Monday, January 28, 2013
Before we get into today's news, NATPE 2013 is today through Wednesday (Jan. 28-30) in Miami and we'll cover everything that is noteworthy either tomorrow and/or Wednesday, so stay tuned for our list of what is coming up in syndication in fall 2013 and other key updates!
TBS made some last minute schedule changes last week that begin...today (Jan. 28, 2013). They have added comedic obstacle series Wipeout to its weekday afternoon line-up while also adding ABC episodes of Cougar Town on the daily line-up. Wipeout will be borrowed from sister network TruTV, which is having success with the series and now it will try to bring more ratings to a struggling TBS early afternoon line-up where it is replacing recently added Rules of Engagement in the 2pm hour. Rules of Engagement will shift to the 11am hour, while American Dad! moves into the 1pm hour leading into the younger Wipeout to create a two-hour block. In other scheduling news, Rules of Engagement will be following an hour of Fresh Prince at 10am (as Are You There Yet? will just be Fridays in the 10am half-hour) and According to Jim and Everybody Loves Raymond follows in the 12pm hour. TBS has six plays a week on Are You There Yet? and they will have five of those on Fridays, one at 10am and the other four from 11pm-1am. The weekend play will be on Saturday morning at at 9am. The series is also struggling for TBS after being added this past fall.
Everybody Loves Raymond will be heavily reduced and will only air weekdays at 12:30pm and Saturdays at 3:30pm, while Friends' weekday 3:30-5:30pm block is shifted to 3-5pm so it can lead into another Courteney Cox series...Cougar Town. The classic ABC episodes from seasons 1-3 will be airing weekdays at 5pm beginning today. TBS will be skipping the first five episodes though and will start with the series' sixth episode. Not much else is changing as in primetime The Big Bang Theory continues to do big numbers and Family Guy is always durable. Big Bang is leading into new episodes of Cougar Town on Tuesdays at 10 and new reality series King of the Nerds on Thursdays at 10.
I urge you to view the entire TBS February 2013 schedule with the additions of Wipeout and earlier episodes of Cougar Town. No series will be leaving the line-up, but Are We There Yet? will be cut in days to just Fridays and Saturdays.
The 19th Annual Screen Actor Guild Awards (SAG) were last night and the winners were announced. Among the big winners were Modern Family, Downton Abbey, and Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin one last time for 30 Rock.
Here are the main TV winners:
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire, HBO)
Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad, AMC)
Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom, HBO)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men, AMC)
Damian Lewis (Homeland, Showtime)
WINNER: Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad, AMC)
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
Claire Danes (Homeland, Showtime)
Michele Dockery (Downton Abbey, PBS)
Jessica Lange (American Horror Story: Asylum, FX)
Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife, CBS)
Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey, PBS)
WINNER: Claire Danes (Homeland, Showtime)
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock, NBC)
Ty Burrell (Modern Family, ABC)
Louis C.K. (Louie, FX)
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory, CBS)
Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family, ABC)
WINNER: Alec Baldwin (30 Rock, NBC)
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie, Showtime)
Tina Fey (30 Rock, NBC)
Amy Poehler (Parks & Recreation, NBC)
Sofia Vergara (Modern Family, ABC)
Betty White (Hot in Cleveland, TV Land)
WINNER: Tina Fey (30 Rock, NBC)
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Breaking Bad (AMC)
Downton Abbey (PBS)
Mad Men (AMC)
WINNER: Downton Abbey (PBS)
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
30 Rock (NBC)
Modern Family (ABC)
Nurse Jackie (Showtime)
The Office (NBC)
WINNER: Modern Family (ABC)
Lifetime Achievement Award
Dick Van Dyke
View the complete TV portion winners and to discuss the winners!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.