last Laugh?, TBS's new hidden-camera competition series, hosted by Donald Faison (Scrubs, The Exes), will pit some of the industry's best-known comedians and comedy actors against one another to see who can pull the most outrageous practical jokes. Among the comedians who have lined up to participate are Andy Dick (NewsRadio), Tom Green (The Tom Green Show), D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys), Chris Kattan (The Middle, Saturday Night Live), Bam Margera (Jackass), Bill Bellamy (Any Given Sunday), Charlie Murphy (Chappelle's Show), Cheri Oteri (Saturday Night Live), Alan Thicke (Growing Pains), Nicole Sullivan (MADtv), Kunal Nayyar (The Big Bang Theory) and Finesse Mitchell (Saturday Night Live). Who Gets the Last Laugh? is produced by Jason Goldberg and Ashton Kutcher's Katalyst in association with Warner Horizon Television. Katalyst co-founder Jason Goldberg serves as executive producer and showrunner. TBS has ordered 9 episodes of the series.
After a 15-episode run in 2011-12, Reimagine That! with Chris Mann is back for an all-new season of fun with classic TV stars! If you forgot, the series is a popular podcast "where retro pop meets forward thought" as Retroality.TV's behind-the-scenes "TVographer" Chris Mann talks rebooting pop culture's past, re-envisioning reality (TV and otherwise) and reinventing life after 35 -- spiritually, professionally and otherwise -- with Hollywood storytellers and survivors, retro aficionados and "re-creative" visionaries. Also: Chris reviews headline-making pop culture controversies. In episode 16, Chris talks with Lara Jill Miller of Gimme a Break! fame. Lara of course talks Gimme a Break!, Nell Carter, her appearance on Disney's Doc McStuffins, and other voice-artist success.
Lara Jill Miller grew up before our eyes as Nell Carter's sweet-faced "little girl" Samantha Kinisky on the hit NBC sitcom Gimme a Break! In the '90s she went back to the East Coast, earned a law degree and became a practicing New York attorney ... but her passion for showbiz brought her back to Hollywood once more. In the last decade, Lara Jill has become one of the industry's most in-demand voice artists, with starring roles in several animated series (like Clifford's Puppy Days), films, video games and more. In a special Valentine-themed episode of the hit Disney Jr. series Doc McStuffins, which premiered on Friday on the Disney Channel and Disney Junior, the former child star again takes the spotlight, this time as Doc's lovable pal Lambie. In this exclusive, in-depth interview about her amazing journey, Lara Jill opens up about her close relationship with the late Carter, revealing how being the "Ain't Misbehavin'" star's "baby" kept Sam in the Gimme a Break! fold after the show was extensively retooled (and much of the original cast let go) during its final season. Lara Jill recalls some of the long-running sitcom's landmark episodes (Joey in blackface?! Katie has an IUD?!) and discloses that, had the show been renewed for a seventh season, the focus would have shifted to Nell's misadventures with Sam in college. (NBC, instead giving us A Different World, missed the boat on this one, folks.) Chris also fondly remembers Nell Carter, and three other TV greats we've lost more recently: Dallas icon Larry Hagman, Three's Company Regal Beagle bartender (and stage star!) Paul Ainsley and Maude and Diff'rent Strokes star Conrad Bain.
Head on over to Retroality.tv and listen to episode 16 of this wonderful podcast from the great Chris Mann! "Gimme a break I sure deserve it...It's time I made it to the top."
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.