Monday, February 25, 2013
Off Their Rockers Moves to Wednesdays in April, Whitney/Guys with Kids Out; Remembering Lou Myers of A Different World
As we announced on Friday on Twitter, NBC has announced that Betty White's Off Their Rockers will move to Wednesdays at 8:00pm & 8:30pm beginning April 10. The hijinks comedy is currently airing Tuesdays at 8:00pm & 8:30pm, but once The Voice returns Tuesday. March 26, the comedy will have to move. Its Tuesday finale is March 19 before it returns April 10 and will air new episode at 8 and repeats at 8:30pm. The hour will be replacing Whitney, which will have its season finale the week prior on Wednesday, April 3 at 8pm. The sitcom has a 16 episode order and will be done with it by April 3. Whitney will be doubled up with repeats at 8:30pm beginning next Tuesday (March 6), as freshman sitcom Guys with Kids is having its season finale this Wednesday at 8:30pm (with guest star Keshia Knight Pulliam for a mini-Cosby Show reunion!). That sitcom has a 17 episode order and will already be finished with it by this week. Both Whitney and Guys with Kids are struggling heavily in the ratings, so these could be their final episodes ever but we won't know that for sure until this May during upfronts. Possibly one (Whitney) could return (a very slight chance), but there is no chance really both are returning.
Moving on to Fox, they also announced a few special sitcom airing plans. First up on Thursday, April 7, Tuesday comedies New Girl and The Mindy Project will both receive a special Thursday airing following American Idol at 9:00pm & 9:30pm. In the all-new "Date Night" episode of New Girl, Jess (Zooey Deschanel) and Nick (Jake Johnson), who are caught between friendship and something more, try to break out of relationship limbo by going on a "first" date. Once Schmidt (Max Greenfield) and Winston (Lamorne Morris) realize a full-on Jess/Nick romance might be happening, they swoop in to try to sabotage the date. And in the all-new "Mindy's Birthday" episode of The Mindy Project, Morgan (Ike Barinholtz) throws Mindy (Mindy Kaling) a surprise birthday party, but when her two worlds collide - personal and professional - it's nothing to celebrate. Meanwhile, Jeremy (Ed Weeks) and Danny (Chris Messina) fight over the same girl (guest star Kelen Coleman, Newsroom). Both comedies have 24-episode orders and New Girl is airing episode 18 this coming Tuesday (so six episodes will remain from March-May) and The Mindy Project is airing episode 16 this Tuesday (so eight episodes will remain from March-May). Now one less episode will air on a Tuesday with this special Thursday airing on April 7.
Elsewhere on Fox, The Cleveland Show will be doubling up for a few weeks. It is all-new next Sunday (March 3) at 7:30pm and 8:30pm, all-new on March 10 at 8:30pm and March 17 all-new at both 7:30 and 8:30, and on April 7 it will be all-new at 9:30pm. Yes, a little confusing, but the comedy was preempted a lot this fall during the NFL season. The Cleveland Show regularly airs Sundays at 7:30pm, while Bob's Burgers airs at 8:30pm but Bob's Burgers is preempted March 3, 10 and 17 at 8:30pm but it will air at 9:30pm on all of those nights. It will air in place of American Dad! those three weeks. Confused? Don't be yet, because American Dad will air at a special time with a new episode on March 10 at 7:30pm, before returning to 9:30pm on March 24. Yeah, now we're confused, too.
Character actor Lou Myers, best known as the ornery Vernon Gaines in A Different World, has died. He died on February 19 at the Charleston Area Medical Center in West Virginia after battling pneumonia for several months. Mr. Myers was 77.
Myers played the feisty Vernon Gaines, who ran the campus eatery and hangout, The Pit, in A Different World. He joined the cast in the second season and appeared in 65 episodes of the series. In 1987, he guest starred as Mr. Davis in 2 episodes of The Cosby Show, which was the parent series of A Different World. He appeared in 6 episodes of The WB sitcom All About the Andersons in 2003. He had a recurring role as T.C. in the NBC sitcom My Parents, My Sister & Me in 2009-2010. His other sitcom guest appearances included Bagdad Cafe, Thea, The Sinbad Show, Living Single, The Jamie Foxx Show, Malcolm & Eddie, Eve and Lucky Louie. Some of his other television credits included The Sentinel, JAG, ER and NYPD Blue. Myers' film credits included Cobb, Tin Cup, Volcano, How Stella Got Her Groove Back, The Wedding Planner and The Fighting Temptations.
Survivors include his mother, Dorothy Jeffries, 95, a son, Melvin Myers, and two grandsons, Brayden and Christian. We loved his Mr. Gaines character on A Different World. He always gave sound advice. We thank him for bringing us many laughs. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.