Monday, January 28, 2013
Before we get into today's news, NATPE 2013 is today through Wednesday (Jan. 28-30) in Miami and we'll cover everything that is noteworthy either tomorrow and/or Wednesday, so stay tuned for our list of what is coming up in syndication in fall 2013 and other key updates!
TBS made some last minute schedule changes last week that begin...today (Jan. 28, 2013). They have added comedic obstacle series Wipeout to its weekday afternoon line-up while also adding ABC episodes of Cougar Town on the daily line-up. Wipeout will be borrowed from sister network TruTV, which is having success with the series and now it will try to bring more ratings to a struggling TBS early afternoon line-up where it is replacing recently added Rules of Engagement in the 2pm hour. Rules of Engagement will shift to the 11am hour, while American Dad! moves into the 1pm hour leading into the younger Wipeout to create a two-hour block. In other scheduling news, Rules of Engagement will be following an hour of Fresh Prince at 10am (as Are You There Yet? will just be Fridays in the 10am half-hour) and According to Jim and Everybody Loves Raymond follows in the 12pm hour. TBS has six plays a week on Are You There Yet? and they will have five of those on Fridays, one at 10am and the other four from 11pm-1am. The weekend play will be on Saturday morning at at 9am. The series is also struggling for TBS after being added this past fall.
Everybody Loves Raymond will be heavily reduced and will only air weekdays at 12:30pm and Saturdays at 3:30pm, while Friends' weekday 3:30-5:30pm block is shifted to 3-5pm so it can lead into another Courteney Cox series...Cougar Town. The classic ABC episodes from seasons 1-3 will be airing weekdays at 5pm beginning today. TBS will be skipping the first five episodes though and will start with the series' sixth episode. Not much else is changing as in primetime The Big Bang Theory continues to do big numbers and Family Guy is always durable. Big Bang is leading into new episodes of Cougar Town on Tuesdays at 10 and new reality series King of the Nerds on Thursdays at 10.
I urge you to view the entire TBS February 2013 schedule with the additions of Wipeout and earlier episodes of Cougar Town. No series will be leaving the line-up, but Are We There Yet? will be cut in days to just Fridays and Saturdays.
The 19th Annual Screen Actor Guild Awards (SAG) were last night and the winners were announced. Among the big winners were Modern Family, Downton Abbey, and Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin one last time for 30 Rock.
Here are the main TV winners:
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire, HBO)
Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad, AMC)
Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom, HBO)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men, AMC)
Damian Lewis (Homeland, Showtime)
WINNER: Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad, AMC)
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
Claire Danes (Homeland, Showtime)
Michele Dockery (Downton Abbey, PBS)
Jessica Lange (American Horror Story: Asylum, FX)
Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife, CBS)
Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey, PBS)
WINNER: Claire Danes (Homeland, Showtime)
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock, NBC)
Ty Burrell (Modern Family, ABC)
Louis C.K. (Louie, FX)
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory, CBS)
Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family, ABC)
WINNER: Alec Baldwin (30 Rock, NBC)
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie, Showtime)
Tina Fey (30 Rock, NBC)
Amy Poehler (Parks & Recreation, NBC)
Sofia Vergara (Modern Family, ABC)
Betty White (Hot in Cleveland, TV Land)
WINNER: Tina Fey (30 Rock, NBC)
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Breaking Bad (AMC)
Downton Abbey (PBS)
Mad Men (AMC)
WINNER: Downton Abbey (PBS)
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
30 Rock (NBC)
Modern Family (ABC)
Nurse Jackie (Showtime)
The Office (NBC)
WINNER: Modern Family (ABC)
Lifetime Achievement Award
Dick Van Dyke
View the complete TV portion winners and to discuss the winners!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.